Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2014
Well written - in sections of about an 40 mins to an hour each - great for travelling. The subject of each chapter is chosen as much for their complex character as much as their heroic deeds - without the authors opinion and interpretation each study would be worthless - but the overall result is a great read for occasions when your time is broken into short sections.
on 26 January 2016
As a fan of Max Hasting I was surprised by this book. He does not write it with his usual flair and understanding, that always offers information that is original and thought provoking. This book seemed to be more like a record or report on activities. Definitely disappointed, perhaps it would be Ok if another author had written it, but not up to Max's usual standard.
on 12 November 2014
Not Max's best. But then I like the whole historical narrative rather than individual tales of dare-ing do. Confirms what I always thought though, many of these "heroes" are mad, bad or sad or all three. All of them are dangerous to know.
on 7 March 2014
I bought this for my husband and he loved it so much he couldn't resist regaling me with snippets out of it. I should add that I didn't mind this. I've been a Max Hastings fan ever since I read his biography of the Marquis of Montrose.
on 11 September 2015
As with all Max Hastings' books, this is very well written and well researched, however it is a notch below his other books, all of which I've read. Perhaps because the subject is scattered over several centuries, rather than focusing on the specific aspects of one war.
on 16 November 2015
I found this book a very well written novel and obviously well researched, but found the read very heavy going with sometimes an overload of information which I could have still enjoyed the book without.
For me a bit OTT on the in depth knowledge department.
on 1 October 2015
As ever Hastings produces a well researched work that is a good read rather than a dry history. He writes with sympathy for his subjects, even though some of them were flawed as human beings. He has found some thoroughly interesting characters, several of whom were completely unknown to me. Not perhaps in the league of his monumental WW2 histories, but warmly recommended.
on 7 January 2013
An enjoyable read full of exciting accounts of extraordinary soldiers.
It's some time since I read it so can add nothing more.
on 11 February 2016
One of Max Hastings' great strengths as a historical author is the ability to let a story breathe and unfold at its own unforced pace, underpinning the narrative with flawless research. This style of writing really doesn't lend itself to these bite-size chunks. Within the limitations imposed by space, each subject's story, achievements and linking narrative are crammed in together, with the end result coming over rather as an edited CV of each, rather than the kind of discourse at which Hastings usually excels. Some of the subjects are already well-known; others aren't - but as all are dealt with superficially, there's no additional insights into former; and nothing more than arbitrary reasons for including the latter. That's not to say this is a *bad* book - because it isn't. It's just that pretty much everything else Sir Max has written is so much better.
on 14 January 2015
Well researched and written as always. Brilliant