5.0 out of 5 stars BEST book I have ever read!!!
Published on 4 Feb 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so great
While the book has sterling reviews, I expected a good read but I found the story not quite as inspiring as promised. I am sure Torey is an amazing teacher but I felt it just did not come out clearly, the effort and time she put in to change the little girl. Otherwise not too bad.
Published 16 months ago by Onlineshopper456

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST book I have ever read!!!, 4 Feb 1999
This review is from: One Child (Mass Market Paperback)
What more can I say? I read this book for the first time several years ago, and I have re-read it over and over. I have a great respect and admiration for Torey Hayden. Her writing inspired me to pursue a career in education and it has changed the way I relate to people, especially children. I heard that One Child is required reading for some college education courses, and it should be! It is great for teachers, parents, or ANYONE! It kept my interest even though I don't normally read very much. If you think you might be interested in this book, please read it-you won't be sorry! Be sure to have a box of tissues handy. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heartaching touching book, 2 Dec 1998
This review is from: One Child (Mass Market Paperback)
This story is about a teacher and one child. It's heartaching and touching from the moment Sheila walks into that classroom. It almost wanted me to become a teacher, because if you could save just one child it would be worth all the troubles you might have. Mrs. Hayden's way of describing the story and girl is very vividly and you can see Shelia standing right there in front of you. I recommend this book for everyone who is a bit interested in children, especially the need to care about kids. The way it makes you feel when Torey reach into Sheila...it gives you a very joyful moment and you wished there were more persons like her and less child abusers. This book gives you all the emotions, anger, despair, hope, love, makes you smile, makes you want to do something. So please read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars review on one child, 28 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
never having read a book by torey hayden i found her book one child to be the most amazing story of courage from the little girl sheila who the story is about to torey herself who is a teacher who went futher then most would to reach her. i couldnt put this book down and went though many emotions reading this from pride to how sheila came along to sadness from all the suffering she went thorough a real rollercoaster of emotions leaving me in tears i will let you read the book to see if they are tears of sadness or tears of joy, i cant wait to read her other books

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart Wrenching Master-piece, 11 Feb 2006
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
I first read One Child in 2000 and found the story so moving I have read it once a year since. The book brings to many feelings for me to convey to you but I will bullet point the general gist:
1.A beautiful little girl called Shelia commits a crime against another child at the age of 7.
2.Torey haydon, a teacher for children with profound emotional problems has Shelia join the class while a placement opens in the local hospital for mentally Ill people.
3.Shelia is a disruptive, angry mute and makes teaching difficult for Torey.
4.Torey slowly unravels Shelia’s past and discovers a world of abuse, torture, dysfunction and brings Shelia to face her situation.
Torey brings Shelia to life and everyone that reads it will be feeling the same. Shelia is a girl everyone wants to know and help. Although Shelia has experienced things we could not imagine, she is still strong and carries such charm and innocence. I no it sounds cheesy but One Child has made me think different about life. One Child is the only book i have ever read in my life apart from the squeal, Tiger's child where you can read what happened next to Shelia as a teenager. One Child will captivate you and leave you feeling happy but also sad and you will want more. Please read this book, boy girl, child or adult. It seems relevant for everyone and I can 100% guarantee you will not retreat it. Anyone trying to write a review on this book will do no justice, the story line is simple and so easy to follow but it’s the feeling you have reading every line. It’s packed with emotion and you will not be able to put it down. Simply Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars a difficult book to read, 20 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
if you have children, this will be a hard book to read but one which sould be read.
a story of trust. love and hope.
torey hayden recounts her life in the classroom of 'difficult' children and how she has helped stabalise them into teaching them and dealing with them and them dealing with everyday life.
this is a story about one child, sheila, aboandoned, unloved, abused and how she helped sheila.
there are lots of books out there about this subject. one story they all give is hope.
read this book and weep. weep for the lost childhood but, above all, weep for the hope

5.0 out of 5 stars A hopeless case..., 5 April 2005
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
Torey Hayden recounts the simple, riveting tale a classroom of "crazies" - troubled and mentally disturbed children - centering around her relationship with one girl. Six-year-old Sheila has seen and done horrors unimaginable to most adults; destined to spend her life in a hospital for lighting a three-year-old boy on fire, Hayden imagines the girl to be a hopeless case.
The charm of this books is not in hidden beneath jumbled metaphors and complicated text; it flows easily from page to mind to heart. The real charm of this books lies in the innocence of not only the tortured Sheila, but also that of Hayden, who we also are allowed to watch and feel for through the book, as she is our lense into the world that these children face. It's not done up with drama or long-winded, poetic meanderings of the writer's mind. It is instead based in the humble day to day activites sporatically disrupted by the natural drama that Sheila brings along. Every step of Sheila and Hayden's journey together, the reader is brought closer to their hearts, touched and angered by every event that occurs.
Hayden fights through her struggle to come out in the end more the wiser, as so does the reader. Wiser, less innocent, and so increadibly changed by the tremendous story of one little girl and the teacher who did nothing less and nothing more than simply love her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Emotional and Uplifting, 1 Jun 2006
J. Gates (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
This is a great book and a must read. I was handed this book and started reading late one afternoon - after the first chapter I was hooked and read the entire book that night! It's a roller-coaster ride of emotion, heart warming and emotional to the end. Once you've finished this book you will want to read Tiger's Child by the same author. I finished this book, ordered the second and completed that book in one sitting! I highly recommend both and especially to anyone suffering from clinical depression. Truly inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tribute to the resilience of human beings., 15 Nov 1997
This review is from: One Child (Mass Market Paperback)
I truly loved One Child. It spoke to my heart. I'm an 8th grade teacher and found this book on a list of recommended books for middle school children. I have selected some mature readers to read One Child. They all gave it a thumbs up. Torey Hayden is a wonderful writer and a wonderful human being

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 11 Feb 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
This is the harrowing story of an abandoned and abused child who has never shown any emotion and how one Teacher changed all that. Sheila was placed in Torey’s class as a holding place until a place becomes available in a secure hospital. When she is first introduced Sheila is the quintessential wild-child but with some careful but firm nurturing the gifted child within eventually shines through.
I loved the way this story just sucked you in so you can picture all the children in Torey’s class just sitting in front of you. Reading how Torey managed to tame Sheila and how Sheila managed to cope with being tamed was enthralling. It gives you a new-found respect for Teachers of this stature who put their lives on hold to help those unable to help themselves. And it makes you want to scoop Sheila up and just hug her!
I didn’t realize that ‘Tigers Child’ was a continuation but will be ordering it asap to see what happened next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotive and powerful - a compelling read!, 31 July 2004
Nina (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
I first read this book several years ago when i was a student in Canada, it having been published in North America before being released in the UK. It is essentially a biography of a special needs teacher in the US, and involves the reader with stories of her class, with very few aspects of her personal life shown. The book mainly focuses on her meeting and "taming" of Sheila, a very troubled little girl who joins her class.
Torey Hayden has no trouble in keeping the reader engaged; life in her classroom never seems to dim, and the emotional struggles that she must go through to manage Sheila are difficult but rewarding to read about.

One Child
One Child by Torey Hayden (Paperback - 6 Dec 2004)
5.59