Format: PaperbackChange

on 23 November 2010
Slightly different and more 'grown up' than most of his story books, this tale is a heartwarming tale of loss told with all the usual grace of Jeffers and his unique art style.

Jeffers has a real knack for getting strong emotions in his childrens' books and this is another example of his fantastic storytelling.
on 7 October 2013
We all love oliver jeffers. His books are amazing. This one is alot more simple, big beautiful pictures and small amount of story-but a very powerful story. And easy for my children to learn to read. Its the story of a young girl who deals with love and loss and hope. Deeply moving
on 27 December 2014
Wonderful book, have used this with boys to help talk about loss
on 19 August 2013
I love this book. When I first read it to the children, I did not realise at first what was going on till I read it again to the children. Gave me goose bumps. Definitely recommend to teachers.
on 17 January 2013
Chose this before seeing it purely because I read positive reviews on several sites. Must agree the drawings are lovely, and the story is very charming. The child I gave it to liked it a lot.
on 7 May 2015
Beautiful and touching. My son found it very sad, but understood the message of loss, a tricky subject at the best of times, but made that bit easier with this incredibly effective story.
on 26 August 2015
My five year old daughter asks for this to be read to her repeatedly, though I'm not sure she realises yet what is signified by Grandad's chair being empty. Lovely illustrations too.
on 22 September 2013
Such a lovely story which really makes the reader think - we've used it in class and the children really enjoyed it. Lots of scope for discussion and imaginative writing.
on 10 December 2014
beautiful book dealing with loss
on 6 January 2014
I am a great fan of Oliver Jeffers and my young child loves all Jeffers books and so this was simply adding to our collection and we were not disappointed.