4.0 out of 5 stars Well I thought it was great!
I've seen some bad reviews for this book and I really can't understand why?! I'm not very well read on chick-lit so maybe those that are will see whats coming from the end of the first page but i was completely hooked! And i love all things New York which just happens to be the setting.
Published on 4 Feb 2008 by A. Townsend

1.0 out of 5 stars Nobody worth knowing
"Going out is part of your job now, just remember that!" squeals one of the characters in Lauren Weisberger's second novel, "Everyone Worth Knowing." As with her much-hyped first novel, this is a boo-hoo-poor-li'l-me slice of chick-lit, bemoaning how very tough it is to be live the exalted life. Oh, stop whining.

Bette Robinson quits her tedious job...
Published on 16 Jan 2006 by E. A Solinas

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I thought it was great!, 4 Feb 2008
A. Townsend (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
it can only be classed as chick-lit but as long as you know what you're getting, you can't go wrong.
I thought it was great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nobody worth knowing, 16 Jan 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)

Bette Robinson quits her tedious job when her boss (think Lumbergh from "Office Space") annoys her one time too many. At first, she's confused about what to do next, and being a gossip columnist with her gay uncle is not exactly her idea of a great job. But then she falls in with a different kind of "journalism" -- at a PR and party planning firm.

At first, Bette is intoxicated by the wild nightlife of A-listers and clubs, and is rescued by a hot-yet-arrogant British "Nightlife Adonis." Soon SHE is in the gossip columns. Unfortunately, her new job threatens to derail life with those she loves -- her hippie parents, who want something better for her, and the hot bouncer she's falling in love with.

Someone needs to tell Wisberger that a guilty pleasure is no fun if the author gets sanctimonious about it. Sure, cater to people's love of the high life, wild parties and even throw in a moral or two about the shallowness of fame. But if the author has actually lived it, then moaning how very terrible it is to be famous, pretty and well-paid will only be annoying.

Much of the middle of this book exists just to tie the end and beginning together; Weisberger tries to cover up the lack of a real plot with lots of topless costume parties, celebrity name-dropping, drugs and a contrived subplot about a pal marrying her trust-fund loser. It takes some special writing to redeem a plot full of cliches and tabloid fodder, and this is not special writing.

And Bette is not the heroine to redeem it either -- she hardly even has opinions of her own, let alone a personality. Her self-righteous hippie parents at least have a quirky appeal, even if her boyfriends and pals are cardboard cutouts. And someone needs to tell Weisberger that it is not cute, clever or funny to name a gay pal (even an uncle) "Will."

"Everyone Worth Knowing" comes across as an attempt at self-justification by someone who has been there, yet doesn't want to admit that it was fun. Like a drunken one-night stand -- sloppily done and unmemorable. Once it's done, you'll wonder what you were thinking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Worth Reading (If you don't have anything else to read.)., 31 July 2007
maya j (Quail Crossing) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
While The Devil Wears Prada was cutting edge, fresh and scandalous, Everyone Worth Knowing was tried, true and predictable. Here's the premise: Young New Yorker, fabulously beautiful, but doesn't know it; Super talented, but bad job; Great connections to other fabulous people, but doesn't seem to care; Men who like her, but really don't act like it. It seems to have been just a reworked version of 'Devil' or, incredibly, this book really reminded me of Something Borrowed (which was a fantastic book). Regardless of this predictability, 'Everyone Worth Knowing' was okay to read because we like stuff like this. It's fun, it's easy to read, and it requires no cognitive thinking skills. It's just that if you're looking for something new and different- it wasn't there. I had a really hard time envisioning the main character, Bette, and I don't think it was because she wasn't described well. What we read was that she was smart, beautiful and talented, but that these traits were unnoticed, unrevealed and undiscovered. As much as Lauren Weisberger tried to bring those things out of her- her visage just didn't manifest itself to me. 'Everyone Worth Knowing' is an okay book that would be an easy, quick read on a plane trip, because if you got distracted, it wouldn't be hard to just jump back in and keep reading- it does not require a lot of thought to process this book. Recommended if you don't have anything else to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Fun, 10 Oct 2006
A. Morris (Winchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think part of the appeal for me was that it's set in Manhattan, which I find to be a fascinating city. I could relate to the superficial club scene, as I live in London and I laughed out loud at quite a few of the self-obsessed characters that you often find in PR and Media here in London.

