5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted and beautifully presented...
I bought this book having slowly drifted away from cooking at home. After some self annalysis I was simply bored with what I was eating. This book had a tough job to do - get me eating properly and allow me to enjoy my kitchen again!

Published on 14 May 2006 by William Lyons

2.0 out of 5 stars Not in line with my expectations from other reviews
I have never previously felt the need to write a review before, but after reading all the positive reviews on this book I bought it. And was then highly disappointed as it did not meet my expectations.

Published on 24 Sep 2006 by Busy Working Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted and beautifully presented..., 14 May 2006
William Lyons (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Working Cook: A Year of Easy Cooking (Hardcover)

Firstly, it's beautifully printed and presented and would sit happily on your coffee table. More importantly however is the authors ability to produce restaurant quality food with very few ingredients that look, taste and provide constant interest to your diet.

The recipes will never overwhelm you and as they require so little planning you can do them after work when you're tired. This book really has done its job and I would thoroughly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not in line with my expectations from other reviews, 24 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Working Cook: A Year of Easy Cooking (Hardcover)

The book itself has a nice feel to it. The photography is brilliant and makes the food look inviting. In fact a few of the recipes sound delicious, but not what I was expecting. However I now notice the subtlety of the very appropriate title - 'quick recipes' and not 'quick meals'. This in fact says it all. The recipes are quick for a reason - a lot of them are salads. Most of the them would thus make great starters or lovely lunches, as opposed to 'quick meals' to enjoy at the end of a busy day, which is what I wanted/thought I was buying. So for readers looking for light meals (grilled cheese/soup/salad), this could be the book for you. Those looking for quick, yummy, nutrionally balanced and filling family meals should look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT for working people at all., 13 Aug 2007
Glen (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Working Cook: A Year of Easy Cooking (Hardcover)
The same thoughts as 'Busy working mum' from Surrey, I was truly disappointed when after reading such positive comments I found the book itself to be of very little use to me.

The book itself is beautiful and the recipes do indeed sound delicious, and I'm sure the cooking times are accurately low, however to shop for all the unusual ingredients would take hours per day. I expected this to be full of easy to prepare recipes using ingredients that normal working people would either have around or would find easy to purchase, however unless you work in an international and fully stocked delicatessen most of the recipes will only be possible after several hours of searching and shopping.

It also seems that an oddly high number of recipes use fish (which I don't particularly enjoy eating or having the smell in my kitchen for days).

Overall a very poor choice, and not one I would recommend to anyone.

The Working Cook: A Year of Easy Cooking
The Working Cook: A Year of Easy Cooking by Carina Cooper (Hardcover - 2 May 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01