Published on 31 Jan. 2008 by J. Stogiewicz

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.......
I was very disappointed with this book. It's difficult to read, it is not a book you can dip in and out of if you need help with a particular area. There are too many sub sections and it is very difficult to follow (keeps referring back to previous chapters which you then have to re-read to refresh your memory!)
Although I agree with certain methods in attachment...
Published on 23 Feb. 2008 by Charley T.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Behaviour Book: How to Have a Better-Behaved Child from Birth to Age Ten, 31 Jan. 2008
J. Stogiewicz "JS" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Behaviour Book: How to Have a Better-Behaved Child from Birth to Age Ten (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book. Up till now I used to describe my child as difficult and was trying to find quick solutions for problems. But this book helps you understand what goes in the little mind and what the reasons are for his behaviour. That made me look at him not as difficult but as a little being that needs help learning to express himself. I can tell you I haven't even finished the book yet but it already pays off in my son's behaviour. Some ideas like sleeping together are not for me but the general message of understanding and loving really does help with discipline. Highly recommended for every lost parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous nurturing book, 1 May 2006
Dr. N. Wilson (Stroud, Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful help for anyone who is trying to raise their child gently but firmly, in an attachment parenting way. I loved it, it made me reevaluate a whole host of things and also helped me to grieve my own upbringing. Can't recommend it more highly!

4.0 out of 5 stars still reading, 18 April 2014
still reading this but so far so good, it doesn't give you exact tactics but it helps with understanding why behaviour as is. i guess every child is different so they cant say what to do exactly. but nice manual to have

5.0 out of 5 stars especially good for beginners, 29 Jan. 2015
a book that -in my humble opinion- every parent/ caretaker should read. Especially for "beginners" (because a beginners 'cup' is empty).

This book covers almost every stage in a child's growing up - in short. It is written with a few stories / examples from the writers own family, including a special needs kid.
They give their opinion how a parent/ caretaker should react to certain situations, like tantrums, biting, discovering sexuality, sharing (with siblings), etc. etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of practical tips and useful insights, 29 May 2009
Having found Sears' The Baby Book extremely useful in preparing for my first baby, I ordered the Good Behaviour Book hoping for more of his child-centred advice. I haven't put into practice any of the advice (still have 2 months of pregnancy to go!) but certainly what he writes is eye-opening and seems like it will be very useful in how to deal with a child, through their tantrums, their 'defiance' phase etc. He does emphasise how much effort and time parents need to put into parenting especially in the first couple of years of a kid's life so anybody looking for easy fixes won't find them here! Indeed, Sears continues with his promotion of attachment parenting and describes how it has been shown to be a very effective way of bringing about good behaviour. One final point, is that the book is written in a very down-to-earth way: there are no 'holier than thou' passages and Sears readily admits that he made similar mistakes to the ones he describes in bringing up his children with his wife. At this stage (preparing for a baby) I really value the book as a preparation for at least understanding how young children think and behave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sears. The masters... the only baby/child ..., 22 Dec. 2014
Sears. The masters...the only baby/child books to swear by. Yet to read it all but dipping in so far... All makes sense, as usual. Thanks Sears:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Feb. 2015
I have found this book to be very useful, especially the age appropriate advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed......., 23 Feb. 2008
Although I agree with certain methods in attachment parenting (some I don't and that doesn't mean I don't love and understand my child for all you Sears fans out there), I found the book condesending. Parents know how deeply we love our children and that how we discipline them is hugely important, but do we really need the guilt trip?
All in all, sounds great but is it really practical? When you have a screaming toddler under your arm as you carry him out of the supermarket, I think not! Try Christopher Green instead, much better read and offers sound and practical advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Managing adhd behaviours, 24 Oct. 2009
T. Bowden (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book in my local children's centre library and immediately turned to chapter 19 "discipline for special times and special children". My son has adhd, and I have found the advice on dealing with adhd associated behaviours to be invaluable and it has also given me a better understanding of adhd and what difficulties my son faces. I have read many articles on the internet and have other books about adhd, but the advice given in this book is by far the best I have read. For such an indepth book, it is a very good price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars best investment for a family!, 6 July 2011
I can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone who wants to understand and engage with their child to achieve harmony in the home. I find (unlike a previous reviewer) it easy to dip into this book and any such moments are always time well spent. I go from feeling frazzled to feeling empowered to interact more positively during challenging moments with my child.