4.0 out of 5 stars Good things come to those who wait!!!
As a big fan of Philippa Gregory, having read all of her Tutor novels and for the most part finding them reasonably fun, historical romps I was looking forward to her latest offering of "The Other Queen". While this novel never really reaches the same heights as some of her other books such as the much acclaimed: "The Other Boleyn Girl", it is also true to say that this...
Published on 15 Jun 2009 by A. Lalor

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment!
I was crestfallen by the latest produce of Phillipa Gregory my favourite author. Having waited with baited breath for the new publication and even managing to obtain a signed copy, I did give it my best shot. Never having not completed one of her novels, in fact usually galloping through them, I have to admit to not getting past the first half of the book. The narrative...
Published on 13 Aug 2009 by Julie Ellis-gowland

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tale!, 23 Nov 2008
The OTHER Boleyn Girl "Kim" (Hillsbough, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
This book will capture you, transport you and hold you in the Elizabethan world, just as much as any of Philippa Gregory's other books took you into the past.
The author's research is as evident as ever, and this story of Mary, Queen of Scots is one that is NOT familiar to us, after all, history is only ever written by the victors, the tale is weaved together with that of her 'jailor' , Bess of Hardwick, the 'First Lady' of Chatsworth. This in itself I found fascinating, a woman who had risen from nothing, very modern in outlook, in terms of rising through the class ranks, she was a queen in her own right - of her great house - her own little kingdom, she found herself in the impossible position of being asked by her Queen, Elizabeth, to play 'host' to Mary, something she cannot refuse, but something which costs her physically, fiancially, and emotionally. And Bess can do nothing but watch as her husband George is bewitched by the young queen. Mary is at the centre of plots, not just to restore her as Queen of Scotland, but to place her on the throne of England, she believes she is untouchable and we see her drag everyone around her into her dangerous world.
The story of Mary has been told before but not like this, read this book, you will not be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, boring in others!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: The Other Queen (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as the other books in the Tudor court series, still a decent read though especially if you persevere with the middle section.

5.0 out of 5 stars the other queen, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
great! would recommend this to readers of historical novels. every read Jean Plaidy, this is like her books, exciting and want to keep reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Queen, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
The Other Queen - another excellent book by Phillipa Gregory. I always enjoy her books and am trying to read them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary queen of scots the other queen fabulous read, 9 April 2013
This review is from: The Other Queen (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous book. Really fascinating to find out about Mary queen of scots. Highly recommended if you are a history lover or just want a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Queen, 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Other Queen (Kindle Edition)
I have read many books by Philippa Gregory and have enjoyed them all so I look forward to reading this one too.

3.0 out of 5 stars looked forward to this but was dissappointed, 18 May 2010
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
i have read all of Philippa's other books and loved the attention to detail in all of her previous titles, this is no exception in that it is very atmospheric and historically accurate. unfortunately the lack of any pace really made this ultimately a difficult book for me to finish. i have re-read all of her other titles and keep them on my shelves but having taken this on holiday to read it i left it behind. very disappointed all in all as her other titles were fast-paced and exciting whereas although i felt some sypathy with the characters, the lack of movement really made it put downable. not the sort of review i was expecting to write having been a huge fan for many years- lets hope the next one is a return to form!

4.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 19 Mar 2010
Ms. R. Mackay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
When I started this book, I was slightly put off by the fact that it's written in the present tense, but I soon got used to it and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. There has been so much negative stuff written about Elizabeth Woodville that this account was a breath of fresh air. The characters were well drawn, easy to empathise with and the turbulence of the plot kept me turning the pages. I thought the book was really well researched, and as I studied Richard III during my degree, the conclusions she draws about the princes in tower was thoughtful, new and plausible. I'll certainly be reading the sequel, and I would advise anyone with an interest in this period, or indeed any good historical drama to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tudor novel, 25 Nov 2008
Synopsis:
[QUOTE]A dramatic novel of passion, politics and betrayal from the author of The Other Boleyn Girl, in which Mary, Queen of Scots, fights to regain her kingdom whilst under the guard of Queen Elizabeth's trusted accomplice, Bess of Hardwick Mary is Queen of Scotland but she has been forced to flee her land and take refuge in an England that is ruled by her cousin Elizabeth. But England, precarious in its Protestant state, set against the mighty powers of Spain, France and Rome, doesn't need a charismatic Catholic figurehead at large. So Elizabeth's chief advisor, Cecil, devises a plan in which Mary will live under guard with his trusted accomplice: Bess of Hardwick. Bess is a self-made woman, a shrewd survivor. She is newly married to her fourth and most distinguished husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury. But what marriage can withstand the charms of Mary? Or the threat of rebellion that she always carries? Mary must wait in her privileged imprisonment for the return to Scotland and her infant son; but waiting is not the same as doing nothing!With her characteristic combination of superb storytelling and authentic historical background, Philippa Gregory brings to life this period of great change in her final novel in the Tudor series.[/QUOTE]

I loved this book. I listened to it as an audiobook, and found as many chances as possible to lose myself in Tudor England.

I loved the characters. There was a usual mix of those I adored and admired, and those I disliked, but also admired. My favourite character was Queen Mary. Her pride and determination were admirable and she made me laugh with many of her antics. I also loved Anthony the little page boy, who at 8 acted like a man, I thought he was adorable.

The story was oozing with history and adventure. There was love, disputes between religions and the issue of family. Wealth played an important part in the story just as it would have done then; the more you had, the higher rank in society you held. And all the women grasped that and fought for that.

I don't think I have anything bad to say about this book. I was gripped from the start and was not let down, even though as a historical novel the ending is known. However, it saddened me as I had grown to love Mary and Shrewsbury.

This was a really good book.
10/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
I found the book very bitty and sadly lacking in momentum.The chapters were often only a couple of pages long and tended to be very repetitive - I struggled to find any enthusiasm to continue reading it. A great disappointment for a PG!

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

The Other Queen
The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory (Paperback - 2 April 2009)
5.59