5.0 out of 5 stars The Rik Mayall remembered
I met Rik Mayall back in 1999 when he was working in the Ealing Studios on what would become Guesthouse Paradiso.
There are many famous people I’ve passed and usually my default reaction is to do a double-take so they know I’ve recognised them and then let them go about their business.
Rik Mayall however was very different and for the first time in...
Published 5 months ago by GSimons

3.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography?
Although indeed comedy genious, don't buy this book if you want to read about Riks life cause it aint happening! One of the most unusually written books I've ever read, I just wanted an insight into the real Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, More Bad News etc and not a parody of his characters. Having said that I enjoyed it thorougly for what it is.
Published on 13 Jan 2006 by Mr. A. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rik Mayall remembered, 10 Jun 2014
Rik Mayall however was very different and for the first time in my life I summoned the courage to go and ask for an autograph.
The Rik Mayall you meet in this book was the Rik Mayall you met in real life. He was a curious combination of perfectly personable with manic tendencies lurking behind his eyes.
This book darts all over the place and it’s mainly played for laughs. You learn little of Rik Mayall the man and all about Rik Mayall the personality as he jokes with the reader in a way I’ve never come across.
Following his sad passing some of you will think about buying this book in order to learn about Rik’s rich career in comedy and if that’s your angle you’re destined for disappointment.
However there is some truth in this book and you have to look really closely to find it but you do get a glimmer of the man behind the laughs in certain passages particularly where he speaks about the accident he suffered in the 1990s.
The rest of the book is unashamedly the Rik Mayall we have all come to love. Comedians come and go and many of them are called unique but this man, who was prepared to put on tights while armed with a cattle prod in a devil suit, read Roald Dahl’s George’s Marvellous Medicine for the BBC’s Jackanory in a way only he could or adlib as Lord Flash Heart, is a comedy treasure who will long be remembered.
If you want to get a glimmer of the genius – buy this book and find out why millions loved The Rik Mayall.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Mayall, 14 Dec 2005
This book is absolutely hilarious! I couldn't read a single page without at laughing out loud. It is so "Rik" that I could imagine him sitting there with all of his quirky facial expressions writing each word. I have enjoyed Mayall's humor since the first time I saw him as "Prik with a silent P" in Young Ones. I live in the States and am sorry to say that not everyone understands his biting wit, but the educated ones who do would also agree that "Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ" is well worth the money spent. It's Rik's life the way he tells it. 'Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not strictly an auto-biography..., 10 April 2013
I loved this book.

One thing to bear in mind before you read it though - this is more a fictional book than an autobiography. It is written in character and is not heavily edited but what did people really expect? Half of the joy of this book is that it is a typical Rik speech, un-polished and un-censored.

If you're looking for a highly detailed behind-the-scenes type book, then go and read some of Stephen Fry's auto-biographies. If you're after a laugh and are a fan of Rik Mayall then go ahead and buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography?, 13 Jan 2006
Mr. A. Smith "The Smithmeister" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm., 30 Jan 2007
Nicolette Laurence "Lunarwillow" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ (Paperback)
I love Rik and I love The Young Ones, Bottom, even Filthy, Rich and Catflap. I was kind of hoping that this was a funny autobiography. I am not really sure what it is. Obviously the letters are fake, but it is impossible to tell how much of what he actually writes is true. The footnotes are amusing, the spelling mistakes a bit tiresome but make me smile. I like it and it IS funny but it is really hard to read because of the style he writes in. The 'going-off-on-a-tangent' thing wears thin after a while.

I would really like it if Rik wrote his autobiography honestly and it would naturally be funny because that is Rik! I would like to read about his life, the people he worked with, etc etc. So to be honest I feel a bit dazed. If you're a Rik fan, you will enjoy it but you might find it hard going and a little disappointing.

