Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2007
This is the sort of book that takes you out of your mundane existence for as long as it takes you to read it. There is relatively little that is in anyway 'real life' about the story - it is a version of Cinderella, after all. How likely is it that you will meet a Marquis when you visit a stately home? But none of that matters because this is a genuinely heart-warming book that most people (particularly hopeless romantics!) are guaranteed to love. Can't wait for Harriet's next.
on 29 November 2007
I haven't ever felt compelled to write a review before now and I have read bookcases full of chick lit, but this book was just perfect! The setting couldn't have been more idyllic; big beautiful stately home in the countryside and Nick ticked all the boxes as the love interest. The book may have been a little bit predictable but I didn't care as I was looking for a happy ending and wanted it to go the way it did! It may follow all the romantic clichés but it was great to escape into this perfect world.
on 8 April 2008
I'd never heard of Harriet Evans and a friend gave me this book. I didn't bother opening it for the first four days of my holiday,as I thought the title made it sound a bit pathetic and old-fashioned. How wrong I was. Once I started it,I couldn't put it down. It was such fun - best read by a swimming pool, with a cocktail by your side. Pure escapism, very funny in places, yet poignant in others. Made me very excited as I now want to read all of Harriet Evans' books.
on 3 July 2011
This was the first Harriet Evans book I read and I loved it so much that I went out and brought all her books on paperback and have since brought the complete set again for my kindle.
For me the Hopeless Romantic is my favourite as I just love the actual story line.
on 1 January 2007
This book is incredibly un-put-down-able! There is a quote on the dust sleeve from Sophie Kinsella describing the book as 'Fabulous' and it's not surprising she liked it as the writing has a very similar feel and the book was as addictive as Sophie Kinsella's usually are.

In saying this it did things that other romantic novels often don't; it left you satisfied. I often finish a romantic novel and I'm happy by the conclusion but wish I could know more about how the characters work together, whether they really are a perfect couple or whether it is in part biased by being from the female protagonists POV. Perhaps that makes me cynical, but this book didn't give me that feeling, it felt just right.

This book is one for a rainy weekend where you sit in bed with a cup of tea and a box of tissues. It will grip you, involve you, make you cry and make you smile. Definitely worth a read :)
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2008
I loved this book! Having read and enjoyed Harriet Evans first novel Going Home I couldn't wait to read A Hopeless Romantic and it lived up to my expectations and more and has now gone on to be one of my all time favorite books. I cried whilst reading the end of this book but unlike other books not because I was sad but because I was so happy. This book is the perfect adult fairytale to get lost in. Full of lovable characters, an enchanting story and both funny and heartbreaking moments it's a must read for any hopeless romantic.
on 28 April 2016
It's very rare that I abandon a book before finishing it, I found this one to be really slow and plodding in parts and finally gave up when I reached chapter 14 and the author decided to dedicate three whole chapters to the lead character's (Laura) holiday in Norfolk with her gran and parents, complete with intricate details of their food, drinks and dull trip to a stately home. Talk of shed fixing and trivial pursuit and just wow, wth? I have no idea how long the holiday bore lasted, this was around 1/3 of the way through.
I haven't read anything by this author before and I doubt I will again. It lacks structure - whilst it got off to a speedy start, darting in and out of Laura's dodgy/blind taste in men in then goes on and on about her boring affair with an unavailable man, the best way to sum it up is scatty and a bit all over the place. It's like being ranted at by one of those people who speaks to fast and won't quite get to the point and frequently goes off on a random tangent. By the time Laura's affair had come to an end I was exhausted and beyond imagining or hoping where the storyline might lead when I was then faced with chapter after chapter of holidaying with old people in Norfolk. I love chick lit and a good laugh out loud romcom but am truly perplexed by the 5 star ratings of this book.
Laura is a hopeless romantic who wants to live a fairytale life featuring a happy ever after. As a consequence of this she has a tendency to choose the wrong man and not to see his faults until it is too late. After a particularly difficult relationship she comes close to losing her job and so she goes with her parents to Norfolk on a very boring holiday. On visiting a stately home she meets the gardener and falls for him - only, of course, he isn't the gardener and she is determined not to fall in love again.

This is a light and enjoyable novel about a young woman who doesn't recognise her own fairytale when she sees it. Laura is an engaging heroine who is easily distracted but good at heart and Nick is a dream hero owning his own stately home but still with hang-ups because of the absence of his mother. Their romance is strewn with the obstacles that you would expect but the author is good at creating interesting minor characters so there is more to the book than just the love story - I particularly liked the ineptness of her flatmate in his romance and Laura's exceedingly boring but lovable father.

This is a good summer read and keeps the attention all the way through finishing with that all important happily ever after which is more than Laura dreamed about.
I have rarely disliked a `heroine' as much as I disliked Laura: supposedly the `hopeless romantic' of the title, I found her selfish, self-centred, stupid and actually very mean to all her friends. I realise that that is not the author's intention, and that we're supposed to see her growing from head-in-the-clouds romantic to finding `true love' but this just didn't work for me.

From her mean-spiritness to all her lovely friends, to her shunning of her parents and family, laughing and despising them for their down-to-earth suburban-ness, to her refusal to take any responsibility either for her job (which she claims she loves) or her own behaviour, I came to dislike her more and more.
And then, on top of all of that, we're supposed to believe that she meets a man and wham! pretty much instant love over four days...

So no, this is just trying way too hard to be sweet and cute and romantic, with its Cinderella/Prince Charming story with more that a hint of Pride & Prejudice: but the overall premise that a dull and mean-spirited girl can be lifted out of her routine life and `saved' from herself (not to mention her job) was one that I had absolutely no sympathy with.
on 25 March 2009
My advice to anybody reading this book would be to skip part one and start on part 2! Part 1 could have been done in a chapter and if it had then this would be a five star review because I actually LOVED the rest of the book.

I very nearly gave up reading after a number of terrible chapters. Incredibly slow moving and far too much back history. However once the story got going I really did enjoy it. I want to tell you to go out and read it but I remember how dreadful the beginning was.

Okay, a seemingly annoying character falls for an unavailable man who treats her badly. She screws up at work and almost loses her job and things are going pretty badly so she goes on holiday with her family to get her life back on track. See - and that's not even a chapter!In part 2 she suddenly transforms from annoying to loveable! Now you can go and start at part 2 and have a great read!