5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful devotional guide that adds depth to daily prayer
Published on 19 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, however...
Published on 9 Jun 2010 by Miss F. D. Elliott

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful devotional guide that adds depth to daily prayer, 19 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Hardcover)
This prayer book is exceptional,in that it introduces the user to the daily prayers times of morning, mid-day, and evening prayer, as well as many more blessings and prayerful readings. The CD that is also available enhances the work. I've been using it as a guide for the past 4 months, and have been introducing it to my United Methodist Congregation. As a Pastor, I would highly reccommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A companion on the way, 22 April 2009
Bobbygirl (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I was introduced to this book by a very spiritual friend and was so impressed with it I immediately ordered one for myself. There is something very satifying in the rhythm of prayers and meditation morning, noon and night. Drawing as it does on the experiences and thoughts of the Celtic Saints and the Desert Fathers, with input from the Northumbrian Community, this book is a mix of old and new prayers, illustrations and stories, and is ideal for those who want a new way to relate to God; those who need to rekindle the flame in their soul and those who seek to deepen their spiritual relationship with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable resource for daily Celtic style worship, 30 May 2002
Dr. Lars J. S. Knutsen (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Hardcover)
This book has been assembled over a long period of inspiration in the Northumbria Community. It is an excellent resource both for those who are exploring the Celtic way for the first time and for those who are returning to their real roots in Christ. The liturgies are inspiring even for those who do not believe in liturgy, and the daily reading are drawn from a deep well of wisdom and inspiration. What rounds this book off so well is the inspriation gained from stories of the lives of a number of historical figures in the Celtic church, such as Bede, Aidan, Columba and Cuthbert, who witnessed to the power of Christ to heal and change, often in tthe lives of heathen people. What more up to date message do we have?

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, however..., 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I brought this book as I was curious about celtic christianity, and found it interesting. The book is well-organised and does what it says on the tin - in other words, it's a guide to daily prayer and scripture readings as well as Saint Days etc. However, the introduction at the beginning is perhaps too brief - as a complete stranger to celtic christianity I felt that I needed additional explanation and guidence. HOWEVER, the book is so enthusiastic about the Northumbria Community - that the introduction tells me all about the organisation, and tells me nothing about what celtic christians believe in exactly, other than a couple of sentences. Not a good buy if you're curious and new to this type of christianity, but still worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used every day!, 30 Jan 2009
C. Chadwick "book Lover" (Tamworth,Staffs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I have been using this office for a couple of years now,and recommend to anyone who enjoys a celtic flavour to their prayer life.It contains a variety of readings and meditations for each day of the year,as well as morning,midday and evening prayer offices.It should fulfill all your needs,and personally next to my bible,it is a must have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful book besides my Bible., 10 Sep 2009
Ms. Susan C. Convy "Su" (Bournemouth. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
The Celtic Daily Prayer book is the most useful and precious book I possess apart from my Bible. The copies I purchased through Amazon were for other people.
Since my Pastor recommended it to me some nine or ten years ago, it has been a great source of spiritual blessing and has produced a deeper walk with God as a result. It has had a great impact on my life and the feedback I have had from others is equally positive.
Besides the Daily Office, there are many other resources useful and appropriate for both church services and the home.
I am now considering becoming a Companion of the Northumbria Community.

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly and inspiring to use..., 16 July 2009
Mrs. S. A. Smith "Woman of Faith" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I'm a busy catholic benedictine mother of a three year old boy so time is of the essence when trying to fit Offices into my day. I stumbled across this book recently and found it delightful. It's so refreshing and it's nice to see some contemporary material in amongst the old and loved. I normally use the Benedictine Daily Prayer [breviary] which holds a special place in my heart but the Celtic Daily prayer is a lovely change and not so very far removed. The bonus for me [other than the beauty of it's prayers] is that timewise it's alot more user friendly for someone with a busy schedule [that'll be most of us then ;o)].

If you're a lover of liturgy or just enjoy rhythmical/regular daily prayer then this is a must. xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Daily Prayer, 13 Jun 2009
I. Gallagher "Emeraldlight" (Stevenage, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I love this book as it tries to lead one into a life of daily prayer as used by the Celtic saints of old. I am a Seventh Day Adventist and love the "Family Shabbat" section in this book. Keeping the Sabbath is one thing that the Ancient Celtic Christians and people of my faith have in common therefore the idea of "Family Shabbat" on Friday night appeals to me. I find this book refreshing and revitalising in my devotional life. It helps to stop my devotional life from becoming stale as I incorporate the Morning and Evening prayers into my lifestyle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best daily prayer guide I've ever owned, 27 Dec 2010
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
A friend of mine suggested that I get this book to help with my daily quiet time, because I was struggling to find something to hang my routine on without becoming stale.

This was definitely the answer!

A short set of liturgy with picturesque language ("Christ as a light, Christ as a shield" for example)followed by readings designated for each day of the year, both from Scripture and poems or thoughts from medieval religious figures (such as Aidan or Cuthbert or the like), then a time of intercessions that are open to your own materials or impromptu prayer, closing with blessings.

It takes about 15 minutes if I don't spend too long on the intercessions. Really do-able for a busy mum like myself.

My only complaint is -- and it's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 -- that the paperback is soon losing its morning-prayer pages since I refer to them everyday, so I wonder if the hardback wouldn't be a better choice. In the meantime, I'm tempted to take them out and laminate them for daily use, saving the rest of the book for their fascinating, inspiring readings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Celtic Daily Prayer, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) (Paperback)
I heard about this book from a Lent study meeting. A few quotes had been read from this. I thought I would like this book for myself and find it reasonably priced, and a good book to pick up and read if you want some quiet reflective time. It also gives a potted history of the Celtics and Holy Island

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community)
Celtic Daily Prayer (Northumbria Community) by The Northumbria Community (Paperback - 3 May 2005)
10.49