5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent veggie cooking for busy people.
Published on 27 Jan 2006 by Lucy Lavande

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed
I bought this at the same time as Rosie Elliots Bean Book which is great and I have owned her Pasta book for some years which is fab for great veggie dishes. I was a bit disapppinted in this book as it feels more dated than it is - maybe the photos don't help? I might have been more enthusiastic if I hadn't got the bean book at the same time. On the plus, the recipes are...
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by cathscat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent veggie cooking for busy people., 27 Jan 2006
Lucy Lavande - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
This book is wonderful. I've been vegetarian for 23 years, since I was a child, but I've always lived on meat free convenience food. I thought it was time I got healthy, so I bought this book. It does as it promises to do, offering recipes which are quick to prepare. It's divided into sections; bread, dairy, pasta, pulses, fruit and veg. There's lots of inventive ways to serve rice and some fabulous soups as well, and the pasta sauces will make you swear never to touch shop bought sauce again! I recommend this book to anyone wanting a collection of tasty, healthy veggie recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brill and doesn't break its promise of quick meals!, 23 Oct 2006
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
This is a brilliant cookbook, and I use it very, very frequently. The meals in here are really delicious and Ms Elliot combines ingredients in ways that I never imagined were possible, or simply too frightened to try. Some of my favourites are tomato and avocado pasta; couscous, tomato and mint pita breads; and the green bean, avocado and cashew nut salad. Making the tomato and avocado pasta was actually the first time I had bought and eaten an avocado (I'm NOT joking!) - and now I eat at least 2 per week after realising how versatile they are.

Rose Elliot has also introduced me to halloumi for which I am eternally grateful - her combination of it with coriander and tomato salsa and courgette made me wish I had discovered it far sooner. This is my favourite dish ever! I also never tasted goat's cheese before I tried the butternut squash and goat's cheese gratin from the book, and what a godsend - rarely have I tried anything so tasty yet also quick and easy to prepare.

But the food is not just tasty - as promised on the cover, it is quick to make and most of it will be made and consummed greedily in about 30 minutes. Needless to say, this is the only book I use on weekday cooking. Vegetarian Meals in Minutes is the easiest and quickest way to wipe out the bore from your traditional "pasta with stir in tomato sauce" veggie meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best vegetarian book in the world, 9 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This book is Rose elliots best yet. The meals are quick and easy to do and they taste fantastic. The variety in the book is really good, there is something for everyone. Also once you have your cupboard well stocked with essentials the meals don't cost a fortune either. I would definately recommend this book to anyone vegetarian or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars home cooking in a flash, 30 Jan 2003
By A Customer
At last, a cookbook that is down to earth and which contains everyday recipes that can be knocked up in hardly any time by your average person off the street. I would seriously buy this book to give to my children as a gift when they first leave home. There is also a very brief section in the front which explains about what ingredients are worth stocking up on and how to store them. Rose Elliot has done a very good job in this book. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys vegetarian food and isn't looking for a cor-don-blurr meal every dinner time.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'This super vegetarian book has over 200 recipes, all of which can be made in under half an hour..', 15 Oct 2007
'Rose has combined ingenuity with speed to create mouth-watering original meals in no time, to enable you to rustle up anything from a quick solo snack, to a speedy lunch with a friend, to a last-minute impromptu supper.....'

144 high quality shiny pages, split over main chapters:

1. Bread
2. Eggs, Cheese and Dairy Foods
3. Pasta
4. Pulses, Grains and Nuts
5. Vegetables
6. Fruit

with 'Store-cupboard/equipment' notes, and a full index.
Interspersed with colour photography - a little on the sparse side - perhaps; along with some charming colour illustrations.

Each chapter opens with relevant opening text, followed by the recipes, which are clearly laid out, commencing with the title, some relevant opening text, the list of ingredients & the clear method, along with variations and cook's tips, if applicable.

