4.0 out of 5 stars Careful who you give this to!!
Published on 5 Jun. 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial and weak
Lord Loss -Demonata by Darren Shan
Book One
The plot is good but is very superficial
but my 11 year-old son enjoyed it.
The skills of the story-writer are not very polished.
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by N. H. Amid Selamat

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful who you give this to!!, 5 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss (Hardcover)
I am a fifteen year old girl who loves horror and everything in the genre.I've in fact read ALL of the vampire series by the same author so was expecting the same sort of style of writing and was quite surprised when reading this how GORY it was. If you've read the other books of Darren Shan you won't be surprised to know this book is still based around a boy and the creepy events in his life but this story is so different it can't really be compared! Another thing I founf was how some characters are very creepy even from small descriptions.Some scenes,well actually ONE in particular is NOT suitable for those who get scared easily,so this book is not recommended for children's bedtime reading unless nightmares are your thing! I really can't talk about the storyline itself as everything that could be said could spoil the story though it is a VERY good book and I'm very annoyed I finished it so soon as now I have to wait for the others in this set to be published!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book he's ever written, 12 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss (Hardcover)
Like I said, best book he's ever written, if you've read The Darren Shan Saga, you'll know how good he is. He puts a lot of suspense into his books, really scary and at the start you have no idea what it's about and you think, "What the heck are the chess pieces on the front for!" A bit violent at the start, but that's Darren Shan for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory but Good, 24 July 2013
As you will have noticed on my blog I have just read the Darren Shan Saga and loved it, I got obsessed with it and couldn't put it down. So naturally I requested this series to read when I had finished.
I'd actually intended to take a break before starting this series, I have a book I have to read for a group at work for this Friday (2 days away) so I was going to read that today, but I was drawn to this instead. Let's just hope I can catch up tomorrow.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this series really, I'd heard it was a lot darker than the Shan series and I'm quite wimpy when it comes to horror so I really didn't know if I would like it.
This book is quite gory and is very dark, it isn't like anything I would normally pick up but I did find myself hooked and it flows well and is so easy to read that I had finished it within 2 hours. It passed in a blur, and left me wanting more.
For a 'seriously scary book' I didn't actually find the demons themselves that scary, description/appearance wise it didn't bother me that much, they just seemed to be a type of deformed monster, the bits I didn't like the most were the gory bits. That's what disturbed me the most, the death of Grubb's family was really disgusting and conjured some horrible images. That was what makes it 'horror', the demons themselves didn't seem that bad.
I didn't like Grubbs as a character at first, it took a lot of time for me to get to like him and feel really interested in him, but the plot was so well constructed I had to read on anyway.
A good start to a series, and one I will definitely keep reading, just be warned it's not for the squeamish!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lord Loss ( The Chess Game ), 12 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss (Hardcover)
I started reading Lord Loss after finishing the saga of Darren Shan and I can tell you that they are totally different stories. This new adventure hits you in the very first chapter, when you get to encouter Grubs, the main character and his family, who are chess fanatics. The action begins with a demonic massacre. Luckily Grubs survives and moves in with his uncle to start a new life. A life of magic and demons. In my opinion this is a fantastic book about the supernatural. If you liked Darren Shan's Saga you will love Lord Loss but I warn you, this book will scare the hell out of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Loss, 31 July 2005
Calum Fairweather "ccalumf" (Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss (Hardcover)
After reading the first 12 books by Darren Shan, I knew there'd be more, and so there was, Lord Loss, Book 1 of The Demonata, it's really scary, and Darren Shan is showing his best.
Lord Loss is a Demon Master, and Grubbs Grady encounters him whilst his parents and sister are dead, also one more thing, the Gradys are chess fanatics, Grubbs isn't better at chess than his relatives though but when he plays Lord Loss, it becomes a different matter.
In this book there are loads of scary and nail-biting bits and is the best book that Darren Shan has ever written in my personal opinion, can't wait for the sequel, Demon Thief, coming out soon.
If you were a fan of the first 12 books, you'll will definetly enjoy this, and ofcoure it will leave gasping for breath, and emotionally spent under this total inimitable brand of horror and chaos.
~ Calum Fairweather (Darren Shan fan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Loss- Darren Shan, 9 Mar. 2006
Fantastic. There i am, annoyed at the end of the saga of darren shan( top set of books!!!) and what does Mr. Shan hit me with? A gory, fast paced, scary, unusual but fantastic story. If you haven't read i strongly suggest tha you do!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome, but great fun, 14 April 2014
I actually really enjoyed reading this novel - far more than I was expecting.

Although gratuitously violent in places, the plot was compelling and contained some twists that actually did take me by surprise. The first person narrative and clipped sentences helped to make the novel fast-paced and exciting, nicely reflecting its dark subject matter.

Without spoiling anything, I felt that the mechanics of the climax were utterly enthralling. Even though I was in no read doubt about how the novel would end, I was still curious to see exactly how the events would pan out.

If I had to pick out a fault, I did think that the relationship between Grubbs and his family could have been fleshed out a little better. In the few chapters that they appeared, I did not learn enough about them to make me really feel sad to see them go. However, I did not feel that this especially detract from the novel. The book was highly enjoyable and a must read for any horror fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Loss, 25 July 2005
This review is from: The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss (Hardcover)
Wow what a change from all that vampire action.This book is a must have and must read for all old and new Shan fans.The book tells the story of a familys involment with a prety nasty demon and how a boy finds out a lot more about his family than they let on.Im not going to tell you what happens as i found the best way to read this book is not knowing.But i will say you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby, 27 April 2013
I love this book !I was born to read. you have to read it. i love werewolves,vampires and anything else.this is perfect for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it as a kid, 18 April 2013
Loved it when I first read it as a kid and decided to 're-read at 18 still love it, scary!

The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss
The Demonata (1) - Lord Loss by Darren Shan (Hardcover - 6 Jun. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01