Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2009
I have read everything written by Barbara Taylor Bradford but if this is the standard of her future books, then I have just signed off.In fact I found it hard to believe that she had written this book at all.Nothing happened in it , it was boring. But what really drove me mad was the continuous parallels to the Tudors, where did that come from?I have never read a book which was so contrived and farcical to the extreme. It was as though she had become tired with the characters and writing in general and to publish this book was an insult to the loyal readership who spent their hard earned cash on it. Don't waste your cash on it!
on 18 October 2008
I have loved all Barbara Taylor Bradford's book and have been impatient to read each new one. Being Elizabeth was a great disappointment. This last book in the Ravenscar trilogy (the full story synopsis can be found in product information) felt to me as if the author had rather given up, did not have her heart in the story and had only written the book because she was under contract to complete three books in the series.
Dull and uninteresting characters in the main and I found the use of slightly changed names from the real history of Queen Elizabeth I very contrived.
I really hope Barbara Taylor Bradford will do better with her next book or else she will lose her place among my favorite authors.
on 3 April 2009
I have read a lot of Barbara Taylor-Bradford and particularly enjoyed the Harte series. The first Ravenscar book was promising, but they have gone down rapidly since. The story was very weak and disjointed, and the parallel with the Tudor dynasty made the storyline very predictable and contrived. Not one of her best offerings, very disappointed.
on 3 August 2009
Being Elizabeth

The writing was repetitious, the story boring and the writer treated the readers like they were stupid and unable to retain the simplest facts (Though why you would want to remember that there were 22 diamond tiaras, I don't know.) When I start a book, I finish it, but this was a real struggle. Several times I put it down, but the habits of a lifetime brought me back to finish what I started. What a waste of my time.
on 1 February 2009
Barbara Taylor Bradford's Being Elizabeth is typical of her work.A very descriptive interesting story but very similar to her earlier works.
on 20 August 2009
Appallingly written, dreadful story. Annoying being treated as though you are stupid and everything being repeated ad nauseam. I have read all her books and each subsequent one is even more poorly written than the last. I shall need a lot of persuading if I am to read another of her books.
on 2 December 2008
I don't know what has happened to Barbara's writing. After 70 pages I was not engaging with any character let alone Elizabeth. Really boring. I gave up on it all together, lifes too short!!
on 15 September 2010
Sadly, I have to agree with the majority of reviewers. Being Elizabeth is so disappointing - contrived, predictable, easy to put down and forget about. It does feel (as someone else commented) that BTB just needed to meet the contract for the trilogy but didn't particularly want to engage either with the previous storyline or the reader. My first BTB read in the 80s, A Woman of Substance, was a joy as were some other early works, but latterly her books feel less and less engaging and more re-hashed earlier ideas. Even the more recent books in the Harte story were less enjoyable and I hope she doesn't diminish the originals still further by adding further volumes. From relishing a new BTB book, I have gone to probably not bothering with any more.
on 25 June 2013
Taking the life of Elizabeth I and relating it to the 20th and 21st Centuries without even bothering to change the names was lazy and just did not work. The first book got off to a promising start but too many characters were discarded and what it all amounted to was a boring story about people meeting men and having babies. Leaps in time created huge gaps that were not unsatisfactory filled so that you were often left wondering what happened? This last book was a struggle to get through.
on 23 August 2011
One of the worst books I have ever read and absolutely the worst of Bradford's books. The genealogy in this book was very repetitious and boring! I kept expecting something to happen, but it never did. The book had no ending--it just stopped. We were built up to a good ending with Robert telling her "he would love her forever--and he did." Nothing more. That's it??? If this is the best Bradford can do, I will never read another of her books.