I bought this book after an exhausting 4 months of caring for my new baby. I tried a few routines - anything to get a bit of sleep! However my baby adamantly refused to do any of them and happily stayed up all day and woke every 2 hours at night!!!!

Published on 7 May 2007 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars When you're desperate for sleep you'll try anything!
Published on 9 Jun 2009 by Rorys Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars The Baby Sleep Book: How to Help Your Baby to Sleep and Have a Restful Night, 7 May 2007
This review is from: The Baby Sleep Book: How to Help Your Baby to Sleep and Have a Restful Night (Paperback)

As soon as I opened this book - I was reassured that I wasn't doing anything wrong and it explained why babies have difficulty in settling into 'experts' routtines. It gently showed how me to undertand my baby and act on her cues. Also - it focused on breastfeeding and sleep which other books don't. The majority of breastfed babies aren't happy to feed 4 hourly. The authors have 8 of their own children and many years experience as paediatric health care workers.

I think other baby routine books I have read are damaging as is so difficult to get your baby to fit into their constricting regimes and you can feel a failure when day after day of trying to adhere to their guidelines - your baby still won't do it! I have found this book invaluable - and am a much more happy and relaxed mum because of this book. My baby is also sleeping so much better too!!!! A MUST buy for any new parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 5 Feb 2009
Ms. Roisin O. Farrington (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book was great. Before we read it (and Elizabeth Pantley's No cry sleep solution) our baby son was only going to sleep if lying on one of us (and this usually wasn't happening until 9 or 10pm) and then we would find it difficult to lie him down. No, we usually get him off to sleep about 7pm. He lies in his cot while we read 3 or 4 books then he falls asleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 14 May 2012
My third baby was the one who wouldn't sleep,so i invested in a few books,all of which were very helpful.
No-cry sleep solution was first.Pantleys methods didn't work for my baby,but the book was well written and helped me understand baby sleep alot better.
Next was Baby Bliss.the methods didn't work with my baby at all but the author gave me a greater understanding of the importance of routine for bad sleepers,and the introduction of routine,naps,and an early night helped my baby sleep from 7pm til 4am before wanting a night feed.
At 9 months she still continues this routine-wakes between 3 and 4am for a feed,then again 2hrs later.
I was still annoyed as all the babies i knew,including my other 2,were sleeping through by this age.
Then i read this book and realised my babys sleep pattern is ok.She is getting plenty of sleep and although i'm still longing for that uninterrupted nights sleep,I'm doing absolutely everything right in helping her get there,which she will eventually.
The advice in this book is so soothing and washed away all the guilt and confusion i was feeling about my babys sleep.
I was horrified to read about the harmful effects of controlled crying as i tried it out for a few days before this book arrived,thinking that as i'd tried everything else it was my last resort.It really didn't work,only resulting in my baby growing fearful of being put in her cot for a sleep,and was very stressful for everyone in the house,including my older children who were so upset hearing their baby sister so distraught.Since reading this book I never let my baby cry more than a few mins now to see if she'll self-settle.
This book is a must-buy for the nurturing parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars reassuring!, 23 Feb 2010
When my baby was 4-7 months I was going bananas! He was waking up every 1-2 hours...This book helped us get a better sleep - I love Dr.Sears' approach, my son is now an excellent sleeper and such a confident toddler!

4.0 out of 5 stars good so far, 18 April 2014
well i guess its too soon to tell, i only got this, and dd is 18 months with sleep probs, but maybe will help for the next one. helps with understanding the whys!

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved my sanity, 7 Aug 2011
I had a child who would NOT sleep and was at the end of my tether. After one really bad day (yes even the days were horrendous) I took action and bought this on a spur of a moment and got it fast tracked to my house. I read the first couple of pages and did two things which instantly helped that night. I'm not at all saying that this solved all my problems in some miracle like making an appirition of Jo Frost appear and live with us for free for several months; they just had some simple ideas to first make it better to bare and then, when you've had a good three hours consecutive sleep, you're in a position to tackle some more of the root problems. It really was quite good. Very American but surprisingly good! And for those of you who, like I was, are sat there in tears reading reviews in the hope of anything, just anything helping at all - it does get better. They can't not sleep forever. Hang in there!

2.0 out of 5 stars When you're desperate for sleep you'll try anything!, 9 Jun 2009
I was at my wits end trying to solve sleep problems with my son and bought almost every book amazon had. This is slightly different from other books as it doesn't really suggest a technique, it really seems to say just do what you have to. To the extent one case study liked the fact that he still has to stay on the floor while his sons (5 & 7) went to sleep and he used the time to catch up on reading books with a miners light. Not what I wanted to hear at all. It was good a making you feel less guilty for singing/rocking your baby to sleep but no tangiable suggestions for helping your child to sleep on their own in their room.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reassuring read, 30 Jun 2014
Really well written and extremely helpful. Lots of encouragement and gentle advice without being preachy or aggressive. A reassurance that what feels naturally like the right thing to do might just be the best thing to do! One of the few baby books I've read properly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 20 Jun 2009
J. L. Edwards (England) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this book to any parent even those who are not having 'sleep issues'. It discusses the importance of keeping our babies close to us at night both to protect against SIDS but also reminds us of the fact that we are parents 24 hours a day. There are plenty of gentle and respectful suggestions for ways of getting your baby to sleep more and does not advocate any of the 'cry it out' methods which unfortunatley seem to be in fashion again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy, 6 Sep 2011
This book is absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend it too highly. Have I got my daughter to sleep through the night yet? No, but the book makes you feel so much better about it! And to be fair, I haven't put most of the many, many suggestions into practice to make it happen, so it's not the book's fault.

The dangers of the crying it out method are gone into in full, and fully referenced to the latest research which shows exactly why letting your child cry permanently damages them. This book is all about listening to your baby, working with them as individuals and tailoring a plan to make it work for you all. There's also a really helpful Dads section as well.

The Baby Sleep Book: How to Help Your Baby to Sleep and Have a Restful Night