4.0 out of 5 stars Well I thought it was great!
I've seen some bad reviews for this book and I really can't understand why?! I'm not very well read on chick-lit so maybe those that are will see whats coming from the end of the first page but i was completely hooked! And i love all things New York which just happens to be the setting.
Published on 4 Feb 2008 by A. Townsend

1.0 out of 5 stars Nobody worth knowing
"Going out is part of your job now, just remember that!" squeals one of the characters in Lauren Weisberger's second novel, "Everyone Worth Knowing." As with her much-hyped first novel, this is a boo-hoo-poor-li'l-me slice of chick-lit, bemoaning how very tough it is to be live the exalted life. Oh, stop whining.

Bette Robinson quits her tedious job...
Published on 16 Jan 2006 by E. A Solinas

1.0 out of 5 stars Nobody worth knowing, 16 Jan 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)

Bette Robinson quits her tedious job when her boss (think Lumbergh from "Office Space") annoys her one time too many. At first, she's confused about what to do next, and being a gossip columnist with her gay uncle is not exactly her idea of a great job. But then she falls in with a different kind of "journalism" -- at a PR and party planning firm.

At first, Bette is intoxicated by the wild nightlife of A-listers and clubs, and is rescued by a hot-yet-arrogant British "Nightlife Adonis." Soon SHE is in the gossip columns. Unfortunately, her new job threatens to derail life with those she loves -- her hippie parents, who want something better for her, and the hot bouncer she's falling in love with.

Someone needs to tell Wisberger that a guilty pleasure is no fun if the author gets sanctimonious about it. Sure, cater to people's love of the high life, wild parties and even throw in a moral or two about the shallowness of fame. But if the author has actually lived it, then moaning how very terrible it is to be famous, pretty and well-paid will only be annoying.

Much of the middle of this book exists just to tie the end and beginning together; Weisberger tries to cover up the lack of a real plot with lots of topless costume parties, celebrity name-dropping, drugs and a contrived subplot about a pal marrying her trust-fund loser. It takes some special writing to redeem a plot full of cliches and tabloid fodder, and this is not special writing.

And Bette is not the heroine to redeem it either -- she hardly even has opinions of her own, let alone a personality. Her self-righteous hippie parents at least have a quirky appeal, even if her boyfriends and pals are cardboard cutouts. And someone needs to tell Weisberger that it is not cute, clever or funny to name a gay pal (even an uncle) "Will."

"Everyone Worth Knowing" comes across as an attempt at self-justification by someone who has been there, yet doesn't want to admit that it was fun. Like a drunken one-night stand -- sloppily done and unmemorable. Once it's done, you'll wonder what you were thinking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I thought it was great!, 4 Feb 2008
A. Townsend (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
it can only be classed as chick-lit but as long as you know what you're getting, you can't go wrong.
I thought it was great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Worth Reading (If you don't have anything else to read.)., 31 July 2007
maya j (Quail Crossing) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
While The Devil Wears Prada was cutting edge, fresh and scandalous, Everyone Worth Knowing was tried, true and predictable. Here's the premise: Young New Yorker, fabulously beautiful, but doesn't know it; Super talented, but bad job; Great connections to other fabulous people, but doesn't seem to care; Men who like her, but really don't act like it. It seems to have been just a reworked version of 'Devil' or, incredibly, this book really reminded me of Something Borrowed (which was a fantastic book). Regardless of this predictability, 'Everyone Worth Knowing' was okay to read because we like stuff like this. It's fun, it's easy to read, and it requires no cognitive thinking skills. It's just that if you're looking for something new and different- it wasn't there. I had a really hard time envisioning the main character, Bette, and I don't think it was because she wasn't described well. What we read was that she was smart, beautiful and talented, but that these traits were unnoticed, unrevealed and undiscovered. As much as Lauren Weisberger tried to bring those things out of her- her visage just didn't manifest itself to me. 'Everyone Worth Knowing' is an okay book that would be an easy, quick read on a plane trip, because if you got distracted, it wouldn't be hard to just jump back in and keep reading- it does not require a lot of thought to process this book. Recommended if you don't have anything else to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable non-taxing read, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I read this book in about two days on a winter sun holiday. I wasn't expecting much from it after reading some of the not-so-complimentary reviews on amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think I may have even enjoyed it more then The Devil Wears Prada. I love the glitzy New York setting and there are some well depicted characters. It's all very tongu in cheek and it was funny reading about the various shallow creatures of the exclusive Manhattan social scene but I came to the same conclusion that the author probably has - that all these party people are, eh, not so worth knowing!!! Don't expect too much from this book but if it's a holiday read you're after it's a bit of fun and escapism. I now look forward to reading Chasing Harry Winston!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Fun, 10 Oct 2006
A. Morris (Winchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think part of the appeal for me was that it's set in Manhattan, which I find to be a fascinating city. I could relate to the superficial club scene, as I live in London and I laughed out loud at quite a few of the self-obsessed characters that you often find in PR and Media here in London.

I found the central character of Bette to be the least interesting part of the book. Her surrounding characters were more interesting and fun. I felt the ending was dragged out for far too long and her love interest was a bit sickly (especiall the ending).

