5.0 out of 5 stars A writer of authentic people, places and things
Published on 12 Jun 2007 by A learning Goddess

3.0 out of 5 stars be careful!
Undoubtably a beautiful book, but watch out - the black flocking on the cover comes off, and leaves dirty great marks on any light coloured fabrics!

Content-wise I found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. Some lovely pages and great info, but ocassionally I found it a bit too 'glossy-mag' for my liking (fix your cellulite! buy things you can't afford! etc)...
Published on 7 Jan 2007 by stargirl

5.0 out of 5 stars A writer of authentic people, places and things, 12 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
Wow! What an amazing little treasure trove of addresses, phone numbers, websites for the most eclectic bunch of stuff, ever. Dreamy homewares websites where I purchased the most beautiful old fashioned brushes and soaps, store addresses that have led me into Aladins Caves that stock everthing from Morroccan lamps and tangines to the prefect French stripy top (I've been looking for years for a top like John Galliano's and I eventually found one in Labour and Wait in London). I have bought a Goddess Guide for every women I know including my two seventeen year old twin daughters after India Knight and many other Mums gave it the most amazing reviews here on Amazon. This is just one of those books that I wanted to share with every woman I know, I didn't want them having my own book though,I keep that all for me and carry it with me everywhere, especially on a day's shopping in London (ribbons, cakes, chocolate, perfume) I dip into it for daily inspiration, as others have said before me, it's simply divine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Christmas present, 10 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
I loved this book, the author really knows her stuff and she is very likable - unlike some `style gurus' who shall remain nameless! I am a bit clueless when it comes to style and this book gave me loads of tips on how to look good. I am already planning a trip to London to visit some of the great places that she mentioned. Okay so I can't really afford a lot of the stuff she talks about but a girl can dream. This is definitely a book I am going to be buying my friends for Christmas along with The Shopaholic's Guide to Buying Online and How to Walk in High Heels. That's Christmas sorted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it, 13 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
I take this with me everywhere I go, like having an honest friend next to you telling you all of her best secret hang outs and really cool things she has learned about and tried out. An honest opinion on everything from a really down to earth voice. Does not hurt that this book also looks stunningly beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant book, 21 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
Oh my God! What an amazing book, I really didn't know what to expect and was blown away. Not only does she ask some of my favourite celebrity fashion designers and beauty gurus loads of useful questions, but they also reveal their favourite books, their favourite perfumes and the names of their favourite places. It's got a real diary feel to it and there is so much information in it that I have never, ever heard of, stuff that I never knew existed that I really want to own. It's also really entertaining, I especially like the part where she explains about working out with Linda Evangalistas celeb trainer and Linda was right next to her in the gym and it made her work herself into a huge sweat, classic! Or when she took advice from an expert on seduction and tried to allow a man to seduce her and slowed everything she did down even her speech. The guy dropped her and ran away screaming, he thought she was having a stroke, nuts! She makes me laugh out loud with some of the things she says and it is written in a really lovely way. How can one person know this amount of stuff, her head must be fit to explode. There's no bull in this book either, she's my new hero...so much in fact that I take this book everywhere with me and twist the arm of everyone I meet to get one and read her observations and tips. This little goldmine helps with buying a coat, choosing new knickers and finding the right shape jeans as well as pointing out tons of hot places that she has found around my city that I am goin to check out. It's jammed full of great info and it also looks fab, with her cute, funky little sketches, little things that she has collected from all the cities and celebrities that she visited and shots of her meeting just about everyone. I particularly love the pages where she hangs out with Tracey Emin in her studio and the crazy letter that Emin wrote on the following pages about her own house and cat. Or the day she spent with Christian Louboutin and he showed her how to draw one of his shoes and then took her ribbon shopping in Paris. It is a magnificently researched, magical book that let me look inside the world of some of my favourite people. She gives the most beautiful advice for girls kind of different from all of the other books that I have read. I think her stuff is wicked!

