Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 July 2002
Currently mastering the physical side of golf and practising hard in the driving range has enabled me to hit some of the best golf shots of my life, then I take this practise onto the course and probably like the vast majority of golfers I turn into a golfing amoeba, letting my head take over and just ruin everything.
Zen Golf takes the principles of Buddhism and manages to create a mind easing approach to golf, many of the subjects and stories relating to how our brains get in the way you will find you already know but just needed some assistance on how to put them into practice.
The book is not a recruiting drive for the buddhist faith but an extremely pleasant and uplifting journey through the morass of hurdles that all golfers come across when on the golf course and some beautifully described explanations on how to turn negative thoughts into positive thoughts.
I recommend this book to every golfer out there who wants to improve their golf and more importantly their enjoyment of golf at any level.
on 21 May 2009
This is definitely not for the technique junkies. Nothing here about keeping the left arm straight while you pronate your big toe, or whatever.

What you get is a gentle guide to cultivating the Zen art of awareness - becoming aware of what possibilities exist within you and your mind already, rather than seeking an external fix.

I bought this book because I suffer from acute anxiety, which manifests in all sorts of unwanted bodily symptoms and explosions of white-hot anger, such as when I miss a simple putt for birdie and end up with bogey. Never forget that anger ALWAYS sits on top of some sort of suffering from the past, and missing putts is suffering. This book is helping me to see things on the golf course differently, and I'm using lots of the exercises to train my mind in a different way from the usual self-loathing that accompanies a poor shot. I'd love to say that my handicap is tumbling - it isn't, but that's not why I bought the book.

If you liked 'The Legend of Bagger Vance' you'll like this. If you prefer 'Twenty Zillion Tips To Hit The Ball Half a Mile' then avoid.

Happy swinging. No,not that sort, you naughty boy.
on 30 June 2005
I took up golf 3 years ago and now that I have mastered the basics I found that the mental side of the game was letting me down. Having read this book I now understand why and recognise the symptons. The book contains some very practical advice that is simple but effective. My opinion and outlook on my game has changed for the better and the consistency is improving.
on 7 July 2008
This is a book that is easy to read, that provides some useful insights into how the mind works and how it can get in the way of a good golf game. Golf is a great game often spoiled by our own tension, impatience and destructive thoughts. This book has some simple and effective tips and tools to help focus and to erradicate bad habits. It's even worth buying as a gift for any golfing freinds who have hissy fits and throw their clubs around as a subtle way of letting them know that their behaviour should be improved!
on 10 March 2009
A must read for the golfer who loves the game for more than the mechanics involved. Golf is, they say, 80% ish in the mind. Read this baby to find out where you can go with your mind. If one can achieve what is written in this book then not only will your golf benefit greatly but your whole existence will too!! Buy it, read it, re-read it, keep it for life.

Bazmataz
on 28 December 2012
What a superb book. At last a simple way to approach your golf (and life) that leaves you feeling so effortlessly calm and gives you great results. I have been playing for almost 4 years and although I have progressed very quickly I have often felt very dissatisfied with myself and the score. Having read a number of books on the mental side of golf this takes my vote as number 1! The PAR approach is simple to apply and I enjoyed the teachings too. Played in dire weather a couple of days ago and yet hit some of the best shots ever helped by using the books teachings. Thank you Dr Parent for sharing your wisdom with us!
on 11 November 2013
I'm an avid reader of sports psychology books - especially for golf. I'm convinced they have been instrumental in my rapidly reduced handicap (26 to 18 in the season), and I didn't think there was better than Bob Rotella. However, Zen Golf exceeded all expectations. I'm no 'mystic', and although Buddhism is interesting, I wouldn't be buying books on it. This could change my mind - literally! I actually feel different on the course after applying some of the simple (and not 'new age') exercises. It's the first such book that I've immediately started again once finished - it's that good. My copy is full of post-it note markers for the many things to which I will want to keep refering. Do yourself a favour. Don't tell anyone, but just try it out. You won't be disappointed. It's well written by a golf coach, but with some fascinating insights into the realities of a golfers thoughts (and how to control them). Understanding the emotions and mental activity associated with our great game is the first step; I find that's almost enough - the mind then dumbs down the bad stuff and accentuates the good. Could it be magic? No, it's good sense. Read it!
on 3 August 2010
This book is concise and to the point. It doesn't just tell you to keep in the right frame of mind, it actually goes further and teaches you HOW to keep in the right frame of mind.

Highly recommend this book.
on 20 July 2012
Absolutely loved this book and the way it made me think about my game was totally refreshing and inspiring

No more club throwing! Promise
on 4 May 2014
If we allow our emotions to interfere with our performance consistency is impossible. This book explains how to distance your feelings from the outcome of a shot - be it good or bad, thus leading to a measured and thoughtful process preceding each and every shot. Well worth reading.