1,208 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition!
JRR Tolkien's book "The Lord of the Rings" needs no introduction. It's a timeless classic that should at least be given a try by absolutley everyone! That said, this edition is just great! I was quite surprised when I first saw this edition with my own eyes. The books are large, pages are thick, the covers and the illustrations are a feast to look at and the...
Published on 18 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
We all know that the The Lord of the Rings is a work of genius, so this review covers this particular published version (The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition). First off this book is expensive and in format it is only a little larger than the paperback version. Also apart from the three pages from the book of Mazurbul there are no illustrations. First...
Published on 23 April 2005 by J Meehan

‹ Previous | 119 20 21121 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars simply outstanding, 20 May 2000
how can you say anything that hasn't already been said about this literary masterpiece. Having first read this 25 years ago , i am about to read it again as i have been spoilt forever by this book . When i put it down i felt empty as i knew instinctively that nothing in the future would ever come near to the rollercoster of emotions this book produced. Having read many thousands of books since i have to concede and read it again.My online experiences are even coloured by this book , with nicknames and passwords being used from this magical world.

5.0 out of 5 stars At least one teen 'oo spends more of her time reading..., 25 Dec 2001
By A Customer
When he wrote the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien created a *world*. The characters aren't just "characters", they're real people with their own goals, and faults, hopes and troubles. You feel like you could walk down a road and see these people and greet them like old friends. I loved this series ever since I first read it, and I hope that you, whoever you are, will find yourself a copy and read it. And then share it with friends. And get *them* to share it with friends. These books are magic, to those who love new worlds...

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest epic of the English Language, 17 April 2001
By A Customer
First I would like to explain why I rate it 4 and not 5 stars, despite my strong one-line summary. The only reason is that I feel that some of the second book, The Two Towers, could have been left out. Having said that, I wish to share that part of this epic which no other reviewer here seems to have mentioned. Not only is LOTR possessed of a vast scope, charming characters and bold action( all of which I like greatly), but the VOICE of Tolkien, his adjectives, writing style, etc, sound like music to me. Some of the poetry that occasionally occurs is perhaps not the best, however it is nearly neccessary 'documentation', and lends yet a greater air of authenticity. The words of Tolkien are honed as in a furnace. What turns of phrase. Like many here, I reread my copies about every 18 months or so. There are lessons in the struggle with self, and with good and evil here; evil does not always appear so. If you have not read this trilogy, I commend it to your attention; give it about 40 pages or so to shift into high gear from introduction of some rather petty minded folk to the high calling and peril in which some of them find themselves. Again, the finest, the highest, the noblest expression of the quest I have found in literature. Elendil!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life-style, 3 Oct 2001
It is my humble opinion that the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien is the best fantasy story ever. All other authors who use elves, dwarves and humans as there base characters (like R.E. Feist, R. Jordan, Weis&Hickman and so one) can only try to emulate (sometimes even successful) Tolkiens masterpiece.
The storyline, like that of many other autors, is complex, multi-dimensional, exhilarating, and riveting. However, for most authers this is where it ends, but Tolkien takes it a little further. The element emotion is extremely well developed in these books. They will make you cry, they will make you laugh and whenever there is a battle, be sure you're in a secure room, because the battle-rage will make you go look for a sword and start hacking stuff (wonderously enough Tolkien never falls back to describing battles in all their details, meaning with alot of blood and gore).
But Tolkien did not merely create a good book, no, he created an entire new world, with new races with histories that reach back thousands of years, he redesigned the concept Gods and invented an entire new language to go with it(which he himself actually mastered) including it's grammer. To keep this oratory short, read it OR DIE

5.0 out of 5 stars Defining my childhood, 9 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Defining how much Lord Of The Rings means to me would be like trying to define my childhood. When I was young, my parents took turns to read it to me and my sisters. It was a coninous joy and my own greatest pleasure before sleep. Time has gone by and my family has split up, my life is filled with more complex worries...but there is still this book. And now, after a tiring day of work and exams, I read it to my girlfriend, leading her into the wonderous world that this book creates. It is pure escapism, the more you think about it and analyse it, you take away the true pleasure of this book, and that's it's ability to drag you into it's story. You feel every step through Middle-Earth, you'll laugh with the jokes, cheer when the king returns, be horrified by the Black Riders...and cry at the end, feeling you've lived with the characters and seen them through all their troubles. With this book now honoured by being called the best book of the 20th century, and equally blessed with a chance to make a world of cinema-goers happy, the legacy that JRR Tolkien has left us just goes from strength to strength. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have. I know that someday, perhaps my children will.

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Tolkein, 4 July 2005
You can't escape from Tolkien. He's had such an effect on modern fiction that everyone seems to look up to him as some sort of saint. I love Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and read the former at least once a year (call me sad if you will). On my own rather battered copy of LOTR there is a review from The Sunday Times and I think this describes Tolien's work better than any other: "The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit and those who are going to read them."

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was my gateway to fantasy novels, 9 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I read The Hobbit when I was 11 years old and shortly afterwards I read Lord of the rings, in the past six years I've read many novels most of which have been fantasy and I would claim without any reservations that Tolken's work is the best I've witnessed. His characters come alive on the pages with their epic quests and accomplishments many of which I still hold fond memories of long after I finished the book. He is a master of suspense and building the tension. And for me his battles have been the most exciting I've read. If you read down the reviews you'll see a few 1 or 2 star ratings and personally I find this disappointing. The popularity of this book has attracted some readers who I feel just aren't up to reading classic fantasy as Tolken created it. If you're the type who can't stand the steady build up of tension and actually getting to know your characters before their thrown into the action maybe this isn't the book for you. But if you can appreciate the finer side of fantasy literature I recommend you buy this book because you'll never regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars This edition is poor quality, 20 Aug 2001
Don't get me wrong - I love LOTR, and I hate to be a stick in the mud. Its just that this paperback edition, contains paper as flimsy as toilet roll, and ink that smudges with the slightest touch. I'd recommend Lord of the Rings to anyone, but if you can afford it Id say spend a little more money to get a book that lasts its proper lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking. Quite unrivalled in its sheer magnificence., 16 May 2000
By A Customer
The tale of "The Lord of the rings" is quite simply outstanding in its detail and unrivalled in its abilities to stir the emotions of the reader in every possible way. This book becomes a part of you when you delve into its depth, character and sheer decadence. It makes you feel as though you are part of the world that the characters travel in and in a way you are. Words simply can't describe it. The best book ever to be published on this earth at any time. Pure perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rocks your socks, 30 May 2001
By A Customer
i am 16 and have read two books in my life. (not including school) i have read the hobbit (which i would give 5/5) and the lord of the rings. these books are great. if you are a fan of things like zelda and final fantasy games etc then you will love this. this is an excellent unmissable book for all ages.
it makes you feel as if you are entering another world as you read it which i found great.
Buy this book as it rocks!!!
ps. READ THE HOBBIT FIRST!!!

‹ Previous | 119 20 21121 | Next ›

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 17 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01