Format: Paperback|Change

This book is the most comprehensive text I have come across , both from the number of species discussed and the wonderful illustrations . The Author is quite definitive in his treatise on each tree and as covered a wide range of variants .
I find it useful for my work as an Engineer , where I have possible issues with trees near buildings . This book will allow me to determine fairly accurately which tree I may be dealing with .
Otherwise the book is highly interesting reading .
It is indeed encyclopaedic in content and is a worthy companion of anybodies bookshelf .
on 26 April 2013
This is the perfect companion to any one interested in trees, or who, like me work in the forestry/ arboricultural industry. Great photos, explanations and advice for both winter and summer recognition.
on 6 April 2012
As a US botanist, I recommend this for anyone wishing to identify and get more than the usual information about trees. I wish our field guides were as good! Short of out of print and multi-volume works, I've not seen better.
on 13 January 2010
having bought cheaper field guides in the past, which just didnt work for me, i decided to get myself this one, as i have seen other books in the series, and have been very impressed (especially the birds of britain and europe). I wasn't disappointed, as this guide covers a huge range of native british trees, as well as non-natives and hybrids. has an excellent section on winter tree id, which has been very helpful, and also covers indispensable characteristics of trees such as bark texture, leaf structure, fruits and flowers.

can't really ask for much more from a field guide to be honest
on 9 February 2010
This is a very comprehensive and erudite work more of the text book variety than "common or garden" field guide; but if you, like me, really want to identify trees then this excellent book is for you.It goes way beyond most "tree spotters guides" and also includes hybrids and popular imports which are notoriously very hard to ID. The illustrations are beautiful and accurate and the introduction scientific and informative. Well worth the money. In fact if they do a larger size in this book, spend a bit more and buy it You will not regret it!
on 30 December 2011
As someone who works in aboriulture, I must say that this book is a godsend. It identifies with good graphics every tree in Britain and Europe, their leaves and bark. It goes with me everywhere.
on 8 November 2014
I use this book in UK, Europe and Asia and its great. Discovered a tree I was puzzling over is a Siberian Elm. Really like this book. Not many good tree books and happy to chosen this.
on 15 May 2016
In my opinion the best tree guide out there, helps with identification by bark and twigs as well as by leaves, lovely detailed illustrations showing all parts of the tree, a classic.
on 11 July 2015
I bought this book to identify two trees. It worked very well.
They were: Swedish Whitebeam and the Common Alder.
There are more trees than this inside though. Lots more.
on 4 May 2012
A very good guide for the indentification of trees. With good drawings, about the leaves, flowers, fruit. Just a bit heavy to carry with you on the spot.But an excellent guide.