5.0 out of 5 stars The Tea Rose- what a fab book!
I love books from this era so as soon as I read the back I knew I had to buy it and read it. Unlike other wishy-washy books featuring this time period, I was enthralled with this book and how well written it is.

Published on 3 Aug 2006 by L. Cowburn

2.0 out of 5 stars Just annoying
I read A Gathering Light and enjoyed it, so looked out for other books by Jennifer Donnelly. As such, I was really looking forward to reading The Tea Rose. I am sorry to go against all the high star ratings, but from the first "Cockerney" dropped H to the over the top blousy description, I just found this book grated. I did stick with it for a while, but just couldn't...
Published on 22 April 2012 by Manda Moo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tea Rose- what a fab book!, 3 Aug 2006
L. Cowburn - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)

Moving from London's Whitechapel East End all the way to New York's Chelsea it is a great adventure every page you turn. The charactors are so vivid and you can really relate to them so closely, esp the lovely Fiona, and Joe too. I fell in love with these charactors and many more the minute they were introduced to us and things just got better the more and more I read.

This was a book I could not put down, because I was so caught up in the twists and turns of the plot- What would happen next?? This is one I would definately recommend to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 7 Nov 2006
Wow, wow, wow!

A friend of mine had been raving about the book for a while but since I don't live in an English speaking country it was hard finding a copy. Finally she was so desperate for me to read the book she ordered a copy on Amazon and sent it out to me - I can't thank her enough. What a beautiful read, at times I cried and at times I couldn't stop smiling. The characters were real and the storyline gripping. I am waiting to begin reading the Winter Rose with bated breath!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Definitely A Raritea!, 29 April 2006
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
Jennifer Donnelly's 'THE TEA ROSE' is the first novel of it's kind that I have ever read and I enjoyed it immensely. This novel spans over a decade in the life of Fiona Finnegan a once rough and tumble young girl from the wrong side of London, who after a series of tragedies moves to New York City and becomes one of the richest women in America. I say that this book is a rarity because I have not read many books of this length that were not drawn out and overly descriptive, 'THE TEA ROSE' moved at a fast pace and kept my attention throughout. Also, this novel was almost like two books in one, it started out as a romantic historical fiction and ended almost as a thriller would with tons of action and high suspense. The ending, I must admit, was a tad bit over the top and you have to suspend disbelief a bit, but that does not take away from the splendid characters that Donnelly has created, all of whom the reader grows to care about and will root for until the very end. 'THE TEA ROSE' has a well thought out plot line and fully developed characters, I cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Read It, 23 May 2006
choco2love (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
Oh yes,what a book this is!! I bought it because I loved Jennifer Donnelly's other novel,"A Gathering Light",and I wasn't disappointed. Once you're in a book by a story-teller like J.Donnelly,you don't want the novel to stop.

The tragedies that falls upon our strong-minded & spirited heroine,Fiona Finnegan,are unthinkable,and left me shattered,shoked and teary-eyed.....but not for long. Because Fiona won't slow down or forget her dreams because of what happened;she leaves behind the shabby streets of Whitechapel and moves to NY where she's confident she'll make her dreams come true,and she will,with the help of her faithful friends. But soon her past will catch up with her....and she'll have to deal with it,for once and for all.

I couldn't put this book down;you read it as fast as you can,and when you finish it,you're craving for more. But,thanks to reviewer M.Lugg "bookworm",we now know there's a sequel,"The Winter Rose",coming out in November (which is not soon enough)!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate, 13 Sep 2004
Arwen Evenstar (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
Jennifer Donnelly is a truly gifted and compassionate writer. Fiona Finnegans Story touched my heart and I even cried with her, when her father died. I couldn't put this book down and I can highly recommend it. A wonderful story and beautifully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my God what a book!, 6 April 2006
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
This book blew me away. I have not previously read any of Jennifer Donnellys' books and just happened to stumble across a mention of this book on someone's listmania and have not been disappointed.
The Tea Rose is a story of rags to riches but with such real characters, a heroine that you actually like and with some brilliant twists and turns along the way. This books had me laughing and crying in places and only took me three days to finish it's 782 pages. Read this book you won't be disappointed READ THIS BOOK. Can't wait for the sequel, The Winter Rose, in November.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Perfection, 23 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
I picked this book up before i went on holiday, as im prone to taking short books that i finish within a day. From the first page, i found this book unputdownable. The characters are well fitted to the story, and the plot is never predictable. The background of this book is very imaginative as well; the cultures are so different, and Donnelly manages to pinpoint this factor so well. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys mysterious reads that don't become too predictable. I've read both of Donnelly's novels released in 2004, and have been thrilled by the quality of her writing. Read this...you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning portrayal of Victorian life, 7 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
I had read "The Winter Rose" first, not realising it was the second in a trilogy. As soon as I had finished that, I had to find out how it all started and I wasn't disappointed.

Both "The Tea Rose" and "The Winter Rose" stand alone beautifully and are so beautifully written that even reading them out of order didn't matter. In fact I think knowing certain plotlines in the second book made reading this one all the more exquisitely excruciating, wondering how on earth it was all going to get sorted out!

Again I was stunned by the descriptions of Victorian England; I enjoyed the Ripper theory and found the stark accounts of the Finnegans' daily life sobering without being depressed by it. Fiona's new life in a young New York and her brush with the opulence of NY Society was a sunny contrast, and as delicious as Jennifer Donnelly's obvious love for (and fragrant descriptions of) a subject close to my own heart - tea!

The Tea Rose introduces yet more amazing characters, from the loveable Nick to the scheming Millie. The plot is by turns fascinating, frustrating, and heart stopping. Gripping and extremely satisfying, this glorious novel will have you cheering for Fiona by the end. Read and enjoy!

Roll on May - I can't wait for the final instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea roses are always a lovely and unexpected delight-just like this book, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
picked this book up because a positive review compared it to the Thorn birds. I read forty pages the first night I had it, and finished the book (all seven hundred some pages of it) the next day. I literally couldn't put it down.

The story of Fiona and her love Joe two poor kids from Whitechapel who've been in love their whole lives only to lose each other when Joe begins to make a success of himself and Fiona's parents die tragicaly, is compelling, but what's so great about this novel is the amount of historical detail that makes it some realistic. It's obvious that a great deal of research went into this book, and the work paid of for Ms. Donnelly, because this book is so vivid its like your there in Whitechapel with Fiona and Joe, and then in old glamorous New York where great steam ships roll in in and a fortune is there for anyone with the smarts to work for it.

Buy this book, make some tea, and sit down with two enterprising young lovers, one scheming evil villain and a story of the true resilience of the human spirit. I've only know about this book for year and hald and I've allready read it three times. its one of those books I'll read every year.

Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fantastic, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Tea Rose (Paperback)
This book had me hooked from the first page to the last. Jennifer Donnelly is a fantastic writer who manages to perfect the combination of a believable and captivating story with historical fact regarding London at the time of Jack the Ripper. If you're after a brilliant book to lose yourself in during the cold winter months I strongly urge you to buy this! I also strongly recommend Jennifer Donnelly's other works especially 'A gathering light' which was the first book of hers I read and was what encouraged me to read this one.

The Tea Rose
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (Paperback - 2 May 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01