Anyway Rik if you're reading these reviews - I still love you and think you're grate :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rik does to the autobiography what he did to the sitcom, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ (Paperback)
This hilarious parody of all those frightful luvvie showbiz memoirs is also a virtuoso display by Rik of how to prevent someone else from writing his biography by hiding just enough facts in layers of comically exaggerated fiction to ensure that any other biographer’s efforts would be as redundant and dull as a real documentary about student life would have been in the wake of "The Young Ones".
It’s better to read it in short bursts than all in one go as it can be a bit long-winded in places, but this minor flaw is far outweighed by the fact that no other book will make you laugh out loud so often. I can’t see how any fan wouldn’t love it or would feel short-changed. The world is full of conventional autobiographies (Stephen Fry, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders etc), all more factually accurate than this – and not one of them as remotely as enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Read, 29 Sep 2006
This review is from: Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ (Paperback)
Well this is certainly no follow the formula biography - it is as zany and `out there' as the man himself. I really enjoyed the book being a big Mayall fan but can understand that it could drive others mad trying to stick with it. Best read in bite size chunks and you will be laughing out loud.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but could have been great!!, 24 Jan 2007
A. Hill "Jugarama" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
WARNING!! If you are expecting this book to be a 'behind the curtains/flaps/quad hog crash induced coma' insight into the life, so far, of Rik Mayall then I advise you to steer clear.

What Rik has presented to the world is a sugar coated overview of his career to date which, although hysterically funny in parts, doesn't really reveal alot about the comedy legend. To be fair to 'The Rik Mayall', the book was never presented as a biography - the title itself gives any possible reader a clue as to what to expect.

What you should expect is a book that is bristling with hysterical storytelling and also, unfortunately, alot (I'm talking about whole chapters)of mind-numbing waffle that really should have been edited. The final chapter is dull but others glisten with a sprinkling of classic side-splitting Rik Mayall (His chapter on the carnage at the Ambassadors Theatre in Woking immediately springs to mind).

If you are a genuine Rik Mayall fan I would definitely recommend this book but dont expect an easy time of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weaker than I'd hoped:, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ (Paperback)
While there are a few flashes of chuckle-worthy humour in this over-long book by the late, great Rik Mayall, even his most ardent fans would agree that it does not portray his talents in the best possible light. There are a handful of sections which made me smile, thinking of Rik Mayall or one of his characters actually saying them exactly as they were written. There are even a few parts that are startlingly moving. However, this book is overwhelmingly dominated by a near school-boy level of humour; weak double-entendres, a puerile approach to sexuality and maleness, and unbelievably hollow word-play. There is also so much empty fantasy in this work that I came away not knowing much more about Rik Mayall than I did before.

I would have liked to have heard more about his life and relationships, his influences, his hopes, and would have enjoyed something with substantially more depth. He was capable of delivering all of these, but was regrettably not capable of sustaining it.

Although I am sorry that Rik Mayall went to his reward so early, I speak as a fan when I say that I won't be keeping this book, or reading it again, or recommending it to anyone. The man who brought us Alan B'Stard and Flashheart should be remembered for so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is he full of himself or what?, 7 Dec 2008
Steen Lykke Laursen "Fortes Fortuna Juvat" (Oksboel, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Absolutely not! We're talking The Rik "no BS" Mayall. He proves his points thoroughly and perfectly, and you are left in no doubt that The Rik Mayall is in fact both bigger than Hitler and better than Christ. And I would say it is fruitless to try and prove him wrong.
If you're not familiar with television smash hits like "The Young Ones" and "Bottom" you won't ... never mind this warning, that kind of people doesn't exist.
This is an honest to Rik Mayall, unlimited, beyond imagination, selfless, hit-him-in-the-stomach revelation of the life of a mega-celebrity. And it comes with a surprising insight to the worlds cultural, political and royal elite and several top birds as well.
Misspellings are surely intentional in order to emphasize accent and actual, emotional pronunciation. If not, then don't blame the publisher for trying to keep up with a communication virtuoso.
This is truly a great book - sorry The Great Book. The Rik Mayall can't hide - therefore he doesn't try at all - the fact that he is the icon of light entertainment in our day and age. Even when deadly serious he'll make you laugh. But I have to warn you - don't embark on this rollercoaster ride of modern literature if you're underage, pregnant, suffering a heart condition, easily nauseated and/or offended. I present to you: The Rik "no holds barred" Mayall!

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ
Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ by Rik Mayall (Paperback - 3 April 2006)