5.0 out of 5 stars Fancy a fairytale for adults?
I hadn't read anything by Cecelia Ahern and this book was recommended to me from a friend as one to take on my two week honeymoon to the Maldives and so it was...
From the start this story gripped me, I just couldn't put it down, every second I had I was reading, eager to see what happened next.
This really is what you miss from fairytales as a child, of course...
Published on 3 Feb 2008 by Emma Clement

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a re-release
A Place Called Here
This book was released in 2007 with the title " A place called here" It is exactly the same book just different titles!!!! I was very disapointed and annoyed to find that I have two copies of a book that isn't that great!! Other readers watch out for this!
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by K. Burns

5.0 out of 5 stars Fancy a fairytale for adults?, 3 Feb 2008
Emma Clement "Cheeky Monkey" (Bromley, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
This really is what you miss from fairytales as a child, of course what happens to Sandy Shortt (who, by the way is very very tall) will never ever happen to any one of us in real life but hey! that's what fairytales are for! I was very well entertained and my love for this book caused me to go out and buy all the other Cecelia Ahern books too (more reviews to come then!) The way the story is written is fantastic it has the perfect amount of twists and entertaining corners and yes, it makes me think of "a place called here" everytime I lose stuff ... especially socks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 15 April 2007
Fiona Barrett "IrishFi" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
I will say that I did like this book, but I was disappointed with the ending, it felt a little rushed. The start was a bit slow and it wasn't clear either how the ending came about. but still a good read and I'm still a big fan of Ms. Ahern's books. Look forward to her next one, whenever that may be.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a re-release, 18 Mar 2010
K. Burns - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot., 11 Sep 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
I've loved Cecelia Ahern ever since I read PS, I Love You, therefore snapping up her latest offering was a must. A Place Called Here is the tale of Sandy Shortt - a woman whose past has been marred by lost things. When she was ten years old, her classmate Jenny-May Butler went missing. Simply vanished. No evidence of foul play or her having run away - it was as if she had been sucked into the sky. Since then, Sandy has had an obsession with finding things, and people. Socks, clothes, brothers, sisters. Finding has become Sandy's life.

Now an adult, Sandy runs a missing persons agency. People come to her when the police have exhausted all possible leads - and Sandy continues where they left off. Sometimes she is successful, sometimes she is not. Nevertheless, Jack Ruttle enlists her help to find his younger brother, Donal, who went missing a year ago. They spend hours on the phone going over the evidence, and eventually decide to meet. However, Sandy doesn't turn up at their meeting - much to Jack's confusion. From the conversations they've had, Jack knows Sandy well enough to know this is unlike her.

Days later, Sandy still hasn't shown up. Friends and family assure Jack this is normal behaviour, and that she often takes off for days at a time, without telling anybody where she is going. But Jack knows something is wrong, and decides to try and find her. He has to find her, because she is the only one that can help him find Donal.

Sandy, however, has finally achieved her life's goal. She has found the place where all lost things go. A parallel universe where missing socks, clothes, brothers and sisters turn up. Her life's work is in this special place - the people she has searched for - all here. Well, almost all. Sandy is yet to find Donal, or her old classmate Jenny-May. But Sandy finally feels complete now she has proven the existance of such a place. Now all she has to do is find her way home again...

A Place Called Here started off well - I immediately cared about the main character Sandy, and found myself wanting to understand her strange quirks, and what has made her the way she is. As the story progressed I really liked the way things were going, especially the interwoven tales of love, loss and obsession. I couldn't wait to find out the conclusion to Sandy's tale. But I was disappointed. I had theories, of course, but I think Ahern could have made her ending much more powerful - instead it's left fairly ambiguous and in the air, which I didn't like.

This isn't a bad read, and addresses some interesting topics, for example Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but a real let down of an ending.

Still, if you're into chick-lit there's worse you could read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An adult fairytale!, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
Since Sandy Shortt's neighbour went missing when they were both 10 years old Sandy has been obsessed with missing things, to the point where her family are worried about her mental health. When she leaves school she becomes a garda... when assigned to cases regarding missing people she continues to search even after the case has been closed in the hope of finding them. She eventually leaves the gardai to become an investigator helping families find missing relations. It is during this time she goes missing herself.

