‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How the West was won?, 24 Oct. 2011
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk (Oldham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flashman and the Redskins (The Flashman Papers, Book 6) (Paperback)
I have praised George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series before and I shall probably continue to do so as long as I continue to read them; they are a national treasure and our equivalent of Dumas or Sienkiewicz. Whilst "Flashman and the Redskins" is not about English Victorian history it is still about that amazing era and manages to both amuse and inform us in a wonderfully approachable manner - there are many students of history who would benefit by reading the stuff. Fraser doesn't just tell us a great story but also makes us very aware of how outstanding the opening up of the West really was - and how sudden! He fills his tale with facts, balancing "fiction" with true scholarship and backed up by a long bibliography so that you can go off and really get to grips with the era. I was almost blown apart by the fact that it was possible for a young child to travel west across the "empty" plains in a waggon train surviving Indian attacks, desperate conditions, see oceans of buffalo roll over the landscape and then, in his later years make the same trip in reverse either by train or plane and see the landscape changed utterly, with towns and great cities where once stood a burning waggon and lay only corpses. This is a great book. Our hero Flashman's morals are still a bit questionable at times but he is no coward, merely a survivor surrounded by larger-than-life characters who have no real sense of adventure, fun or their own mortality. This one comes HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Explodes like a spark in a box of fireworks on the 4th of July., 3 Aug. 2008
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
George McDonald Frazer does it again in this the 7th outing for our hero Flashy. I say 7th but really this is two books in one in that the first part sees our hero in the USA in 1849. The second is a return 27 years later and my does Frazer use this to good effect. Flashman after an absolutely tip top first half gets to 'reap what he sowed' in the second.
This is an absolutely brilliant book and I learned more from this about the early USA than I have done from a lot of so called history books. Frazer is meticulous in his research and how Flashy fitted in to the key moments of the good old USA The Battle of the Bighorn is explained and the character of Geronimo, Kit Carson, Grant are carefully woven in to this brilliant tapestry that is as lively as a spark in a box of fireworks. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!, 14 Mar. 2013
If I could have written a book then this is the one I would have been proud to call my own. Fabulous research, touches of wit and humour, adventure and excitement, this book has them all.
I love the way he weaves fiction with fact and leaves you thinking about the book weeks after it has been read.
I have read all the Flashman novels and they are all superb but in my view this is Fraser at his peak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashman and the Redskins, 27 May 2004
Mrs. N. S. Munro "Reviewr" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Quite simply the best of the Flashman series...Fraser delightfully ignores political correctness and shoots straight from the hip. A wonderful, and wonderfully educational tale brings the old west to life as no Hollywood Movie has ever done.
JEB Grant, Crazy Horse, George Custer, doesn't old Flashy have a grand old time, bulling and blustering his way through the Indian West! Read and enjoy,it's a book that is the next best thing to time travel..Fraser TAKES you there!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERBLY POLITICALLY INCORRECT, 13 Jan. 2003
T Marshall (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Having read American Studies as part of my degree this book is an absolute and incomparable dream for me; a historian who was actually there when the historic events in the 'Native American's' history took place, either rogering or running from one situation to the next.

Flashman comes to us from the book Tom Brown's Schooldays as the chief bully. Through the various volumes of his memoires we have followed him from one military catastrophy to another as he retreats whenever possible, blaspheming on the way. In this volume we cover his time as an 1849-er travelling to Santa Fey, and in the second half he manages to be part of Custer's Last stand.

The beauty of this book, as with all Flashman's, is the truth of the author, who remains accurate to events, and educates the reader (albeit unwittingly) along the way. He is never frightened of telling it straight and damning the liberals along the way. But the bottom line is always that this is just his opinion, taken from his viewpoint.

I recommend this book to anyone with a soul and a sense of humour...

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, 21 April 2013
English scoundrel meets the key players in the Wild West. Great history, great adventures and all done with no morals - outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic 'factional' tale from GMF, 15 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
Is George MacDonald Fraser Scotland's finest storyteller since Stevenson ?
Unquestionably.
There's no chance he'll ever win the Booker Prize, but his books are invariably more entertaining, informative and a **** better read than much of what sits on our bookshop shelves today.
This episode from the memoirs of history's most decorated coward sees the bold Harry Flashman, amongst other escapades, providing us with the definitive version of how George A Custer met his grisly end at Little Big Horn. And how did H Flashman Esq survive to tell the tale ....... read and find out !
The usual blend of historical fact - wonderfully researched and annotated - and inspired imagination, make this one of the finest entries in the magnificent Flashman chronicles.
Read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explodes like a careless match in a box of fireworks on the 4th July, 10 Aug. 2008
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series of books, but best read in order., 2 July 2014
I am now on the last and eleventh book in the Flashman series. A thoroughly good account of a rogue's successes despite his cowardice and immorality. The books also give a great deal of information about contemporary history which provides the backdrop to Flashman's adventures. I learnt much about the wars in China, India and Afghanistan as well as the true background of the native Americans, John Brown's fruitless rebellion etc which sent me pouring through relevant history pages. George MacDonal Fraser adds liberal notes in support of the factual elements in the stories.

Damn good reading, I shall be sorry when I get to the end of the last one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'half flash', 18 Oct. 2011
T. Vallely "tedaze" (UK) - See all my reviews
Another fantastic Flashman adventure, actually two adventures because the book is split. The first half continues from his odyssey in 'Flash for Freedom' 1849-50 and sees are man head west in charge of a wagon train filled with whores!
The second half chronicles Flash on a visit to the United States with his wife Elseph during the years 1875-76. Flashies past eventually catches up to land him in the middle of the Battle of Little Bighorn!
The first half is pure 5 star vintage Flashman, with the second deserving four stars at least, although it is here we learn of the invaluable Flashman technique self named as the 'half flash'!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Flashman and the Redskins (The Flashman Papers, Book 6)
Flashman and the Redskins (The Flashman Papers, Book 6) by George MacDonald Fraser (Paperback - 6 Feb. 2006)