4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read
Published on 7 Mar 2010 by teamsmugs

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pleasant
This was a nice book to read while on holiday. The tone and subject matter made me feel that it was clearly not supposed to be 'real life', but, rather, some rom-com version of London - and that was fine by me. I had loved Elegance, and had rather less affection for Innocence, but this book was a very pleasant romp. I particularly loved the modern art storyline...
Published on 13 Mar 2008 by Mrs. J. A. Collins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pleasant, 13 Mar 2008
Mrs. J. A. Collins (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)

I'm a bit puzzled by reviewers who claimed to find the plot hard to follow - it may have featured more than one central character, but it was hardly War and Peace, and was very easy to read and digest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
I had read and thoroughly enjoyed Kathleen Tessaro's other books so was really pleased when this one was published - but after reading some of the poor reviews on here I was almost didn't bother buying it. However, I'm glad that I did as I've actually really enjoyed it. It's fair to say that it's not one of those books that you "just can't put down" or one that's going to go on your list of favourites - but for a light hearted, easy read I would highly recommend it. Unlike some of the other reviews, I really like the way she tells the story from viewpoints of so many different characters - it's a bit like "Love Actually" in book form! Give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Flirty Treat!, 18 Dec 2009
Janet Male "oya1" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a real treat. The author has a delicious sense of humour and can write equally well about tea in Claridges or egg n chips in the greasy spoon. I suspect she herself is equally comfortable in both and also equally comfortable, non judgmental and at ease with whoever she meets. This comes across beautifully in this lovely novel..

It is a whimsical modern fairy tale which has some lovely multi dimensional, different and interesting characters. I was genuinely pleasantly surprised at the turns it took in a few places. This was refreshing as often it is far to easy to guess what is going to happen in books, only to have to wade through endless prattle to be proven right.

And what is `real life' anyway? Everyone's idea or experience of that is different, and, obviously, subjective. The point I believe she makes beautifully [if you need a point, rather than just the desire for a lovely book to cosy down with] that not being true to yourself and not following your heart rarely leads to happiness.

By the way, one reviewer mentioned that the author has inaccuracies in the book, as proven by saying Julie Andrews was in My Fair Lady....well....she was...the stage version, not the film. And she was amazing apparently.

A novel is not non fiction, it can be true to life, pure fantasy, or a bit of both. And having lived in London for many years and having had a very eclectic existence there I don't find this book that unbelievable at all....

but upflifting and refreshing.

If you like this style of writing I suspect you would also enjoy Julian Fellowes, as I find them rather similar.

And far from humdrum...

So run yourself a bubble bath, get the butler to bring you a glass of Dom Perignon and settle back and read this lovely novel.. But of you prefer a more humdrum idea of `reality' get yourself a cup of tea upon your return from the supermarket and read the book standing up as you do the ironing!

3.0 out of 5 stars More like Elegance please!, 10 Mar 2008
Ms. A. J. Brown "elodie2005" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
I have loved Kathleen Tessaro's previous books 'Elegance' and 'Innocence'. When I saw she had published a third I was really excited. I was a little disappointed when I began to read though. Her previous books have focussed on one main character in depth. Tessaro has a really engaging style that makes it hard to put the book down and you really engage with the characters. There were just too many characters in this book for me to enjoy as I want to know more about particular characters and there isn't the space. I also have to say that I didn't find any of the characters very interesting as I couldn't relate to them. There were so many central characters and the story would have been so much the richer if some of the numerous subplots could be shed. I could quite happily have read a whole book about Leticia or Olivia without the introduction of flirts, artists or long lost fathers! (Kathleen, if you're reading, I'd love a book about Leticia & Sam!) That was the beauty of previous novels, the investigation of coming to terms with life, and finding that you can change and become what you want to be. This was here in this novel, just rather hidden by so many other stories vying to be told.

I found the plot a little far fetched and this also made it a little hard to relate to. At points it ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous yet constantly encourages you to believe that it is all real. It felt that her editors had asked her to try to write more like other 'chick lit' authors with a huge range of characters and plots but it is the very fact that she didn't previously write like that which made me enjoy her novels. I was genuinely moved by Elegance as I could really relate to the main character and I think there are probably more people out there like that main character than nearly all of the ones we see in 'The Flirt'.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great idea for a novel however not fully developed into a gripping storyline, 1 July 2008
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
First of all If i was looking for a pick up put down read for the beach then by all means this book is suitable, I however found the begining of the novel entertaining but quickly found my interest in the book dwindle, there are several errors throughout the book that have been mentioned in other reviews. Also I found that the author seemed to rush the ending of the book, leaving me feel a little empty at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere in here is a good book, 10 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
i found Elegance a clever novel, and thought this might be fun to read on the train. The Short-Cuts style plotting interested me too - I love the stories of people's lives weaving in and out of each other. Unfortunately, what we got were slightly one-dimensional characters drawn from a quick glance at the Daily Mail and early Jilly Cooper. I found it hard to believe in any of them - particularly the 22yr old single mother who left school at fifteen, yet whose child was still at nursery, and dropped out before doing 'O-levels' (surely this would make her nearer forty?) - probably more the fault of the editor than the author, but still jarring. I would have preferred that the author concentrated on one or two of the really interesting ideas (the lingerie maker and mistress of reinvention and her uncle) rather than leaving me feeling like I'd been bashed over the head with a copy of the Evening Standard's colour supplement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated!, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
I adored "Elegance", was less enamored of "Innocence", but fell in love again with "The Flirt". A whimsical piece of fun, at one point "The Flirt" made me giggle so hard when reading it in the tub that my son had to knock on the door to see if I was ok (if you're wondering, it was provoked by the encounter where Hughie pretends he can speak French.)I am puzzled as to why some people found the plot hard to follow, it was hardly rocket science and I found it a very effortless read.

It reminded me a lot of Jilly Cooper's novel "The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous", another thoroughly enjoyable piece of fun - if you end up liking "The Flirt" be sure to read the Jilly Cooper one!

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Elegance, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
I found this book not to be quite as good as Elegance by the same authour, but still a good read. It seemed not really complete, the ending being a bit hazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flirt, 6 April 2014
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
although purchased as a used item, it was impossible to tell, book was like a brand new off shelf product

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Flirt (Paperback)
A most excellent book and I could not put it down. I will certainly read more of this particular writer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Flirt
The Flirt by Kathleen Tessaro (Paperback - 21 Jan 2008)