This story is a fairy tale, This is a very different book to PS I Love you and where Rainbows end... just like If you could see me now its a fairy tale. Well written and a great story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me a little let down, 14 Jun 2007
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
I believe like many fans of Cecelia Ahern i happily walked out of the bookshop with her latest offering in my Waterstones carrier bag and willed the bus to get home so i could sit with my cup of coffee and settle in for another brilliant and magical book.

I do believe this was a good book but in the same breath i found it took me awhile to get into it properly and to fully appreciate it, at times i was a little confused with the jumping back and forward, it all comes together further on into the book and the story of Sandy and her obsession become endearing.

The book still had the magical twist that i feel Cecelia Ahern puts into her books but i don't think it had the same amount of magic as P.s I Love You or Where Rainbows End.

All the same, i did enjoy the book - it just took me ever so slighlty longer to feel the familiar sparkle that has come with previous books.

I still am a big fan of her work and look forward to her next book, and if rumours are true i will be interested to see how the planned movie of ps i love you turns out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel idea and a fun read, 5 Jun 2008
Richard Madgin (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
I have to say firstly how surprised I am by all the reviews stating that they found this book to be "disappointing". I can only imagine that they have read more of Ahern's work than I have, and that this work is such a drastic departure from her norm as to upset those readers.

Having only read this book by Ahern I came to this book with an open-mind. The premise of a land where things go to once having gone missing is a unique and wonderful idea. Sandy (the main protagonist) is a likeable character with understandable reasons for always wanting to find her missing things, due to a occurences in her childhood. She may not always seem like a people-person because of her quirky traits but in the end I think she is ultimately searching for more than her lost items... she's searching for acceptance, friendship, and love.

There are some touching moments too, especially once Sandy is in the land of the missing. You can easily relate to the other missing people's anxiousness and desire to know more about there past lives in the outside world.

The mystery of whether the missing people are dead or just occupying another world/plane is never cleared up, as is how they got there, but that is fine for me as one has to suspend belief sometimes. Enjoy the flights of fancy of this book, and let yourself go.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed P.S I Love You and If You Could See Me Now I picked up this booked with considerable interest. It let me down however. It came through as muddled and the ending was no where near worth reading the entire book for. This book starts well and you think it is going to be something that holds your attention all the way through, but it isn't. I felt that I had got 3/4 of the way through the book before anything resembling a decent story actually re-emerged from the pages. Not in the same league as the other 2 books I have read by this author. Both of which I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, ACTUALLY, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
Picked this book up during honeymoon in Crete as it was written in English. Didn't know what to expect as haven't read any previous Cecelia Ahern books. Thought it might be too 'chick-litty' and fluffy but was pleasantly surprised. It's a great find. To read a book that doesn't have bumbling stereotyped heroines flitting between equally stereotypical boy/friends and making hugely complicated comedies of errors in other stereotpical fashions was bliss. In fact it was like a breath of fresh air and I loved the subtle and real humour it contained. I loved that the heroine was gangly and gawky and had such issues she needed counselling... honest to goodness stuff. She wasn't prissy or pretentious and I'd have liked to have been her friend... we could have swapped odd socks. The whole ideas was ingenious and we should read more books like this that transport you away to another world which could exist if only in our minds.
Loved it so much new husband is now reading it and enjoying it... daughter next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant read, 4 Jun 2007
H. L. Davis (Hayes, Middlesex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
To begin with I thought the storyline was too far fetched...but I perservered and became engrossed. I liked Sandy Shortt's character, and her personal drive and motivation fuelling her successful career. It has a nice change to the usual "chick lit", although I must admit I prefer Ceceila Ahearn's earlier novels which are more emotional storylines in contrast to magical.

I feel both Jack's and Dr Burton's characters were also well explored... maybe greater depth could have been given to some of the habitants of "Here"...

Although it was evident Sandy would leave "Here", the circumstances of this were more difficult to predict...I'm not sure I liked the ending...obviously it would be difficult to convince people of her whereabouts but how else could her injuries be accounted for...I guess that sums up the elusiveness of her character and therefore the lack of explanation her friends and families demand.

All in all well worth the read.

A Place Called Here
A Place Called Here by Cecelia Ahern (Paperback - 16 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01