5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting
J.R.R. Tolkien was best known for his epic fantasy "Lord of the Rings" and his studies in myth and language. But Tolkien was also the proud dad of four kids -- and he didn't just read "Hobbit" to them at bedtime. Over the course of many years, he wrote and illustrated detailed, whimsical letters from Father Christmas, populated with a clumsy polar bear, elves and...
Published on 28 Feb. 2006 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but buy a bigger version
My Dad read me this book as a child, so I bought it to read to the children in my class. Same magical stories, but isn't the same in a small paperback. Buy in a big hardback. The pictures just aren't the same this small.
Published on 16 Jan. 2013 by D Castano

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The children were enchanted!, 9 July 2013
This was bought to read to my younger children (4 and 6) each bedtime in the build up to Christmas last year and they were completely enchanted by it. A joy to read aloud and share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Holiday Fare -- Good for Small Children, May 15, 2000, 8 Jan. 2012
[NOTE: I am reissuing my Amazon.com reviews on Amazon.co.uk. This review was originally published on Amazon.com May 15, 2000]

Entertaining letters written by Tolkien for his children. Out of these type of activities grew his masterpiece - THE LORD OF THE RINGS. He wrote these stories for his children, whilst involved with the more serious work of his mythology. But the culmination of his children's fiction - THE HOBBIT, was so successful that it was published and Unwin wanted a sequel.

That said, these letters are good, and on the same quality as ROVERANDOM and FARMER GILES. Both of those are abundant in word play. These are fascinating, and good holiday stories. The chief complaint I have with these are they were not all published. As I understand it, some of the letters that are published are lacking the entire letter. However, the selection of 1925 to 1939, although for some reason it seems I read it continued on to 1945. That might be in error. The letter in 1920, only a note, is included in facsimile, but for some reason the letters of 1921 to 1924 are missing. A severe misfortune. However, if you are looking for light holiday fare (all of his children's fiction is light fare, with the possible exception of THE HOBBIT), this is the place for it. Afterward, read ROVERANDOM and FARMER GILES OF HAM. Narnia is better than both, of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Though not exactly what I was looking for., 29 Dec. 2001
Reading the reviews for this book didn't give me the information I was looking for - so I bought it a) in the hope it was what I was looking for, and b) because the one that was what I was looking for would take much longer to get here, and I wanted it by Christmas! It is a beautiful book, with letters to ALL of Tolkien's children - even Pricilla (letters that, from what I can gather from the introduction, are previously unpublished). The illustrations in it are brilliant, and the letters within it are completely legible (with typed translation, just in case - and for the ones without a copy of the original). So - what was so "not what I was looking for" I hear you ask? Well - I was hoping to find a copy with PULL OUT letters - that you could take out of the envelopes to read. Ah well - looks like I'll have to order the one that specifies it is...and wait for it to arrive. Not a major problem, but I might wait until next year so it has more relevance.
PS - In case I didn't mention it - I RECCOMEND THIS BOOK WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!!! (The only reason I only gave it 4 stars was because of the letters not being removable).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Christmas, 20 Nov. 2010
Ms. S. Anderson (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my little boy who is six he loves it ....He listens to it at bed time and now does beleive that santa has a polar bear who helps him at Christmas "WHICH OF COURSE HE DOES" a lovely cd with alittle Christmas magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas magic, 20 Feb. 2010
This was greatly enjoyed!! A magical book to treasure in the family. Got my boys writing to Santa and waiting to receive their letters....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Feb. 2014
Tolkien is my favourite writer and this book is a wonderful collection to my bookcase. They are such delightfully innocent and fantastical stories about the adventures of Father Christmas at the North Pole and the pesky goblin and comical polar bear. I can't wait to read it to my kids and maybe even do something similar with a written letter every year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure entertainment., 29 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
Derek Jacobi truely comes into his own when narrating this complilation of letters with Tolkien created for his children. The effect is magical, and should appeal to children and adults alike. It has no pretensions to be anything other than it is - sheer good fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars a blast from the past, 22 Aug. 2013
How lovely, a wonderful idea to treat your children. A book I will read time and time again. Well done Tolkein.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful little book, ideal cosy Christmas reading, 1 April 2014
Although I'm a huge fan of ebooks, this was one time where I knew that only the hardback version would do and I was not disappointed. It's beautifully printed allowing the 1930's bright colour schemes of the pictures to stand out. I loved the few illustrations of JRRT that I'd seen before (Hobbit etc) and the pictures in here are delightful. What we see here is a powerful imagination conjuring up an innocent but exciting world of Father Christmas with just enough violence and slapstick to take any saccharine edges off the magic. Do make sure that you read all the facsimile letters, as the transcription misses off a few little points which occasionally add something.
And yes to make it clear - here are the facsimile letters with a more readable transcription.

4.0 out of 5 stars What A Wonderful Idea!, 24 Mar. 2015
How I wish my parents had done this for me! Tolkien creates a whole magical world for his children growing up, funny and amusing tales each Christmas in letters from Father Christmas and his North Pole friends. Loved the tales and the little bits of sarcasm from the NP Bear, complete with wonderful little pictures that he drew to go with the letters. A great reminder of those special Santa believing years and a tinge of sadness as you see each of Tolkien's children slowly being excluded from the letters as they reach that age where the magic goes. The last few letters are during World War II, and the mention of the war in these letters felt all the more reflective. A lighthearted funny read, for anyone who still deep down inside believes!

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Letters from Father Christmas
Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 2 Oct. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01