5.0 out of 5 stars Focusing on the Child
Published on 16 May 2006 by A. Cicolini

3.0 out of 5 stars ------------------
did not need it in the end but was a very good book with a very lot of names in
Published 4 months ago by mrs e i faraday

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Focusing on the Child, 16 May 2006
This review is from: The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two (Paperback)
The battle of the parenting bible is fierce and the territory becomes more heated as new "gurus" enter the fray (witness the Martin's maternity consultant and her new / old 'let them cry' approach). What is so refreshing about the Sears Baby Book is that, for the most part, they allow that you may not want to follow all their advice all of the time - you don't HAVE to have the baby in bed, they simply offer a number of reasons why it might be a good idea. A previous reviewer has suggested that the book is no help for parents who don't have all the time in the world to parent their children; it seems to me that the Sears are under no illusions that most parents have to work to survive and I found that their child-focused approach REDUCED the amount of colicky crying we had to endure, reduced the number of night wakings and has generally helped to make our child the happy and loving person she is today. The Baby Book also provides a series of excellent activities to encourage your child's physical and mental development as well as practical advice on all the ills and ailments the parents of a young child might expect. Invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change from the usual baby books, 17 Nov 2007
I bought this book about 2 weeks before my, now 3 month old, daughter was born. I didn't get round to reading it before she was born and didn't have much time to read after she was born so I wish I'b bought it sooner.

It covers everything you need to know for the first 2 years of your child's life in an easy to use quick reference style. Also there is some information on preparation for birth, details of attachment parenting (which is the style of parenting introduced by the Sears), and lots of detail about breastfeeding which I've found very useful.

It is very biased towards attachment parenting but they make it clear that this approach can be flexible. For example, whilst co-sleeping is recommended by attachment parenting they clearly state that this doesn't suit everyone (in fact I wanted to co-sleep with my daughter but found that neither of us slept very well so I've opted for a bedside cot as they suggest and this works very well).

The Sears have a wealth of experience in childcare and it is clear in this book that they are caring sentitive people who believe mothers should follow their instincts and 'listen' to their babies.

What I think I like best about this book is that it makes me feel confident that what I am doing naturally isn't wrong. For example, I love holding my baby while she is asleep which seems to be forbidden by many experts. I doubt I'll look back and think 'I wish I'd held her less'. I also love breastfeeding her to sleep, rocking her to sleep and reading this book made me realise that nightime parenting can be a joy rather than a chore (I have certainly had many lovely moments holding my daughter in the middle of the night while the house and neighbourhood was still and dark). I don't feel I have to apologise for having my daughter in bed with us (as so many mums I've met do).

The book has a useful breakdown of you child's development from birth to 2 with details of games etc. to enhance development. There is also a chapter on weaning and details of problems you may encounter in toddlers.

Another book which I've found useful which provides a slightly more balanced and objective approach is 'what to expect in the first year' but this book is definitely one that I will keep coming back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its worked great for us, 19 Jan 2008
M. A. Stothard "merv987" (hants UK) - See all my reviews
My daughter is almost 1 now, and we've followed the basic principles of this book. It's not a set of rules or allocation of time in 10 min slots like some baby books, but gives you the confidence to listen to what your baby tells you he/she needs, and explains how to tell. The section on breast feeding is very informative, but easy to read when you don't get a lot of sleep in the early weeks, but its not preachy and there is a section on bottle feeding if that's what you decide.
My daughter is now nearly one, I still breast feed and she sleeps next to me, (from 7 till 6 when the alarm goes off, so I get a full nights sleep). She's a very happy toddler and not at all clingy.
This is a great book, all the information you need, in easy to understand language, and really comes across as common sense. The authors are parents to 8 children so they really have been there themselves, unlike the baby trainers who get paid to look after other peoples babies for a month at a time, but don't have the experience of loving and bonding with children for life.
Definitely worth reading even if you don't want to follow all the suggestions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't present children as a problem, 26 Jan 2012
What I love about this book is that, unlike lots of other baby books, it doesn't treat children as a problem to be solved.
It gives sound advice and at its core is about love, which is what children need.
It also has a terrific index which guides you to helpful and calm guidance in times of illness.
I love this book and have given it to a number of friends.
It should be available on the NHS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby book out there!, 22 Oct 2010
This book has been such a great help to me after giving birth to my first baby last year. The book is filled with great advice on everything from breastfeeding to common baby illnesses. Dr Sears has warm and natural approach to parenting. Being a Paediatrician and a dad to many children himself, he knows what he is talking about. He is also very good at explaining why a baby behaves like it does, for example why a baby wakes up in the night and what a baby's needs are. This makes it easier to understand the baby, in contrast to some routine based books out there. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. A must have for every new parent.

4.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive, 22 Sep 2010
I've read this book when I was pregnant, read it through the early development stages and sitll go through it sometimes when I have a question, especially on toddler's behaviour. I bought it because of the attachment parenting way, but I think it has lots of information even if you don't pratice all of the methods the authors advocate. And the ost useful information on the book is: trust yourself, your instincts and your baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comfort I had whenever I would reach my limits., 17 July 2009
This book was a great reminder of what a rollercoaster the first couple of years can be...when my daughter wouldn't sleep through the night while most babies I came across did, when she would feed at least once a night while others didn't, and when I was exhausted of not reaching these goals within the accepted timeframes, this book consistently managed to reassure me that it was normal....it reminded me to try to see things through her eyes and once I did I would be able to offer her the love and care she needed instead of the frustration following my tiredness...and I did....and eventually she managed to sleep through the night...and not because she got tired of crying all by herself like other books suggest...but because I was patient enough to help her through her journey and I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding your own groove, 9 Nov 2009
A. Smithson (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
When your baby is crying and you've tried everything, this book offers another idea to help you soothe your little one, and some soothing words for mum and dad too. I read a Gina Ford book before I had my baby and even though I have thrown the book away (yes, I binned it) some horrid phrases still haunt me. The Baby Book has been the best way to try to erase the 'get your baby into a routine or else' anxiety that I suffered in the early weeks. This book covers all the key areas of how to care for your little one and is a real encyclopaedia to return to time and again.

The best thing about The Baby Book is that it accepts that babies are individuals and there is not a one-routine-fits-all quick fix solution. Dr Sears and his wife advocate the attachment parenting approach of responding sensitively to your baby and keeping them close. Lots of their advice leans towards this style of parenting, but the main message is get to know your baby and find your own groove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book and fantastic reference, highly recommended!, 7 Sep 2012
My wife and I have found this book informative, fascinating and reassuring throughout the pregnancy of our first child. I daughter was born 1 week ago, and since then we have found the book as our go-to reference guide. It seems to have all the answers in a time of great uncertainty. The tone is caring but clear, it is all 'logical' advice, and how-to instructions from parents that have extensive experience both professionally and with their own family. I like the fact that it has also been localised for the UK (e.g. referring to the NCT etc). I highly recommend this book. The advice and knowledge is priceless and at this price it is a total bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 21 Jun 2012
This is a huge book full of fantastic attachment parenting advice and information. It is a loving parent's handbook one that I continue to flick through now. It is incredibly comprehensive covering everything from developmental stages to co-sleeping, feeding and baby wearing.

A wonderful book that focuses on the child and not about how to lead your old life but how to adapt to be the best possible parent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›