I found the central character of Bette to be the least interesting part of the book. Her surrounding characters were more interesting and fun. I felt the ending was dragged out for far too long and her love interest was a bit sickly (especiall the ending).

Not as good as The Devil Wears Prada, but a nice, light, entertaining and fun book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A mission not a pleasure!, 26 Feb 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I picked up ‘Everyone Worth Knowing’ because I wanted a fun chick-lit book to chill out to after a bout of reading quite heavy books about the Holocaust. While it started out as fun and chilled I found finishing this book more a mission than a pleasure.
The story centers on Bettina Robinson (Bette). She works 80hr weeks at a safe boring job in a bank, a job which she decides to jack in when her annoying boss gives her one pep-talk too many. After several weeks of lazing on her couch she decides to get a job and ends up working as a party organizer for Kelly & Company. All of a sudden she’s propelled into the realms of the super-rich where her job is to party and be seen in the hottest nightspots Manhattan has to offer. Before long she goes from reading the gossip columns to being in the gossip columns for her ‘relationship’ with the notorious British playboy Philip Weston.
While Bettes boss, Kelly, is loving seeing her Company’s name in the news thanks to Bettes ‘relationship’ with a notorious playboy, Bettes own hippy parents are totally aghast at the antics of their daughter. Then Bettes somewhat celebrity columnist uncle Will gets dragged into the gossip columns, right around the time that best friend Penelope decides to head off to LA with her trust-fund fiancé. And poor Bette is left on her lonesome with only the super-rich A-list party crowd to keep her company.
While the author tries to make you feel sorry for Bette and how a life of partying and rubbing shoulders with the A-list is so tough it just annoyed me. Bette to me just came across as a selfish, attention-seeking blonde who would whinge no matter what job she had. Poor dopey Penelope is just such a cliché as was the plot of Sammy who goes from zero to hero in no time at all. Oh please!
This book was a true light-weight with no real plot to it. I found it mildly amusing to start with but eventually just grew tired of the ‘poor me’ story-line. My advice - pick up a Cathy Kelly book instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars kinda boring, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I havent actually read the devil wears prada, so I cant compare it to this (although I have seen the film, which was ok). I bought this expecting a fun, glamorous book, but it was actually a bit boring. I ended up mostly scan-reading towards the end. It was an ok book I guess, but nothing special, just very average chick-lit. I have chosen not to read any more of this authors books after reading this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic holiday read, 27 May 2009
Ms. G. Wilson (Sunderland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book (and all of the other Lauren Weisberger books). It's a fantastic holiday read and I would recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable non-taxing read, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I read this book in about two days on a winter sun holiday. I wasn't expecting much from it after reading some of the not-so-complimentary reviews on amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think I may have even enjoyed it more then The Devil Wears Prada. I love the glitzy New York setting and there are some well depicted characters. It's all very tongu in cheek and it was funny reading about the various shallow creatures of the exclusive Manhattan social scene but I came to the same conclusion that the author probably has - that all these party people are, eh, not so worth knowing!!! Don't expect too much from this book but if it's a holiday read you're after it's a bit of fun and escapism. I now look forward to reading Chasing Harry Winston!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 29 Jun 2008
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I really loved this book - I read it straight from cover to cover because it was so enjoyable and an easy read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but no Prada, 6 Nov 2007
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I bought this after reading The Devil Wears Prada and it's a pretty similar book. Bettina's uncle gets her a new job planning parties and she's soon sucked into the unfamiliar world of the New York party set.
There's not really a lot of surprises - you could see most twists coming a mile off, but it's entertaining and enjoyable.

Everyone Worth Knowing
Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (Paperback - 20 Jun 2013)
5.59