4.0 out of 5 stars A superb book about a totally bizarre human being...but just too long
The subject of this biography Gabriele D'Annunzio is a truly strange character that almost none of us has ever heard of, but who had a profound influence on Italy before and after the first world war.

I think Francis Wheen nails it with his comment on the back that "This is a magnificent portrait of a preposterous character..."
D'Annunzio was so strange,...
Published 12 months ago by CharlesA

3.0 out of 5 stars The subject is fascinating, but...
I am only half way through, while d'Annunzio is a fascinating character, the chapters aren't in chronological order, which may be fashionable but I find it slightly irritating. Also the excess of elaborate detail, I feel it could have been written much more succinctly. I have had to have a break for a while and read something else. And despite, or perhaps because of...
Published 5 months ago by MR FANTASTICO

4.0 out of 5 stars The fascinating story of a strangely influential little man., 28 Aug. 2014
This was a fascinating book, but not an easy read. It was well written, but I felt that it went on just a bit too long. Having said that I'm not sure where it could have been cut. I'm glad that I read it and also glad that I have finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous biography of a larger than life figure, 28 July 2014
I'm not certain that Lucy Hughes-Hallett has induced me to want to read any of d'Annunzio's works. That aside, this is a masterful synthesis of a most intriguing, perverse, and narcissistic human being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider drugs, sex and decoration, 23 Oct. 2014
SW BECKETT-DOYLE "Stephen" (London) - See all my reviews
An exhausting journey, I need to rest. What a star, such brilliant vanity; a murderer and fiendish artist. To have sex with him must have been exquisite.

4.0 out of 5 stars A complex story of a complex being. A real ..., 11 Aug. 2014
M. WYNNE-ELLIS (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pike (Paperback)
A complex story of a complex being. A real potboiler; you never know what this odd ball will be up to next.

4.0 out of 5 stars She seems very pleased with it, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Pike (Paperback)
I have not read this book, but bought it for my friend. She seems very pleased with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep research into a little known historical figure., 14 April 2013
I was glad to have been introduced to this little known politician; significant to the background of Italian Fascist history; but I found that the structure of the narrative chosen by the author was confusing; the backwards and forwards in time sequence did not work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 31 Dec. 2013
Jon (Taunton, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Lucy-Hughes-Hallet has constructed a masterpiece.
This is a beautiful, skilful, and erudite work.
The subject matter, 'The Pike', is shown to be a fascinating character, larger than life, and full of colour.
I cannot lavish enough praise on the author for this masterful book.
I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it.
Brava!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever analogy, 21 Nov. 2013
Haven't got to the end yet but am really enjoying this biog. The author's style is very accessible and she deftly portrays the charismatic yet repulsive d'Annunzio in a very engaging style. Pleased with my purchase and will recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too tense, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Pike (Paperback)
Be warned - as the author admits in her introduction she uses techniques that are found in fiction instead of sticking to tried and tested styles that biographers use. Two of her methods stand out. The chapters are not in chronological order so one is left clutching at thin air when thinking about the motives behind her hero's actions. Secondly, some of the sections in the book are written in the historic present. This is a technique that is fashionable amongst authors at the moment. It assumes a level of intelligence in the reader round about that of an infant for that is how children's authors write. The very young do not grasp future or past tenses very readily so that is excusable. This style is used to give an impression of immediacy such as in poor historical reenactments on television when it really only sounds as if the ill-educated are discussing what happened this afternoon. The real context has been utterly lost. Come on authors, you can do better than that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost Chapter of History, 23 Nov. 2013
This book won a prize (Ben Johnson?) and I was intrigued by the story line which was unknown to me,but about a period which I thought I knew i.e. pre 2nd World war. I thought I had heard about Fiume,from stamp collecting? It is well written,I had the e-version,and I found it interesting, although without an interest in European Pre-war politics,not everybody would,I suspect.The subject,d'Annunzio is impossible !

The Pike
The Pike by Lucy Hughes-Hallett (Paperback - 29 Aug. 2013)