Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2014
Really big Bill Hicks fan. Loved his comedy and one of the lucky people to have seen him live.
However didn't realise how much I didn't know about him.
Recommend it to any fan
on 30 January 2013
Great book, great comedian. Buy this book now! I think that is all i need to say on the subject.
on 1 June 2006
I was really dissapointed with this book, and I have to say that I found it difficult to motivate myself to read to the end of it. I really don't think I've come across a more rambling account of someone's life. In many places there are duplicated accounts of the same (pretty mundane) events by different friends. The book doesn't seem to have been edited at all and the fact that it's cobbled together seemingly verbatim from friends' conversations really makes it difficult to read. I do have to credit the frankness of the book, and you will definitely see the dark side of Hicks' life in this account. For the large part, this is a directionless book, and I became impatient with some of the sections with half-baked philosophical ideas based on hallucinations and trips the guys had... I don't know how this compares to other biographies of Hicks, but as a book in its own right, this one was a real disappointment. I really would only recommend it to obsessive fans of Hicks.
on 15 December 2014
Most informative book about bill to date.
Extremely factual and hilarious.
on 3 May 2005
Having been a follower and fan of Hicks' work before and after his death, I approached the tome with some trepidation. Much that has been written and said about the man since his departure has been delivered with a sense of romaticism and melodrama. It is ironic (in the proper sense of the word) that even though pretty much all of Hicks' work rallied against fundamentalism, it has in turn bred fundamentalism in some fans of his "jokes". I repeat JOKES. However Kevin's book does not disappoint. It shows more of Bill's human side which may anger many fans but hey guys, if you're looking for a new christ; grow up and look elsewhere. So much of the man's life was devoted to honesty and laughter and said book is a fitting tribute to one of the greatest comics of all time.
on 31 March 2005
This is the Bill Hicks Book everybody has been waiting for. It's a gripping read that delves into the psyche of one of the true genius's of modern day comedy. From a teenager growing up in 1970s USA, through to Bills succsess in the UK, his feelings of alienation and frustratation at modern society are clear and easy to indentify with. Get this book now and find out just where Bills unique style of comedy came from, by those who knew him best.
on 11 February 2015
all round excellence....
on 3 May 2005
If you are a Bill Hicks fan then you must buy this book. To love Bill's work is to be close to him. This book brings you that bit closer to a great man.
Taken from various friends points of view and times shared with Bill. It helps to fill in the gaps left by American Scream. Personal points of view make you see that Bill was human. This book is diffently personal. Kevin Booth has been more than fair in uncovering the ugly truth's and hidden treasure's.
Even if you don't know Bill Hicks it's still a good story. Full of struggle, creation and life.
on 14 March 2010
brilliant, can't say I agree with everything Hicks said or did nowadays but he was very funny and good at being straight to the point. Must Read.

Also check out Understanding Power by Noam Chomsky and The Sane Society by Erich Fromm to understand where Hicks got alot of his political/societal opinion from and hope for a better world!
on 22 June 2005
As a long time Hicks acolyte, I have read many pieces about him over the years, including True's "American Scream" book. But it wasn't until I read Kevin Booth's lovingly crafted and detailed biography that I finally got an honest and complete portrait of one of this generation's most important artistic voices.
"Agent of Evolution" is an amazing testament to the life, art and mission of Bill Hicks's life. Moreover, the book is a profound meditation on true friendship and the impact one person's life can have on those around him, as well as the world.
The innovative way in which the book is constructed -- changing voices, different speakers giving their own subjective accounts on events and perceptions -- made for the most fully realized biography I have ever read. It vividly showed that recounting someone's life, much like life itself, is a very complex and sometimes contradictory thing. That Whitman quote comes to mind: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large, I contain multitudes." Bill Hicks was the very embodiment of this observation, as his friends' heartfelt and personally honest accounts of his life vividly illustrate. The way Booth's book unfolded reminded me of the way Hicks' seminal "Arizona Bay" release weaved Bill and Kevin's music in with Bill's comedy. It makes the biography incredibly interesting, innovative and unique.
The bittersweet honesty, laughter and human drama of this book moved me to tears more than once. I consider it the capstone to the work, on this planet, anyway, of a sorely missed dark poet.