• Ingo

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2011
This book is incredible and well thought out. The entirety of the book is composed in strange text that takes a little while to get into but once you do you are hooked! It is like telling a tale of mermaids by merfolk themselves or 'Mer' as they like to be called. I have only read half of this book and already I am considering buying the entire book series.
Overall a must read for Mer fans.
on 6 July 2009
Ingo is a really fun book, and has a real sense of imagination. Its a page turner, and couldn't stop reading once i got started! My friend recommend it to me, because i love anything to do with the sea.
I'm glad she recommended it to me as it was a delightful read.
Ingo starts with sapphire, conner and there dad and mum. one night Sapphires dad goes down to the beach, but he is never seen again. Sapphire goes looking for him on the beach when she finds a merman named Far.
Faro shows her the world of ingo, thats very dangerous to humans. Can sapphire resist the call to the deep your have to find out, as i won't spoil anything! I really recommend this the other books in the series are also very good.
on 2 February 2008
Ingo is a wonderful,adventurous and well written book set in cornwall.
the story is based on the adventures sapphire has in Ingo with her friends Faro and elvira.
Ingo is a whole different world beneath the waves totally opposite to on land which the mer call air.
It has a fun,beautiful,peaceful and also spooky side to it.
Where Dolphins play and sea creatures speak ,when sapphire enters Ingo she instantly feels at home.
I would recommend this book to everyone,it is a brilliant story to read aloud and it really makes you feel like your there, and being the characters.
on 26 September 2012
I received "Ingo" as a 9th birthday present and I thought it looked very difficult, but decided to read the first chapter. A few hours later I was already on the 4th chapter! A few days later I am writing this review. It is an enchanting book that takes you into a different world. It starts a bit slow but then speeds up and becomes a fascinating story. I love it because they put 2 completely different worlds into one story. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book.
By Georgia aged 9 1/2
on 5 November 2006
My 7year old daughter chose this book from our local library saying "Mum can I have this one look at the good descriptive words on the back?" I was thrilled at her reason for choosing it and proud that she had used this method to decide whether or not she wanted it! We have both thoroughly enjoyed it with two more chapters to go and have often felt we are right there in the story!! So were thrilled to also learn that it is the first of a trilogy!! Great
on 9 January 2011
This book is great, it has a great story with a great plot. Ingos charater are so discriptive and you just get hooked.
on 8 September 2010
Helen Dunmore writes a lovely story of a child's encounter with the secret and luring world below the ocean. Dreamy, very British, fairy-tale-like, yet somehow realistic. This is not a story of happy mermaids swimming below the sea. There is a dark side to this world and the interaction between land and sea. Very captivating, I'm looking forward to the other volumes in this series.
on 27 September 2010
I bought this for my book-devouring daughter Jemima, having only read the sleeve notes when I saw it in a bookstore in Cambridge. She absolutely loved it and as she says herself, "Ingo is amazing. I loved the story line and the way it binds in with the Mermaid of Zennor, a brilliant myth, and I just couldn't put the book down". I think I'm going to read it myself...
on 2 February 2010
Ingo is a fantasy book about Sapphire and her brother Conor, told from Sapphire's point of view. Sapphire's life revolves around the cove, but when Conor starts going down to the cove without telling her something is going on. A dreamy, gripping fantasy for 10 to 14 year olds, about the world beneath the sea.
on 31 May 2014
This book is laced with magic not only in the story but in the writing. Helen Dunmore has the ability to surround you in the story the images and moods she creates makes you feel part of. While I read this story I became unaware of my own surroundings and completely in golfed in the magical world she created.