5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple's Final Cases
Having listened to the wonderful stories on these audio CDs, I have to say that it was well worth the purchase!
The stories are great, and the readers (Joan Hickson, Isla Blair and Anna Massey) do a superb job of bringing each character to life.

Published on 29 Mar. 2011 by Jennifer Marks

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, fairly entertaining
Well after maybe a 35 year hiatus between my last reading of the venerable Dame of Crime Fiction, I thought it was time to head back down to St Mary Mead and see what all the fuss was about.

Published 13 months ago by col2910

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple's Final Cases, 29 Mar. 2011
Jennifer Marks (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miss Marple's Final Cases: Complete & Unabridged (Audio CD)

Having seen Joan Hickson on television in the role of Jane Marple (the best Jane Marple ever, imho), it was very easy for me to "see" her as the stories unfolded. Isla Blair and Anna Massey, also brought Jane to life very convincingly. I admit, I was surprised to see that Joan Hickson was not the only reader (the information I read seemed to have left that bit out), but the two other actresses both give high quality readings, so it worked out all right.

When I found the 'Final Cases', and saw that they were complete and unabridged, I was so pleased. Abridged stories might be useful for quick reads, but they can miss so much of the little details, which for me, are just as important as the main story.

About the only disappointment I felt (and it is truly just a tiny one), is that I cannot listen to the stories while I am studying, as it becomes too distracting! However, they are perfect for listening to while I am driving, or if I am just having some quiet time in the house. I do wish that there were more stories on the CDs, but that gives me an incentive to look for more audio stories, hopefully also read by Joan Hickson.

If you like Agatha Christie, and Jane Marple in particular, I thoroughly recommend 'Miss Marple's Final Cases' (Complete and Unabridged) audio CDs. They are the perfect complement to the books, and perfect for listening to while driving, or at home during "quiet" times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Miss Marple�s fans, 5 April 2005
Miguel M. Santos "miguelmsantos" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Miss Marple is my favourite of all of the recurrent Agatha Christie's characters and this collection of nine short stories didn't disappoint me in the least. Of the nine, two do not include the famous sleuth but are rather of a supernatural nature (calling them ghost stories would be a bit too much) and one of the Miss Marple's stories is taken from another book. All nine are very good, some of them among Christie's best plots. I loved the book and I strongly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen., 1 Nov. 2009
Elspeth (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed these stories very much - hadn't heard them before. I think Joan Hickson was THE BEST Miss Marple on TV and her voice is the one I want to hear telling the Miss Marple stories, as I can just picture her various facial expressions from the telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Collection of Mysteries!, 4 Aug. 2014
This is a fantastic collection of Miss Marple tales! I loved them!

I downloaded this set of six Miss Marple stories in audiobook for my mom, so it would give her something to occupy her time while recuperating; she had been very ill in hospital at the time. I decided to listen to it myself once she had recovered, because I love Agatha Christie's mystery books too.

This audiobook was narrated by one of the best actresses (I feel) to have portrayed Miss Marple, Dame Joan Hickson. Her narration of six of the stories brought them to life for me. And, as she also acted in some of them on TV as serial episodes, I could picture them with ease.

The stories in this collection are:
The man found dying in the church sanctuary
The puzzle of Uncle Henry's hidden legacy
The baffling mystery of the stabbing of Mrs Rhodes
The question of the murderer with the tape-measure
The case of Miss Skinner's Maid
The curious conduct of the caretaker
There are also two bonus stories that were narrated very well by another lady, which were not Miss Marple mysteries. They were called 'The Dressmaker’s Doll’ and ‘In a Glass Darkly’.

Each one of these stories was very entertaining. I love reading mysteries, and Agatha Christie, in my opinion, wrote some of the best detective novels of her day. Her two most well known characters, Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, have entertained readers like me for many years. However, I don't think these were her best stories. Although Joan Hickson did a remarkable job in telling these tales, Agatha Christie seemed to have had rushed a couple of them; the plots were not as solid as her earlier pieces. I will say that The Dressmaker's Doll was extremely spooky, and more like a ghost story than a mystery. Nevertheless, it was a pleasure to listen to all of the stories in this collection. I will be revisiting them again, I am sure!

I highly recommend this book if you love classic mystery or thriller genres. - Lynn Worton

5.0 out of 5 stars Nine stories, 9 Aug. 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a collection of nine short stories, one of which does not feature Miss Marple. I always think crime short stories must be one of the most difficult genres to write as there is not space to develop character or show a police investigation.

