Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 May 2007
I bought this book after an exhausting 4 months of caring for my new baby. I tried a few routines - anything to get a bit of sleep! However my baby adamantly refused to do any of them and happily stayed up all day and woke every 2 hours at night!!!!

As soon as I opened this book - I was reassured that I wasn't doing anything wrong and it explained why babies have difficulty in settling into 'experts' routtines. It gently showed how me to undertand my baby and act on her cues. Also - it focused on breastfeeding and sleep which other books don't. The majority of breastfed babies aren't happy to feed 4 hourly. The authors have 8 of their own children and many years experience as paediatric health care workers.

I think other baby routine books I have read are damaging as is so difficult to get your baby to fit into their constricting regimes and you can feel a failure when day after day of trying to adhere to their guidelines - your baby still won't do it! I have found this book invaluable - and am a much more happy and relaxed mum because of this book. My baby is also sleeping so much better too!!!! A MUST buy for any new parent.
on 7 February 2015
I normally don't write reviews, but felt one was deserved for this book! It was refreshing to read a book that didn't make me feel guilty for parenting to the best of my (and my husband) abilities. After being lulled into a false sense of security of having (initially) a good sleeper, it came as a bit of a shock when due to (?) illness, growth spurt, teething, sleep regression things went a bit haywire at 3.5 months. After reading other books/ websites on what may help, my days were starting to feel stressful in trying to resolve the issues using various different sleep/ nap related issues using various sleep/ nap related techniques. When I stumbled across this book, it was reassuring that the focus is to ' enjoy your baby' including the challenges it can bring! It made me remember what a short period of time they are little for and how important it is not to forget this. It had a focus on breast feeding, which I found useful as other books didn't. It also factored that not all children are the 'first born' in the family, which can result in difficulties when imposing such structured routines. All in the book provided not only helpful advice and strategies but helped reaffirm what is really important in parenting!
on 5 February 2009
This book was great. Before we read it (and Elizabeth Pantley's No cry sleep solution) our baby son was only going to sleep if lying on one of us (and this usually wasn't happening until 9 or 10pm) and then we would find it difficult to lie him down. No, we usually get him off to sleep about 7pm. He lies in his cot while we read 3 or 4 books then he falls asleep.
on 14 May 2012
My third baby was the one who wouldn't sleep,so i invested in a few books,all of which were very helpful.
No-cry sleep solution was first.Pantleys methods didn't work for my baby,but the book was well written and helped me understand baby sleep alot better.
Next was Baby Bliss.the methods didn't work with my baby at all but the author gave me a greater understanding of the importance of routine for bad sleepers,and the introduction of routine,naps,and an early night helped my baby sleep from 7pm til 4am before wanting a night feed.
At 9 months she still continues this routine-wakes between 3 and 4am for a feed,then again 2hrs later.
I was still annoyed as all the babies i knew,including my other 2,were sleeping through by this age.
Then i read this book and realised my babys sleep pattern is ok.She is getting plenty of sleep and although i'm still longing for that uninterrupted nights sleep,I'm doing absolutely everything right in helping her get there,which she will eventually.
The advice in this book is so soothing and washed away all the guilt and confusion i was feeling about my babys sleep.
I was horrified to read about the harmful effects of controlled crying as i tried it out for a few days before this book arrived,thinking that as i'd tried everything else it was my last resort.It really didn't work,only resulting in my baby growing fearful of being put in her cot for a sleep,and was very stressful for everyone in the house,including my older children who were so upset hearing their baby sister so distraught.Since reading this book I never let my baby cry more than a few mins now to see if she'll self-settle.
This book is a must-buy for the nurturing parent.
on 23 February 2010
When my baby was 4-7 months I was going bananas! He was waking up every 1-2 hours...This book helped us get a better sleep - I love Dr.Sears' approach, my son is now an excellent sleeper and such a confident toddler!
on 18 May 2016
I really don't understand how anyone could describe this book as 'horrid'. I ignored that review as I love Dr Sears books and attachment parenting. This book shows you gentle and natural ways to help your child to sleep and completely condones cry-it-out and other sleep training methods which have been proven to cause harm.

If you don't want to leave your baby to cry, make them sleep alone or get into a strict regime then this is the book for you. If that is what you're looking for then this book might still be worth you buying as it may just persuade you there is a better way.
on 7 August 2011
I had a child who would NOT sleep and was at the end of my tether. After one really bad day (yes even the days were horrendous) I took action and bought this on a spur of a moment and got it fast tracked to my house. I read the first couple of pages and did two things which instantly helped that night. I'm not at all saying that this solved all my problems in some miracle like making an appirition of Jo Frost appear and live with us for free for several months; they just had some simple ideas to first make it better to bare and then, when you've had a good three hours consecutive sleep, you're in a position to tackle some more of the root problems. It really was quite good. Very American but surprisingly good! And for those of you who, like I was, are sat there in tears reading reviews in the hope of anything, just anything helping at all - it does get better. They can't not sleep forever. Hang in there!
on 30 June 2014
Really well written and extremely helpful. Lots of encouragement and gentle advice without being preachy or aggressive. A reassurance that what feels naturally like the right thing to do might just be the best thing to do! One of the few baby books I've read properly
on 9 June 2009
I was at my wits end trying to solve sleep problems with my son and bought almost every book amazon had. This is slightly different from other books as it doesn't really suggest a technique, it really seems to say just do what you have to. To the extent one case study liked the fact that he still has to stay on the floor while his sons (5 & 7) went to sleep and he used the time to catch up on reading books with a miners light. Not what I wanted to hear at all. It was good a making you feel less guilty for singing/rocking your baby to sleep but no tangiable suggestions for helping your child to sleep on their own in their room.
on 17 September 2015
If you are sceptical about controlled crying, and want a gentler approach to trying to get your baby to sleep, this is the book for you! I found it incredibly reassuring, with lots of things to try out.