3.0 out of 5 stars be careful!, 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)

My favourite book of this genre is and remains 'A year of style' by Frederic Fekkai. I recommend taking a look at that too if you're deciding which to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, 26 Sep 2006
India Knight - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
This is just such a great book. It is ravishingly beautiful to look at - every page is a work of art. Also, more to the point, it is the most blissful read - stuffed to the gills with the author's genuinely stylish (quite rare, actually - most books with 'goddess' or 'bombshell' in the title are desperately naff, or just desperate full stop) tips, advice and genius 'secret' addresses on everything from makeup to afternoon tea. Not to sound like a self-referential arse or anything, but if you liked my book, The Shops, you're going to think you've died and gone to heaven if you buy this book. Which you should - there isn't a woman alive who wouldn't LOVE it. I wish I'd written it. I'm going to carry it about in my handbag for a little while. It's that kind of book. I don't know who Gisele Scanlon is, but she rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy!, 20 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
This is a very groovy book at a very groovy price. It is an ideal gift for any woman who likes to keep in touch with what's hot and what's not. It has a lovely cover, and is very interesting to read. YOu can sit and read it for an hour or two, or dip in and out as you please. It is ideally suited to ladies in their 20s and 30s, I would say, perfect for a girly girl, and is well worth the price. Much better than "how to walk in high heels" which is quite dull to read and patronising in places. By contrast, Goddess keeps the reader interested on every page. A worthwile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful book I've ever seen, 19 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book two weeks ago and think it is the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Not only is the information cutting edge it is beautifully photographed and stunningly illustrated (I'm almost sure it's all done by the same lady who has written it). Like a very beautiful journal full of secret addresses, funny personal anecdotes and great tips, it's utterly unique as this style of book goes. I was especially surprised by the beginning of each chapter where the author tells a little story (very personal and intimate) and then the rest of each chapter is steeped in Style, Beauty, Food, Travel tips and secret shopping addresses and advice with the help of big, big names in the fashion and beauty world. This is a lovely, lovely book, full of practical tips from everyone from Christian Louboutin in his studio in Paris (I learnt all about those special red soled shoes and how to care for them) to Dolce & Gabbana in Milan (create the prefect wardrobe) and Laura Mercier on finding the perfect foundation. It's thoroughly enjoyable and ingeniously put together. For me however the big bonus is Gisele Scanlon's secret shop addresses and numbers and her perfume shopping advice it has been very helpful to me in the past week when shopping for different kinds of scents for my sister and friends. Her knowledge can be quite brilliant at times on travel, style and beauty matters. Overall this book is a truly beautiful read and the author seems very kind and helpful and shares everything she knows in a very friendly manner like having a friend tell you about a place she has been or a thing she has seen. Highlights for me after two weeks of dipping would be finding the perfect exercise bra, my make-up bag essentials and of course my favourite subjects perfume shopping and beautiful cupcakes which I found as one of her addresses in afternoon tea. I love this book and everything about it screams girly glamour. I'll be giving this as a gift to all of my best female friends over the next few days, however my own copy will stay in my handbag as I'm hoping to check out a few more of those fabulous shopping addresses come the January sales.

2.0 out of 5 stars A reminder why you should never judge a book by it's cover, 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Paperback)
I picked this book up en route to the till in a high street shop, seduced by its pretty wrapping (and paid full whack for it too, unfortunately). However, the content fails to deliver - it's a mish-mash of information, and tries to cover too many things, from flirting to gardening to getting chewing gum off clothes. There's even a chapter on snuggling down in front of the tv (?), namely what duvet to buy and where to buy snuggly pyjamas. Blimey. Does anyone actually need to be told this kind of stuff?

Ultimately there is nothing in this book that is particularly inspiring. Many of the places the author recommends in London I have been to in the past and can confirm they are very expensive, eg hairdressers, eyebrow bars and beauticians. There are many other places that cost much less and give the same, if not better, results. As for the fashion tips - how many of us can afford / are willing to spend £400 on a pair of Louboutins? And don't get me started with spending £20,000 on a pair of teeth to rival Buffy; after that chapter I considered taking this ridiculous book back for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very special book and very inspirational, 21 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Goddess Guide (Hardcover)
A very well manicured thumbs up from me as I found a great new jeans website in it that allows you to figure out which body type you are and then suggests suitable brands and they're discounted. I also found a new perfume by trying out one of the exquisite perfume shops on the perfume pages. All of this type of information in one volume for me is just invaluable. It's so packed full of tips that it must have taken the author a very long time to write. I'm still finding new pieces of information every day in it and I've had it over a month. This book is so beautiful to own, it's magic! I bought it because India Knight of The Sunday Times said in an earlier review about this book on amazon that it was stuffed full of authentic and eclectic 'secret' addresses and she wishes she had written it. I'm glad I took her advice, this book has really enhanced my life!

ARRAY(0xa9561810)

The Goddess Guide
The Goddess Guide by Gisèle Scanlon (Hardcover - 18 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01