5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable - a classic
What more is there to say about Angela's Ashes?

When I bought the book I thought I must be just about the only person in the world not to have read it - and that's probably true. I had no idea what it was about or what to expect - I suppose I thought it was about some girl called Angela!

What I found instead was a truly moving, originally crafted and...
Published on 27 July 2006 by G. Melling

3.0 out of 5 stars good to read when ill
I read Angela's Ashes whilst I was in bed with 'flu. It certainly held my attention and distracted me from my symptoms. I forgot that I was feverish, instead I was in a cold damp place and very hungry! After the first awful sadnesses, I found it was amusing and amazing that the author had survived all this and still be alive and writing at the end of it all.
Published on 2 Mar 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking 'unputdownable', 4 Jan 2007
A quite breathtaking read, I couldn't put it down. Its hard to believe the harsh reality of life and poverty that gripped Ireland not that long ago. I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't fiction but a true account of McCourts early life. Well written with humour and surprisingly no bitterness. A must read for anyone who thinks their lot in life isn't so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read after recommendation, 15 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I read this book after it was recommended to me by a teacher at a school where I was doing my teaching practice for three months. At first I just put it in my bookcase (as I usually do with all the books I buy) and then my sister read it before I did. When she finished it she told me she was disappointed with the novel, so just to satisfy my curiousity I decided to pick it up and read it. I have never read something so moving and realistic in my life. I thought it was a great novel to read and I actually could feel the grim atmosphere of the Ireland where Frank McCourt lived as a child. There were times when I could (figuratively) hear the Irish people speak. That is how realistic the book came across to me. I cannot wait until I get my hands on the sequel. I hope I enjoy it as much as I did "Angela's Ashes".

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully narated by the author, 6 Nov 1997
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
After reading the hard cover edition I listened to the unabriged tape version and it was wonderful. Frank McCourt is an award winning writer and an extraordinary story teller in the best of the oral tradition. His characterizations, dialects, and songs bring the book to life. It is one of the most fulfilling literary experiences I have ever had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic yet compelling, 21 May 2001
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
I wanted to read this book so bought it and read it just a couple of days. I laughed at times, at McCourt's wry humour, but for the most part I cried torrents. To me abook which can do that to you is a masterpice, to take you on an emotionmal rollercoaster. I was given the sequel, 'Tis for my 21st and can't wait to embark upon his life in America. However, when reading, I limited what I visualised or I couldn't have finished it. I tried watching the film and had to switch off after 30 minutes, I just couldn't handle the emotion. The book conjures up a wonderful portrayal of the miserable Catholic Irish Childhood through the eyes and words of the child who lived through it all - something of a miracle to be honest. Yet MCCourt does not become nihilistic or bitter at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 19 April 2001
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
Frank McCourt is a master story teller. I laughed cried then laughed again with Frankie while he told of his tormented life in The lanes of Limerick. I could almost smell the must and damp when they had to move upstairs to Italy. Sometimes I could have killed Angela for being such a fool in believing that him from the North with the "odd Presbytyrian ways" would ever change but this added to the charm and whit of the story. I travelled the lanes of Ireland with Frankie I endured his pain and pleasure in a perpetual state of grace laughing outloud at times at his marvelous way of making light out of something terrible. After finishing the book I felt as if I'd lost an old friend. I couldn't wait for tales of Frankies new life in America

5.0 out of 5 stars On my top list of books, 10 Sep 2009
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
This book will stay with you long after you've read the last line. An incredible true story of growing up in Ireland in absolute poverty.
Funny, sad, remarkable, inspirational.
I could not put this book down, I wanted to read more and more well into the night. I was fascinated to see how his story would end. With so many interesting storys to tell I think you could dip into this book again and again.
After reading the book I rented the DVD and the young guy actually said dont bother renting this. He had watched the DVD and said it was one and half hours of his life wasted, a bit dramatic. I took no notice and rented it anyway and loved the DVD, anything with Robert Carlisle cant be bad.
Book or DVD this is great and is on my top list of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter and Tears, 20 July 2006
C. Calisgil "Leyla" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
'One miserable Irish Catholic childhood', says the synopsis. Hardly the recipe for an entertaining read, you may think! Please don't let this put you off buying this wonderful book; don't forget - Frank McCourt is an Irishman and 'tis the way he tells it that makes his story so very readable. The family's poverty and living conditions were unbelievably dreadful, but Frank tells his story with such wit and humour that I found myself laughing aloud, and his descriptions of the people he knew made you feel that you'd met them too. The fact that he lived through it all and yet developed the talent to tell his story is, in itself, something of a miracle and a wonderful testimony to the human spirit. So pleased I didn't miss this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... an amazing man and an amazing book- READ IT!, 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt- what can I say except READ IT? Until the very moment I laid my eyes on page one of Angela's Ashes, Borstal Boy and Confessions of an Irish Rebel by Brendan Behan was the best autobiography I'd ever read... do yourself a BIG favour and read it... I am waiting anxiously for his next book- this guy who was born in New York, grew up in poverty-stricken Limerick and returned to NY when he was 19, somehow managed to become a school teacher and worked until his retirement, wrote his first book at the age of 60 and won the Pulitzer prize... I still don't understand how he even SURVIVED in the first place... he made me laugh and he made me cry- an amazing man and an amazing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sense of humour in the most wretched circumstances, 11 Dec 2000
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
Despite the desperate poverty what is amazing is that the book still makes you laugh out loud (It's been a minute since my last confession - I loved that!). Frank's father makes you despair but you can see why Frank loves him. The characterisation of his family is brilliant especially as it is all seen through the eyes of a child. The style I think captures the way a child would think and speak so you relive his childhood rather than being talked through it through the eyes of an adult. I have seen some comments on here about the book being disapointing - imagine how "disappointing" a childhood like Frank McCourt's was - read the book and you will see how trivial that opinion is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 April 2005
Having watched and enjoyed the movie the next step was to read the book and I was not disappointed. It was great, a thoroughly enjoyable read. I could not put it down. Very sad, very funny and very entertaining. Top marks Mr McCourt.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

Angela's Ashes
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Paperback - 3 Oct 2005)