4.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first
I was a bit annoyed at Ingo for ending so abruptly with a teaser that pretty much said 'find out what happens in the sequel next year'. I mean I felt like complaining to some authority about it. The Tide Knot makes up for it by being even better than Ingo.

Published on 24 May 2007 by Inspector Gadget

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as a Birthday Present
Bought this for my sister as birthday present and i haven't heard any complaints, but it must be a good as she has asked me to order other titles from this author.
Published 17 months ago by Foster Major

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first, 24 May 2007
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The story picks up in a cold and bleak November where Saphire and Conor have moved to the town next to Senara and left their cottage to renters. Conor is more interested in surfing but Saphire cannot let go of the pull of Ingo. Her mother still has no clue but potential stepdad Roger is becoming more and more suspicious. Saphire still believes her dad didn't really drown and is still looking for answers. Again she involves herself in the affairs of the Mer to solve the mystery.

As before, The Tide Knot is written in that same dreamy, euphoric style that makes every trip into the ocean seem like and enigmatic heroin rush. Whenever Saphire is not in Ingo we cannot wait until she just dashes for the shore and whenever she is far out in some current we don't want her to head back to land. It's weird and yet pleasing how she exists in two different worlds and is somehow wise beyond her years (I like children's books that don't insult their intelligence) without seeming cocky.

With the third novel in the series (The Deep) already out, this is looking like a series I am seriously enjoying that sort of popped out of nowhere. I recommend any teenager (or adult, such as myself) to pick up these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars As entrancing as the sea itself..., 30 Aug 2006
A. P. Harris (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Helen Dunmore has crafted a beautiful world in which the more familiar world of the land people and the unknown and dangerous realm of the sea live side by side in uneasy balance. The magic is thrilling, the tension is vivid and the main character's struggle with her temptation by the seductive underwater world is all too believable.

I loved this title and it's predecessor Ingo. Suitable for children AND adults who love a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars So real you can smell the sea..., 14 July 2008
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
A beautifully written and worthy sequel to Ingo. Both my children (ages 14 and 10) enjoyed this and I read 'Ingo' and 'The Tide Knot' on their recommendation. I now see what the seduction is. It's heartening to see such good, stimulating writing for children out there. I can't remember reading anywhere such sensual descriptions of the sea, or the sea shore in a children's book. You can almost smell the Cornish coast in this writing. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars tide knot better than ingo?, 14 Mar 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
i am 10 and a freind lended me ingo and once i had finished it i beegged for the next book tide knot. tide knot is definetly better than ingo, sapphire and connor set out to find there dad when they end saving the world from being drowned by ingo!
you must read this book as it tells you things MUST know and gives you a brilliant experince in bed, under the sea!!!

helen dunmore is a fantastic author.

5.0 out of 5 stars the tide knot., 18 July 2006
A. Phillips (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
As amazing as the first book, Helen Dunmore has fluently written a masterpeice, which grips you into every detail of Ingo and Sapphy's life. Every page brings new adventure as you ride the waves and swim the currents.

An amazing read, and it is based around where i live so i can get the benefit of knowing where places and things are.

I recommend this to anyone who wants to read a light and enjoyable book that takes you into another world , and lets you follow the mystery of the deep.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic sequel, 3 July 2007
Jane (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
This is a brilliant sequel to 'Ingo'. Again there is the amazing mixture of fantasy with a real-life modern story. It can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. The descriptions of the flood and the gradual unfolding of the fate of the children's father is fascinating and the book is a real page-turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first review, 7 Jan 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
The tide knot is such an amazing book!!
I am only 8 but I enjoyed it so much that I finished it in only 4 days and every morning my mother would come to say good morning and she always found me reading!
I think that children that enjoy a good read could even read it at 7.
It is a good bedtime book but I always read in the morning. It's less famous than it ought to be. When I went to london (I live in Florence but I wish I lived in Cornwall) I went to Waterstone's and found it in the teen section but I had always looked in the 9-12 section and never found it. I recommend it for adults and children. I say "it takes you with it" which means that you don't know how far into the book you are and how much time has past. I can't wait to have "The Deep" and 'The Crossing of Ingo', I'm sure they will be as amazing as 'Ingo' and 'The Tide Knot.
It's great, engaging and exciting

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mixture of fantasy and real life, 20 Nov 2009
Julie Fisher - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
Dunmore has created a wonderful world in the Ingo series. On my last visit to the coast I could almost believe Ingo was actually there. These books are great for adults and children alike. My local Waterstones has them in the teenage section, but my nine year old daughter has read them all and loves them. I suggest that they are great for children who have a reading age above their actual age, but are not yet ready for stories with more mature content. The writing is beautiful and lyrical. A joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars the tide knot is a must read!!, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
I am a 14 year old girl (writting from my dad's account ) who first began by reading the first novel INGO, also read my INGO review ... I was so gripped by it's storyline in INGO which was exciting and thrilling that i had to read to next one in the series THE TIDE KNOT!!!!!! The tide knot follows on from the beautifully built world that was created in INGO - as you know the story's basics is about a 13 / 14 year girl who one day discovers the fantasy magical world under the sea of cornwall... However most people when they read the blerb think that this book is all going to be about mermaids, fun and games - boy oh boy are they wrong.
The whole series has a deeper meaning than that and depending on the age group is perseaved in many different ways. Like in the beginning of ingo sapphire's and conor's father goes missing one night when the sea is wild and angry and that is what carries on the novels on - and in the next novel the tide knot " dark secrets really are unleashed! " - that is what it quotes on the cover!
But please do give the first few chapters a chance because whats happening in that moment is important towards the end! I made that mistake by getting bored, however the tide knot is amazingly written with extra's at the back of the book... I give it 5 stars ***** and much deserved praise to it's author HELEN DUNMORE who has got me wanting to read for hours on end! As of this moment i haven't read THE DEEP however i have ordered it from amazon - and when i have completed that novel i will continue through onto THE CROSSING OF INGO!
1st novel - INGO
2nd novel - THE TIDE KNOT
3rd novel - THE DEEP
4th and final novel - THE CROSSING OH INGO

Overall high praise to HELEN DUNMORE and well recommended to everyone with a warming heart who loves the call and mystery of the sea. Thank you to all other reviews from amazon because otherwise i wouldn't have enjoyed the other novel's! READ THEM AND YOU WILl UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ALL MEAN !!! :) so happy with my purchase!!!! :) thank you amazon UK...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 8 July 2008
K. Wensley - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tide Knot (Paperback)
Right, I'm 16 years old now and i adore this book, and i loved the last one too - but i could imagine loving this book at any age. The writing is descriptive but quite simple, and utterly captivating. The story's awesome as well, you couldn't really ask for more in a book like this! And the cover's really prettyyyy @.@
Guys, if you're wondering whether or not to get this book (or the first!) then just go for it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Tide Knot
The Tide Knot by Helen Dunmore (Paperback - 1 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01