5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing less than a direct consequence of Belgarath´s story
"Polgara the sorceress" is a book that can be liked by everybody that enjoys reading an engaging fantasy book, but will only be fully appreciated by those who have already read "The Belgariad", "The Malloreon" and "Belgarath the sorcerer" (yes, in that order).
Published on 14 Nov 2005 by M. B. Alcat

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful conclusion to a wonderful series of books.
Published on 20 Jan 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing less than a direct consequence of Belgarath´s story, 14 Nov 2005
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
The reason for that emphatic statement is simple: this book is the autobiography of Polgara, one of the main characters in those books. As such, "Polgara the sorceress" contains spoilers that could dim your enjoyment of the previously mentioned books. And believe me, "The Belgariad", "The Malloreon" and "Belgarath the sorcerer" are so wonderful that they fully deserve all the time that you need to read them first :)
"The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon" tell the story of a group of friends in a dangerous and magical quest, while "Belgarath the sorcerer" recounts the same story from the point of view of one of the main characters, who has the benefit of being almost immortal, thus having a thoroughly different perspective regarding the events that preceded that quest and everybody involved in it.
"Polgara the sorceress" is nothing less than a direct consequence of "Belgarath the sorcerer". Polgara is Belgarath's daughter, a sorceress and the guardian of the Rivan line. She didn't exactly agree with her father's version of what happened, and told her friends so. Despite that, Polgara wouldn't have gone so far as to write her own autobiography is Ce'Nedra (spurred by curiosity) hadn't plotted for her to do so.
Truth to be told, I specially enjoyed Polgara's take on what happened, and how she explained many things that Belgarath hadn't considered important. Also, I think that this book allows the readers to understand better Polgara's role in the preparation of the "Events", and how she became "Lady Polgara" and "Duchess of Erat".
In my opinion, this is a book that the fans of "The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon" will thoroughly enjoy. I always liked Polgara, and considered her to be a very likeable albeit perhaps overly mysterious character. I really enjoyed reading about her life, and I bet you will too. Recommended!
Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Polgara the Sorceress, 2 Aug 2003
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
I read the Belgariad and the Mallorean a long time ago and found them to be fantastic, I couldn't put them down. In fact I nearly got fired through reading one of them when I was supposed to be working!
But at the time this book didn't interest me enough to buy it, but I recently have and have found it to be just as good as the series, I sometimes find that companion novels are just a rehash of the original story but this insight into Polgaras upbringing was I thought, far from boring. This book helps you to understand her character and the occasional digs and comments to her father and the other characters that feature in the series made me chuckle.
I suppose I'm biased as Polgara is one of my all time favourite characters but I think anyone who likes the fantasy genre would find this book as fascinating as I did, in fact it's made me pick up the Belgariad and start all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, a totally engaging read, 12 Feb 2003
iz (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
Polgara the sorceress was to be frank one of the best books I have read for a very long time. The style of the writing is easy to read and understand, but still grips the reader much better than many "action-packed" books with more frenzied and careless writing, and the storyling catches the imagination perfectly. The story, told in Polgara's own words, is in places funny and in places sad, but there are no unlikely swings in mood or pace which would spoil the story, and it is all told with the same perspective and imposing presence anyone who has read the original series will connect with the matriarchal sorceress. It answers many irritating questions from the original ten books, and gives the 'other side' of Belgarath the sorceror's tale in the other accompanying book.
As relaxing, no-effort reading matter I would definately give this book top marks, and it is easy to pick up and pout down without losing the plot. It is a several-layered story, with layers of simple storytelling over a deeper, more thoughtful ideal, and is suitable for any type of reader accordingly.
The only problem I would mention about this book is that it might spoil some of the earlier books if it is the first you read, because since it answers all the questions the earlier books are not likely to make such an impact on the reader. But it would also be possible to read it first, if you like to not have loose ends in stories, and some people may even prefer it that way. All in all, I heartily recommend this book and its companion to anyone interested!

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful conclusion to a wonderful series of books., 20 Jan 2001
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
I have to say, although it may just be a male preference, I far more enjoyed reading Belgarath's version of events. However there was no way that I was going to read the 'Belgariad', 'Malorien' and 'Belgarath the Sorcerer' without bringing them to a conclusion; thet's what this book does and does it well. So if your thinking about reading this one then you've most likely read the others. Which means threre's probably nothing that can hold you back from completing an excellent fantasy epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, a must for any Eddings fan, 29 Dec 1998
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
Once again a triumph from the Eddings camp(although I have to admit that I am slightly biased!). You grow up with Polgara, laugh with her and weep with her and share all the troubles, triumphs and losses as she and her family steer their world along the path of destiny. At last, all the events that are just tantalisingly mentioned in passing in 'The Belgariad' and 'The Mallorean' are recounted in glorious detail, from the destruction of Vo Wacune to the guarding of the Rivan line and ultimately, the birth of the Godslayer. I can guarantee that once you pick up Polgara the Sorceress, you won't put it down until you have finished it, I know I didn't. My only criticism is that, eventually, this particular series must come to an end as all the stories will have been told.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remembered it., 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
This is the second prequel to the Belgariad and Malloreon (after Belgarath the sorcerer).

