Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2007
Overall a good, if worrying, read let down by the fact from four degrees onward the forcasts were based on paleoclimatic studies, which can be a useful guide to the future, but a very generalised. He also tended to to the hyperbolic in a few of the thumbnail politcal sketches of what may happen. But by far the most obvious error was his support for an impractical and intrusive system of individual carbon rationing/trading.

Apart from that I'd highly recommend it, just don't expect to sleep well after you have read it.
on 26 March 2007
In this readable, sober and very well researched book , Mark Lynas has done us a huge service by explaining the real implications of the range of temperature rises forecast by the world's combined climate change scientists of the IPCC, and how this warming will affect us all. It is very hard for most of us to understand the dry scientific language of the experts , and his major contribution is to translate the scientific message and show us just how dangerous global warming really is. The probable impact on every aspect of our daily lives in the future is frightening , and his book shows us why we need to act now to avoid irreversible damage to our future .
on 24 March 2015
Depressing read spend the time you would be reading this working out how you can avoid adding to the problem. Hassle your local politician to support cleaner energy and lots and lots of insulation.
on 22 July 2008
no politition could read this book and stay in office with 'business as usual' without being in total denial. not sensational in it's presentation, but leaves little to the imagination. Surely we've had it, haven't we? Don't leave too much money to your children - it will be of little use.
on 18 November 2009
I heard the author on the radio giving an overview of his book and I thought hmm that sounds interesting , how wrong I was ?The first couple of chapters are ok and gets the message accross.But as the author continues he constantly refers back to previuos chapters which tends to make the narative very jumpy. Likewise he uses a lot of technical terms without explanation which does not help the readers comprehension. An alright book that could and should have been better
on 3 April 2009
The book was interesting to read and written so that none scientists could understand. It filled in quite a number of gaps in my knowledge of climate change. The material was well researched with an extensive list of original research papers. It would have been interesting to see a detailed plan for the U.K. to survive the six degree scenario.
on 17 April 2014
Climate change is an issue we all need to consider - it is the biggest threat to life on this planet and we are all responsible and need to act now.
on 21 January 2016
An interesting take on how climate change might affect the world's nations - A book I frequently recommend to those interested in climate change.
on 5 December 2010
Six degrees very clearly shows life on earth in the near future if we keep boosting global warming.
Time to read it and then act accordingly.
on 16 March 2014
Great book, I am a massive bookworm so I love all books but I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and family.