Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2010
Excellent final book of the Javier Falcon quartet on par with the first. Wilson is a master of the genre. This is what good fiction is all about.
on 11 August 2013
Pitty no more Javier to follow. brilliant series of novels.Robert Wilson is an outstanding writer but the Seville element quite special!
on 1 July 2014
Watched Falcon the tv series and wanted to read the sequel which is proving a page turning read. Look forward to the dramatisation.
on 3 May 2013
The Javier Fálcon series, are simply awesome. Robert Wilson did a great job on creating one of the best characters that i ever read.
on 3 August 2012
As with all the other Javier Falcon books Wilson has done it again though sadly for the last time. Will miss this complex character.
VINE VOICEon 21 May 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wish complicated detective novels came with a fold-out diagram to help you follow the plot! This one had me struggling through the first 120 pages, as I tried getting to grips with a confusing mass of characters and previous events affecting the present. My persistence was well rewarded: non-stop action, in the second half of the book, had me enthralled.

I can't begin to describe the plot to you: it involves Russian mafia power struggles; Islamic fundamentalist spy networks; at least four different police forces; three secret police networks; Seville's local politics and our hero's challenging love life. This is the fourth book in a series - as an earlier reviewer said, it's probably a lot easier to follow if you've read the others.

Despite the plot's intricacies (which necessitated several of those staged-conversation scenes, where the background is explained), I found the characters very interesting. The main man, Javier Falcon, is an inspector in Seville's homicide squad. Having experienced a breakdown five years ago, he gained insights from therapy which help him in his work. Many of the book's other players - there are hundreds! - are merely sketched in, but always with a few qualities that bring them to life. Very clever work by the author; he must be a brilliant student of human nature.

The action shoots between Spain, England and Morocco. The author lives in Seville, where Inspector Falcon is based, and he did a great job of evoking that city's atmosphere without going overboard on detail.

At first, I thought I wouldn't finish the book but I'm glad I stuck with it - it's a masterful piece of storytelling. I'd recommend reading one of the others first (or getting someone to draw you that diagram!) A great read for a long weekend.
on 16 October 2014
good read
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are some book series that you can enjoy reading out of sequence and some books in a series that you can enjoy reading on their own. "The Ignorance of Blood", unfortunately, suffered when read on its own. Apart from numerous references to events in the books preceding it in the series, it reads very much as a continuation of an ongoing story. Reading it as I did -- without reading the previous two books in the Javier Falcon trilogy -- felt a little like coming into the theater in the middle of a movie.

If it had been written a little bit differently, I might have gone back to books one and two and read it in sequence in the way I would have, when I was younger, waited for the film to start again and watch it up to the point where I came in. As it is, I haven't bothered to look up the titles of the first two books in Wilson's trilogy. I quite like thrillers, but I now know that I prefer them to be written in a straightforward manner. I don't mind characters who have depths -- hidden or otherwise -- or who are in touch with their feminine or masculine sides. Such fleshed-out inventions actually add to the enjoyment of a thriller and make it easier to become involved in the story. Wilson often employs disconcerting phrasing, however, in "The Ignorance of Blood" by writing in chopped up phrases instead of sentences. Within the context of otherwise normal statements, this tends to have a stuttering effect; you almost wonder if Wilson had forgotten to fill out his notes or join up some of the phrases. This is all right when it's dialogue, statements, or the thoughts of a character or characters in the story because real people do sometimes speak or think in phrases. It can convey delirium, confusion, or other states or emotions. It does not work when it is the storyteller or the storytelling that proceeds -- or does not, as in this case -- in this disjointed manner. The feel is very much of sections that ought to have been laid out in verse or in bullet points like a list and is out of place in a book like this.

The other bemusing element in Wilson's writing is his occasionally odd choice of words: you don't know if the over-dramatic feel is a result of missing out on the build-up because you haven't read the previous two books, or if Wilson really just writes like this. Either way, you start getting the feeling, as you realize that he writes phrases and descriptions obviously laden with significance, that you are missing something. The sad thing is that, after chapters of this heavy, obscure meaningfulness, you can't quite bring yourself to care. This is a pity because in places Wilson writes tight, punchy descriptions. His prose seems divided between effective, meaty writing and florid froth. In combination with the verse-/list-like intervals, you rather lose the will to read. I did make it to the end, but it wasn't easy.

Make this one a book for the fans. I'm afraid I'm not one of them.
on 16 January 2013
I ordered this paperback book having seen the tv series. To be honest I didn't really enjoy it that much.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found the plot, which wasn't that brilliant either, took awhile to get going, and it had too many characters, which made it difficult to remember who everyone was, some of whom seemed to be pointless to the overall story. I had just enough curiosity to finish the book but I found this to be a below average thriller.