This volume, as the title implies, tells us Polgara's side of the story, from her childhood in the Vale, growing up with her twin sister Beldaran, spending time in her tree, to the guarding of the Rivan line and her moving to Faldor's farm with Garion.

She tells us about the pain of the separation from her sister when the latter leaves to marry Riva, about her learning medicine when Beldaran becomes pregnant, and about the devastating loss when her sibling finally passes away.

Then follows an account of the time she spent in Asturia as the Duchess of Erat, trying to reunite the belligerent Wacites, Arends and Mimbrates into a semblance of peace, and of the war that finally breaks out, killing several close friends. Polgara then retires to her estate near Lake Sulturn and later creates Sendaria.

Polgara manages to save the Rivan line when she rescues young Geran, the only remaining heir after an terrible attack on the Isle of the Winds. From then on her task will be to protect these little boys from Torak and his minions, and to secure the progeny until the Godslayer is born.

All in all, this volume wasn't as good as I remembered it, although I'm sure I enjoyed some chapters, such as Polgara's time in Asturia, more than the first time. The favourite passages I was looking forward to weren't actually that poignant, and I found her tone and haughty petulance rather irritating in the long run. Not to mention the awfully long months it took me to read it again, which seem now a bit like a loss of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and was disappointed when it ended, I read many books across all genres and this is one of my favourite books of all. It gives so much background information on the history of the Alorns, Chereks etc, even more than in Belgarath the Sorcerer. However I would have liked Polgara the Sorceress to cover more of the later aspects with Belgarion and I did find that at points certain aspects of Polgara's personality did seem to contradict with the other books. All in all its a good read and if you are interested in the history of the Kingdoms like Sendaria and Riva and the constant background manipulation by the Gods and Aldur's disciples then it is well worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book explaining the events of a great saga, 1 Aug 2000
This review is from: Polgara the Sorceress (Paperback)
The two books "Polgara the Sorceress" and "Belgarath the Sorcerer" expand on the events accounted in the two 5-book sagas "The Begariad" and "The Malloreon".
Both books give another perspective to what happened and why. These books are a must for the lovers of the original series and a fine conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing, 23 Jan 2005
I loved reading the Belgariad and Mallorean books, as before them I had not not even looked at reading what is termed science fiction.
I was delighted when I saw that, unlike many authors David and Leigh Eddings had decided to present the story from the perspective of the two main characters, to me it provides a refreshing and useful insight into the complex relationship between Polgara and Belgarath.
Having read Belgarath's "account" of what happend, it was interesting and enjoyable to get the account from Polgara's perspective. While Belagarth appears to be a forceful and complex charcter in the series, Polgara, particularly in the Belgaried, takes more of a backgrouhnd role to the Garion story. Nethertheless, the books always hinted at the importance and complexity of her character, behaviour and relationships, particularly the relationship between father and daughter.
Unlike some reviews I have seen, I did not think Polgara came accross as particularly vain or petty, but as a complex and dynamic woman, very similar to her father, which in part, explains their complex relationship. For me, the charcter of Polgara became much more real and lifelike, and explained many of her feelings and actions in the Belgariad and Mallorean series.
I enjoyed the fact that unlike in many stories the relationship between Belgarath and Polgara was not one of husband and wife, but of father and daughter. I found it very amusing to read about the elaborate and imaginative ways the characters mask their real feelings for each other, through bickering and sniping.
The Polgara book similarly to the Belgarath story, enabled a more detailed and complete picture of the ongoing story in general as well as providing a great tie-up to the series.
The Book also allowed, when re-reading the Belgariad and Mallorean, a deeper and more interesting understanding of not only Polgara and Belagarath, but also the development and progression of other charcters such as, Garion, Ce'Nedra, and Silk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow-up to Belgarath the Sorcerer, 30 Mar 2014
Having read all the books in order it was only right to finish off the series fully. Awesome. Can say no more than that. Perfect to be made into film or tv

Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad)
Polgara the Sorceress (Belgariad) by Leigh Eddings (Paperback - 2 May 2006)
6.29