4.0 out of 5 stars The Western makes a comeback
I read this a couple of years back. My sister bought it for me for Christmas - a most unlikely choice for her, and told me to read it. Finished it Boxing Day, and absolutely loved it. What better recommendation?

Published on 11 Oct 2006 by Duncan Schwier

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual and compelling tale set in the wild west.
Published on 18 Mar 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Western makes a comeback, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)

I'm no great authority on the genre. I enjoyed the gritty realism of Cormac McCarthy novels. This is much more in the great tradition of the Western. It has a great pace, and that simple morality that great western movies have.

I'm about to recommend it for my book group, and was amazed it wasn't already reviewed. I'll revisit this review in more depth when I've re-read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful prose, 17 Nov 2000
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I just loved this novel. The harsh setting (wild West) is vividly described,the characters are totally credible and faith is the issue. I was absolutely hooked. It is, however, the style of writing which makes this book such a memorable one. Words are not wasted. A thought-provoking and satisfying book. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars tersely written Western transcends the genre., 8 Dec 1998
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
You Britons have all the luck! St. Agnes Last Stand is virtually unavailable in the US. The copy I read around the first of October ('98) has since travelled through dozens of States and at least as many hands. It is that kind of book, the kind that doesn't collect dust on a shelf, a story passed from friend to friend. Set somewhere (probably New Mexico) in the high southwestern desert during the later part of the 19th century this is the story of the fateful intersection in the lives of the redoubtable heroine St. Agnes, a resourceful but rootless Cowboy drifter on the run, and a terrifying band of Mimbres Apache. The book will satisfy anyone looking for a gripping escapist adventure.It is a thoroughly entertaining story. It is also absolutely spot-on in authenticity with the time, setting and characters rendered with complete authority. The reader's knowledge of the time and place will grow with the reading. But the most interesting part of the book is the way the author, like a clever angler, uses this gripping tale to lure us into involvement with the characters as they are forced by harrowing circumstances to consider the spiritual intersection of their respective faith, free-will and fate. Mother says the shortest sermons are the hardest to write and greatest ones are always short. This story in it's brevity and focus is reminiscent of the best of Hemingway. It is as unforgetable as it is enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eidson may be one of the century's most overlooked writers., 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I picked up this book on a whim in a London airport and didn't put it down until it ended, eight hours later on the other side of the Atlantic. Eidson has to be one of the finest writers I have ever come across for his stark and simple prose and for allowing us to feel the soul of a storyteller. This is the prefect book for a trans-Atlantic that will send you searching thorough bookstores trying to find another one to match it. He hooks you on the first line and doesn't let go until the last page. I wouldn't call this a "western", although it is that in part, but more than a western, his book is a story of humanity and the human condition that wins you over on all fronts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great western with more..., 11 Feb 2000
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
This book is characterized by really tightly written prose that richly evokes the texture of existence in the desert Southwest. I could readily picture the quality of light and rock in each scene, as Eidson captures it all so easily with his simple, fluid style.
Here is a book ostensibly about how a cowboy gets stuck trying to save a group of nuns and some children, that deals with issues of God, faith, life, death and a clash of cultures.
If you liked this book and its themes and style, you might also like to read Brian Moore - an author with a similar spare and easy style as Thomas Eidson's...
Write on Thomas Eidson!

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly gripping, 2 Dec 2000
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
I agree with the other comments - a fantastic story that hooks you from the very first page and doesn't let go. I read the whole book in one sitting - I just couldn't put it down until I had finished it. BUY THIS BOOK!

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual and compelling tale set in the wild west., 18 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is the story of a woman's great faith in a hopeless siege situation, and the effect it had on those in her care, her attackers and a would be rescuer. It is well written and keeps you wanting to turn the page. It is however very violent, and the images stayed with me (but then I don't like violence). My other reservation is that the representation of American Indians is wholly negative. The story moved along fast, and the two main characters were likeable: overall a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hemingway & Sergio Leone, 2 Oct 2002
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
Somehow, the style of this book reminded me of Hemingway - the author never (ab)uses too many words in his descriptons. The book is about a hero against the odds/his own will, bonding with a nun, and includes violent, bloody scenes with Apaches, of which Quntin Tarratino would have approved. Though I think it is essentially a Western (but from a refreshing angle, mixing in faith and religion with steadfast friendships, the cool handed loner, the siege and everything else), this did not bother me at all. Good story to read, well written, never over the top. I enjoyed it tremendously & did read it at one go.

5.0 out of 5 stars St Agnes Stand, 27 Oct 2008
Lucy Summers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: St. Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
A beautifully crafted, poignant novel, delivering tragedy, suspense and joy from start to finish. If you hate any genre with a 'western' theme, don't be put off, the story is unique and un-put-downable. I am sure his editor could have milked this and made it a 300 page novel, but the restraint and economy of the book, only 175 pages, makes every perfect word count. This has got to rate in my top five books for 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully gripping short story, 5 Nov 2000
This review is from: St.Agnes' Stand (Paperback)
This is a short story about a group of nun's confronted by apaches, and one man who accidendentally becomes involved with them. Although the book is set in the wild west it is not really a western, but just a story about a group of people in adversity. There are only a few characters, the story is very simple, but the story is a joy to read and keeps you gripped right to the end. This is a book with a strong sense of humanity, and whilst there are religious elements to the book this is not a book about any one religion but more about belief in the wider sense. The book closes with an excellent ending that leaves you feeling good and set me starting to read the book again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

St. Agnes' Stand
St. Agnes' Stand by Thomas Eidson (Paperback - 2 July 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01