These stories make use of someone telling a story - often to Miss Marple. In one case it is her doctor who writes a story and gives it to her to cheer her up when she's feeling down. Naturally she works out what has happened.

I enjoyed all these stories and was particularly taken with `The Dressmaker's Doll', which is really quite spooky and the reader gets a real sense of the possibly evil propensities of the doll concerned. I also liked the last story in the collection - `Greenshaw's Folly' which features a particularly ingenious murder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, fairly entertaining, 25 May 2014
col2910 (Bedfordshire,UK) - See all my reviews

The easiest option for me was to have a crack at a few of her Miss Marple short stories and having picked up this charity shop bargain for the humungous sum of 25p when out and about with my wife and youngest daughter on Monday, I decided to bump the dame off.......sorry, bump her up the queue and get started.

6 stories – 142 pages – 2-3 hours reading time.

Well I can add another female author to the tally and possibly can tick a box on my silver bingo card for my Vintage Mystery challenge, I will check later. Two bonus plusses.

Verdict......well I didn't manage to guess the culprit or guilty party or unravel the mystery in any of the tales before the big reveal, so that was good. And AC can certainly paint a vivid picture for you of her characters; in this particular instance a bed-bound spinster.........with a good deal of greyish-yellow hair untidily wound around her head and erupting into curls, the whole thing looked like a bird’s nest of which no self-respecting bird could be proud. So another tick there. Thirdly, most of the stories engaged me and had me speeding along to the end, so I can’t in all honesty feign indifference.

I think what struck me was how unsympathetic most of her victims and villains all appeared to be. In the case of the hidden legacy, I didn't like old Uncle Henry’s beneficiaries and was half hoping that Miss Marple was unable (or perhaps more entertainingly) unwilling to solve the riddle and therefore deprive the horrible, vile rats of their inheritance. I guess Marple though couldn't possibly dare to fail. There’s something a little bit unappealing to me about someone who has to be shown to be the cleverest person in the room, all the time. She might just be a little too smug and self-satisfied for me to tolerate too much of her. Time will tell; maybe a longer exposure to our elderly spinster’s charms will seduce me and have me swooning helplessly in admiration? The 4.50 from Paddington may seal the deal! I’m prepared to be wooed.

Last observation, I’m unsure when these were originally written – this collection was originally published in 1979, but there are probably too many servants and mistresses, or gentry-types and underlings for me to want to spend too much time in their company. A bit too dated, a bit too Upstairs-Downstairs, a bit too class conscious and a bit too genteel for me. Each to their own, but I will probably not read too many of her other books.

Anyway I must dash......tea and scone time in the drawing room, nanny’s just rung the bell.......... yummy – so toodle pips!

3 from 5

I bought my copy second-hand recently.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mysteries but the two 'other stories' are a waste of time, 5 Aug. 2009
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Although they are titled as the final cases of Miss Marple, there is nothing to really distinguish them as being late in her career, although she clearly has a reputation and as necessitated by the short-story format a lot of the situations are described to the detective and reader rather than being played out narratively.

The Marple stories included in this anthology are very interesting and traditional murder mysteries. They are well executed in this medium and can be read through quite quickly.

There are however two stories included in this collection that do not feature Miss Marple. In fact, they couldn't even be described to sit within the crime genre. They should really have both been classified as horror and really didn't fit in with the rest of the book - I would have preferred they had been left out as they had no sensible conclusion and it feels that they were a waste of time reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple's 6 Final Cases - Agatha Christie, 29 Aug. 2009
JudyR (Bronx, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I love most Miss Marple stories, and these short stories are no exception. My only complaint (if it can be called a complaint) is that these stories were not more fully developed. "The Dressmaker's Doll" and "In a Glass Darkly" were also enjoyable stories. I received the book from England, and I am not sure what is meant by a "facsimile edition." I hope it is not an abbreviated version or reedited by someone else - I like to think that I am reading the stories exactly as Agatha Christie wrote them.

I am very glad I purchased this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok collection of short stories, 16 July 2014
I bought this book expecting the same level of intrigue and suspense as one meets with in the Hercule Poirot series. It doesn't entertain quite as much but still is fine for a distraction. The last two stories aren't really normal detective cases; they are more on the paranormal side.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick reads, 17 April 2012
From the moment of paying for this book i was looking forward to reading it. Agatha Christie is one of my favourites and i have been enjoying the Miss Marple stories. The book arrived in good condition even as a used item, it arrived well packed and the service was excellent.

Miss Marple's Final Cases: Complete & Unabridged
Miss Marple's Final Cases: Complete & Unabridged by Agatha Christie (Audio CD - 7 Nov. 2005)