5.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy Old Men is suitable for anyone whether old or a man!
This book is hilarious from start to finish. It includes several laugh out loud moments but ultimately the one thing the book causes you to do is nod your head, as you start agreeing with everything he says. I am only eighteen (a grumpy young man?) but I can still identify with what is said.
If you want a good laugh, get this book!
Published on 20 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it weren't but it is FUNNY
This book made me laugh out loud, and I am neither grumpy nor a man (nor that old). A friend of mine described it as "rants about everything" and that's exactly what it is. Of course, you could read it all in one sitting, but I find it's best dipped into. And
it's value for money, too - especially as it is hardcover.
If you find life gets to you from time to...
Published on 25 Aug 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it weren't but it is FUNNY, 25 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Grumpy Old Men: A Manual for the British Malcontent (Hardcover)
it's value for money, too - especially as it is hardcover.
If you find life gets to you from time to time and you'd like to laugh at your own misery - or just want to nod in agreement at the frustrations of existence, from speedbumps to clowns (this is nothing if not a wide-ranging collection), then this book is
for you. I wish it weren't as funny as it is because I can't stay miserable when I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy Old Men is suitable for anyone whether old or a man!, 20 July 2004
By A Customer
If you want a good laugh, get this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy Old Man say... What a waste, 16 Aug 2004
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Hot on the heels of last year's highly acclaimed BBC television series comes this book. It is in fact quite independent of the series, being written by someone else, but it does cover much the same ground, with swipes being taken at all the usual targets of frustration, from airport catering, through all things French and Ikea, to wasps.
The only slightly surprising assertion in the book is that the main qualification as a GOM is to be aged between 35 and 54, which means that I shall shortly be past it - there, and I thought I had years to go before I earned my Victor Meldrew stripes.
In truth, although the book's cover and publicity suggests that it is a handy guide and exercise in stress relief for men in that age range, it is perhaps more relevant as required reading for anyone younger than 35, so that they can be made aware of just how miserable life can be, if they let it. For anyone older, well, we've heard it all before, and although it is quite sharp and funny to begin with, it soon becomes predictable, repetitive, and boring. Considering it only runs to 143 A5 sized pages and can be read within a couple of hours, this is no mean feat. This grumpy old man felt he'd wasted his cash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, thanks., 19 Dec 2007
MaxC (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grumpy Old Men (Paperback)
Anyone buying this book on the strength of seeing the excellent television series will be disappointed. The TV programme was witty and acerbic. This book is not.
This book reads like a stand-up routine at an open mike comedy club. It's just a list of cheap rants thrown in for cheap laughs. It's juvenile, and it gets annoying. I threw the book away. You'll hear better in your local pub.

5.0 out of 5 stars If this doesn't make you laugh......you must be dead!, 22 Dec 2005
By A Customer
They say laughter increases your life span. Read this and you'll live to be 200. It's a lovely selection of "grumps" about the things we all find exasperating -- people who share their drivel with us all on mobile phones in buses; fatty couch-potatoes who wear expensive Nike running shoes; shop assistants whose motto must be "they also serve who only stand and wait" .....you name it, Quantick has something hilarious (and true) to say about it. Buy it as a gift. Buy it for yourself. But buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like rants, you'll like this, 27 Jun 2008
Jammm - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It's nothing special, but it is very funny. If you didn't like the TV series or the general stlye of humourous rants, you probably wouldn't be considering this book in the first place. But if you do like your male, bitter, Jack Dee type of rants about being British, you will definitely enjoy this book. Consistent throughout, it makes witty observations and complaints about pretty much everything, and crucially it doesn't get sucked into the trap of ranting for the sake of ranting. It's funny and well-written, so I absolutely reccommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny but very short, 30 Nov 2004
P. J. Bragg (Bristol and Spain) - See all my reviews
If it had taken me longer than an evening to read this book it would probably have got 5 stars. Although a lot of the targets of the book are obvious there is a refreshing stand-up type of humour in the writing which had me giggling away to myself on numerous occasions.
The book is padded out to some extent by photographs and large typeface which makes it look a longer read than it is but it is a book I have found myself coming back to for a rescan every now and again so I guess I will get my money's worth in the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy Old Men New Year, Same old crap, 21 Jan 2008
Mr. Peter Davey "Grumpy" (Bognor Regis) - See all my reviews
This book does exactly what it says on the label - SAME OLD CRAP! - This is the worst load of Crap that it has ever been my misfortune to be given.

It has no structure and is just the author attemping to be witty but acheiving a vitriolic boring mess.

I do not believe it! how can anyone publish/sell this dross and even worse what prompted my wife to buy it for me

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable, 5 Feb 2013
It was to be a gift but on receipt I found it unsuitable for the person I wanted it for. Not impressed by the content. However I will keep
Excellent service though

5.0 out of 5 stars For the old grumpys among us, 15 Dec 2012
Bought for husband as part of his Chrismas box. We generally enjoyed the programs which started with Grumpy Old.............. so as he is also grumpy most of the time I felt it would be an ideal gift!

Grumpy Old Men: A Manual for the British Malcontent
Grumpy Old Men: A Manual for the British Malcontent by David Quantick (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01