4.0 out of 5 stars Another corker
This book is crammed full of fantastic art from what must be one of the best childrens authors for a long time.

It's cute and stylish, unmistakably Oliver Jeffers.

I don't think the story is as strong as his other books, but it is still a great story, and the very last page is brilliant!

A little boy flies his plane higher and higher until...
Published on 3 Sept. 2007 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing package
i bought this as a gift for my nephew's birthday - because the boxed set of oliver jeffers' books was out of stock - and i was disappointed by the amount of 'empty' moulded plastic packaging. i love his books, and i even thought the 'walkie talkie' would appeal (although i wouldn't normally buy such an item if i hadn't left it to the last minute) but in all honesty, if i...
Published on 23 Oct. 2011 by purple-dub

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Lovely Book!, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
What a lovely book! I am a big fan of Oliver Jeffers and already had 'How to Catch A Star'. This is a great story for children 3 to 7 year olds. Great illustrations and the book gives different points for discussion with your child. Would definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Lost and Found' or 'How to Catch a Star', 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This is a story about the boy from Oliver Jeffers' other books (Lost and Found, How to Catch a Star etc). He find an aeroplane in his cupboard, flies it higher and higher until it runs out of petrol and he ends up stuck on the moon. He is alone and afraid in the dark. A martian's spaceship has an engine break down and he crashes on the moon too. They both hear noises and are afraid, but find eachother and realise that they aren't alone any more. They discuss their respective problems. The boy parachutes into the sea to get things to fix the craft and swims to home where he goes and watches television with the penguin until he remembers that he should be getting the things they need. He climbs up a mountain and the martian lowers him a rope which he climbs. They fix the aeroplane and spaceship and say goodbye and both go home. The boy gets a parcel containing a walkie talkie which says 'hello' as the boy wanders away.

The story just isn't as neat or poignant as 'How to Catch a Star' or 'Lost and Found'. The pictures and language are lovely but it just fails to hang together for me. Especially as for very unrealistic stories which are going to confuse a 3 year old who is just trying to figure out how the world works, there has to be a fair bit in their favour to counteract that. On the other hand, my 3 year old did quite enjoy it - though not one as not as much as those other two Oliver Jeffers books. It's been reread a bit but not a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming surreal story with stylized quirky illustrations, 30 Sept. 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This lovely picture book has fantastic quirky stylized pictures, with an endearingly quirky story to match. The boy finds an old fashioned aeroplane, there's a good sequence of illustrations as he dons flying helmet, jacket and goggles, and then off he flies until he runs out of petrol at the moon. As he begins to get lonely and afraid, a delightful little green alien becomes stuck on the moon with engine failure and they become friends. There's another lovely sequence of illustrations as the two marooned explorers think together about how to get them both back home, and they then succeed in a rather foolish and surreal but amusing fashion. Then just as you think the story is finished you turn over to the very last page and there's an extra smile for the reader, and a "what do you think happens next" addition to the story. Also, if you bother with author biographies, it's a lovely to have a picture of Jeffers as a boy and my children are fascinated by his having a green brother - a lovely touch.
This is my favourite of the boy's adventures so far, which seem to be getting increasingly original - though I do also recommend the others. All three books are entirely stand alone, though it is fun for the child who is familiar with the other two to spot the penguin from `Lost and Found' and the rocket from `How to Catch a Star' appearing in the pictures of this one. This is a very enjoyable book to read to your children and I thoroughly recommend it for 2-5s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspend reality and join the ride!, 9 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This is the first Oliver Jeffers book we came across and has become a favourite in our household. Easily suspending reality, my son is awestruck as "the boy" takes his aeroplane for a ride and gets stuck on the moon with a Martian who is equally stranded. The quirky way "the boy" gets off the moon and back up again with the tools and petrol required to get the flying machines working again are but two of the many anecdotes which make this tale captivating to children and adults alike.

"The way back home" is full of details which make re-reading a charming experience, especially as the illustrations allow for childish imaginations to expand upon them. To give just one example, my 3 year old son and I often discuss what language the two characters talk to each other in. As we are a bilingual family my son is very aware that not every foreigner he meets will speak his own language. He spontaneously asked me if the Martian spoke English like his friend Joel (who had given us the book as a present) or Spanish like the rest of his friends!

We also really like the photo of Oliver Jeffers as a child at the back of the book; and we lament the fact that "the boy" doesn't know how to use his new "walkie-talkie".

Quite frankly, I can't recommend this book highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, difficult to read in a dimmed room?, 24 Mar. 2011
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Hardcover)
My daughter loves the story but as she's still quite young she needs it read to her.

I find, on some pages, the choice of text / background colours very difficult to read in a normally-lit
room; in a dimmed 'time-for-bed' room the text on some pages (for me) is nigh on
impossible to read (so I make the story up on those pages!)

I seem have difficulty reading the black text on a dark blue background for example (and light grey
on dark grey).

Of course, I realise this might not be a problem for everyone, but I thought I'd mention it.

So ... great story and illustrations, but (for me at least)not the easiest to read at bed time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
Yes my little one is too young to read, but can still point and ask, 'What's that' at the beautiful pictures, and it's long enough to calm him down of an evening before bed, but short enough to keep his interest. Yes, I agree with some others who have said, it's not the most exciting of books, but I still feel it's more than worth a four, almost a five but as it's up against books like the Gruffalo, which deserve a five, (despite it being a retelling in sorts of an old Aesops's fable) I can't give this full marks, four and a half would be about right. Great illustrations, simple story and keeps my under 2 's attention 'til the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars didnt arrive at all first time resent and loved., 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
We had a problem with initial delivery as in it didn't happen at all, despite me being in when the post man arrived. The day after we got a card saying it had been delivered but no one was in, not the case!!! The postman just couldn't be bothered!! The week before Xmas and as this was an xmas present we were rather concerned. Rang Amazon who resent immeadately and this time we had the normal postman who makes his rounds!! It is now a much loved bedtime story for our son. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Board book)
Great picture book. This was purchased for a literacy unit to be taught to Year 2 children and the opportunities for teaching different skills and genres with this book are fantastic. For example, there is a page of just illustrations where the boy is getting ready to fly the plane which lends itself to instruction writing. Also a good book for engaging the boys and most of all a beautiful story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Illustration, Strange Logic, 4 July 2012
Greg Scowen "Author of The Spanish Helmet" (New Zealand/Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
Not even close to the standard of other Jeffers books. As some others have noted, the story is disjointed and doesn't make sense. Even younger children question some of the logic. I recommend Lost and Found as a much better option for teaching the importance of friendship.

My children's book reviews are based on the reactions of my children. 2 stars means poor, not terrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This is a lovely little book with a gentle story and beautiful pictures. Highly recommended

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Way Back Home
The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers (Paperback - 12 Mar. 2015)