5.0 out of 5 stars It's amazing!!!
One of the best books I've ever read. I'm 10 and I got lost in the world of Ingo. It's not childish, it's fascinating. I'm now reading the third book and it's just as good. I highly recommend this book.
Published on 8 Oct 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, new life to old legends
Sapphire lives with her brother Conor in a tiny beach cottage on the edge of the Cornish sea, their days are idyllic, swimming and playing in and around their secret cove below the house. The only shadow is their lost father and their sad mother who works all hours as a waitress to pay the bills. Then Conor begins to absent himself and Sapphire, naturally saddened and...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Jo Bennie

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting for children, 14 Aug 2012
Mrs. Carrie Smith (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
My 9 year old daughter loves these books. They are captivating and she loves the fantasy aspect of them. She enjoys Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books and so this fit right in there with that genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingo Reveiw, 28 Mar 2012
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
Ingo is hauntingly beautiful, a tale of a brother and sister drawn to the sea and the wonders beneath the waves. their earth time is running out and ingo is taking over can Connor and Sapphire resist the call of the deep.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER KIDS REVEIW, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
I was bought this book for my birthday and i wasn't sure about it . I now regret that thought though as i soon as i'd read the first chapter i wanted to read for ever. Its very easy to feel like your away in Ingo with Saph and Connor. I am now looking forward to reading The Tide Knot by Helen Dunmore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
I bought this for my book-devouring daughter Jemima, having only read the sleeve notes when I saw it in a bookstore in Cambridge. She absolutely loved it and as she says herself, "Ingo is amazing. I loved the story line and the way it binds in with the Mermaid of Zennor, a brilliant myth, and I just couldn't put the book down". I think I'm going to read it myself...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, enchanted story of an undersea world, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
Helen Dunmore writes a lovely story of a child's encounter with the secret and luring world below the ocean. Dreamy, very British, fairy-tale-like, yet somehow realistic. This is not a story of happy mermaids swimming below the sea. There is a dark side to this world and the interaction between land and sea. Very captivating, I'm looking forward to the other volumes in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Jun 2009
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book and I do think it would be good value for money. I think that it is a really interesting childrens story and I recommend it to most people but mainly fantasy/adventure lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Story!!, 16 Aug 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
This book is soooo good! I could not put it down. it makes you feel as if you are in the story, swimming through the coves and flying through the currents. I would reccomend all the books (Ingo, the tide knot, the deep and the crossing of ingo) to anyone. Even if you dont like reading that much this book will hook you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 14 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
My 11 year old son had to read this for school, and he loved it so much he has asked me to buy the sequel!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good series start, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
i cant really remember this book but i know it was one that was good but a little disappointing. i thought it would be a little more exciting but it was a good series start. i loved the bit where sapphire discovers ingo-well, discovers herself more like! many surprises pop up out of nowhere, for example, sudden appearences of different people. the italic writing was a bit confusing, but to help you, i think it is sapphire's thoughts. i think this book is for a wide age range, from age 8 to 14. i did not find it too easy or too hard, just right for me. it makes you desperate for the next book, with its sort of waiting theme. in short, a very good book.

by Leela age 8.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinct lack of mermaids!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Ingo (Paperback)
Ok, this is a children's book, but I've always been a bit of a mermaid fan and I read some good reviews, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The plot revolves around Sapphire Trewhella who lives on the coast in Cornwall with her parents and older brother Connor. One day, Sapphire and Connor's father mysteriously disappears after taking his boat out at night. Rumours fly that that he's either been involved in an accident out at sea or he's run off with another woman. However, Sapphire and Connor refuse to believe either of these explanations and vow to keep looking for him. It soon becomes clear to them both that the sea they've lived next to all of their lives has a power they could never have imagined.

Bearing in mind that this is a children's book, I still felt that the writing was more juvenile than it should be. The plot dragged on in places, and the characters (particularly Sapphire) seemed rather annoying and whiney. The merpeople didn't come across as particularly likeable to me, either. I was also disappointed that most of the story took place on land rather than in the sea, and only two merpeople appeared in the story. However, the descriptions of the underwater world were vivid and the author obviously loves the sea. Overall, the plot was rather lacklustre and didn't really seem to go anywhere. The key question throughout the book is what happened to the children's father, yet this isn't answered, only hinted at. Evidently the author wanted to save this for a future book, but it meant that this book ended up having quite a weak plot.

Ingo
Ingo by Helen Dunmore (Paperback - 2 May 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01