Some of the recipes contained within:

* Buttery Scrambled Eggs on Toast
* Buttered Apples
* Banana Fritters with Lime

4.0 out of 5 stars This does exactly what it says on the tin., 17 May 2008
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
Whilst probably not the healthiest cook book in the world (almost as bad as Nigela for the cream!) the receipes are simple, quick and tasty and also with a bit of imagination very adaptable. The chilli has become a regular meal in my house, sometimes with rice as suggested and other times with sour cream, avocado and extra chili in wraps and even as a base for a veggie burger!

I'm a veggie but my husband isn't and it is sometimes difficult to find meals which appeal to him and that I can eat but most of the receipes in this book suit us both and don't get the normal "yeah but it's just vegetables ain't it" response from him!

Four stars because some of the recepis are very similar and others are a bit too easy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals in Minutes, 12 July 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
`Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals in Minutes' is a good entry level vegetarian cookbook. It offers up plenty of good, simple meals which can be rustled up in about half an hour. The chapters cover the various ingredients like Bread, Eggs, Cheese and Dairy foods, Pasta, Pulses, Grains and Nuts, Vegetables and Fruit. This ensures that new vegetarians learn to use all the ingredients available to make sure they get a balanced diet, something that can be hard to achieve at first. This has some excellent photography that makes you want to cook the meals on offer, as well as having some attractive illustrations to enhance the overall package. The recipes I've tried have been delicious and lend themselves well to be adapted if you have specific dietary requirements (wheat free etc) and are quick to prepare and make. The recipes are also easy to follow which is important in a recipe book after all! For those looking for their first vegetarian cookbook I'd recommend this one whole heartedly, but for those with some experience and who are looking to increase their cooking repertoire then this may be a touch too basic for you. A good recipe book never the less.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, quick vegetarian food - but not quite as the cover suggests, 28 Feb 2009
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
I knew this was a cult vegetarian cookbook when my mother kept trying to give me copies, over and over again - I think I have about three now.

The first thing I noticed about the book, though, was a strange sense of familiarity. Beware! You may already have this cookbook, under the original title (Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Fast Food) that it was first published with in 1994, so don't be fooled by the new title into buying the same book twice.

This is great collection of quick and easy vegetarian recipes. The cover advertises 'over 200 delicious dishes in a flash' and that's exactly what you get. It offers simple recipes that are great as you don't have to go out and buy lots of extra ingredients, but also adaptable if you want to tweak them a bit. One of my favourites is the halloumi with spiced leeks - ok, I did have to go out and buy the halloumi but it was worth it. This is a good example, though, because the spiced leeks also work well on their own.

Gripes? Well, although the book boasts a well-designed and modern-looking cover, this gives a slightly misleading impression of the contents - the photographs throughout the book are clearly quite dated. When you flick to the contents page, the images have that warm-toned, fussily arranged 'still life with heaps of garnish' look that was in vogue in the 1990s.

I want to go back to the good points of this book, though, because there are many. It's a very comprehensive book, with lots of different types of food. The recipes I've made from it have all turned out well. And most of them are very healthy, avoiding the usual vegetarian recipe book penchant for lashings of butter, cream and cheese (although there's some of that in case you feel the urge...)

Overall, a real classic of vegetarian cooking and one which I'm sure any cook would find useful. Not always the most thrilling of books, but definitely an invaluable and very practical addition to any vegetarian kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian fast food, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
Just what I was looking for: healthy recipe ideas for packed lunches and light evening meals that don't require too many fancy ingredients or time to put together (the pitta pocket fillers are handy).
I'm not really a dessert person, but the quick, tasty recipes have made me realise I don't have to be baking pastry and doing fiddly toppings for hours.
If you love spending time in the kitchen this book is NOT for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 29 Jun 2006
Daniel Nolan (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes (Paperback)
I'm not a vegetarian, but this book sorely tempts me to convert, I didn't realise there was such variety in this cuisine. The pictures are mouthwatering and the recipes are well written, I especially like the little margin comments that point out what could accompany a dish. Great book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals In Minutes by Rose Elliot (Paperback - 3 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01