Not as good as The Devil Wears Prada, but a nice, light, entertaining and fun book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good read, 2 Oct 2008
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it.
It started out very similar to "The Devil Wears Prada".
After quiting her job, Bette is looking for something new (well, looking might be a bit of an overstatement here).
Her ucle gets het a job as a party planner, and just like in Weisberger's previous novel, the people she works with are shocked to find out that Bette's never heard of fashion names and asseccories like a Birkin Bag.
After reading that bit, I was afraid the entire book was going to be The Devil Wears Prada in a different, very fashionable, coat, but I was surprised to find out that asside from these similarities, there was more to it.
As Bette starts her new life as a party planner, she becomes involved in a strange relationship with nightlife adonis (a duke and "Gwyneth's (Paltrow we all assume) ex") Philip Weston.
She starts making appearances in the hottest Gossip column of the moment, and things go downhill from there, when the line between work and home starts to fade...

The idea of private and work mixing was also a big issue in The Devil Wears Prada, which is another similarity I worried about.
Also, I find it a little hard to connect to Bette's friends, a problem I also had with Weisberger's first novel.
A little more background story or a nice night out would make it easier to connect to the friends right from the beginning, instead of somewhere halfway through the book.

All in all I really enjoyed reading this book, enough to finish it in less than 2 days.
I was into it enough to sometimes want to hit Bette over the head for not saying something when everybody simply believed, and commented on, all the bad things written about her. Which is a good sign, I'm sure ;)
Lauren Weisberger's next book (Chasing Harry Winston) has already been taken of the shelf for reading, so check my review..

2.0 out of 5 stars A mission not a pleasure!, 26 Feb 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I picked up ‘Everyone Worth Knowing’ because I wanted a fun chick-lit book to chill out to after a bout of reading quite heavy books about the Holocaust. While it started out as fun and chilled I found finishing this book more a mission than a pleasure.
The story centers on Bettina Robinson (Bette). She works 80hr weeks at a safe boring job in a bank, a job which she decides to jack in when her annoying boss gives her one pep-talk too many. After several weeks of lazing on her couch she decides to get a job and ends up working as a party organizer for Kelly & Company. All of a sudden she’s propelled into the realms of the super-rich where her job is to party and be seen in the hottest nightspots Manhattan has to offer. Before long she goes from reading the gossip columns to being in the gossip columns for her ‘relationship’ with the notorious British playboy Philip Weston.
While Bettes boss, Kelly, is loving seeing her Company’s name in the news thanks to Bettes ‘relationship’ with a notorious playboy, Bettes own hippy parents are totally aghast at the antics of their daughter. Then Bettes somewhat celebrity columnist uncle Will gets dragged into the gossip columns, right around the time that best friend Penelope decides to head off to LA with her trust-fund fiancé. And poor Bette is left on her lonesome with only the super-rich A-list party crowd to keep her company.
While the author tries to make you feel sorry for Bette and how a life of partying and rubbing shoulders with the A-list is so tough it just annoyed me. Bette to me just came across as a selfish, attention-seeking blonde who would whinge no matter what job she had. Poor dopey Penelope is just such a cliché as was the plot of Sammy who goes from zero to hero in no time at all. Oh please!
This book was a true light-weight with no real plot to it. I found it mildly amusing to start with but eventually just grew tired of the ‘poor me’ story-line. My advice - pick up a Cathy Kelly book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Everyone Worth Knowing'- a book not just for girls..., 8 Feb 2010
Nathan De Ravin "47Crash" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Audio CD)
I bought this audio book for one reason only-my favorite actress is reading it. Ordinarily I would never have heard of it, it has chick lit written all over it but any project that has the name Eliza Dushku attached gets my attention. And I'm so glad it does. Because thanks to Elizas' performance I find myself drawn into the strange and bizarre world of New York party planners and shmoozers. Eliza infuses each character with their own distinctive personality, switching between different accents and inflections, bringing the text off the page and into life. You care about the good guys and hate the bad guys, pulling for Bet Robinson, the protagonist, rooting for her all the way. I shouldn't like this book, I really shouldn't. But I can't help myself. Superbly written by Lauren Weisberger-bravo indeed for disguising an all around excellent piece under a cover of chick lit-and wonderfully read (or performed, I'm not sure what the term is) by the astonishingly talented Ms Dushku this is a novel for everyone to enjoy. I implore you to spend some time in the world of Bet Robinson, Uncle Will, Philip Weston and Sammie, no matter what your gender. Lauren Weisberger and Eliza Dushku will have you believing you too live your life in smoky, celebrity filled night clubs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 1 Oct 2007
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
This was only ok. What made it only a passable read was the fact that on the whole it was rather one dimensional and lacking in substance. There was no depth to the characters at all; you felt you barely got to know them and there were gaping holes where their emotions and responses to the events unfolding around them should have been. I read on truly hoping it would get better. It wasn't terrible, read it to pass the time, but I wouldn't go out of your way to do so.

2.0 out of 5 stars kinda boring, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I havent actually read the devil wears prada, so I cant compare it to this (although I have seen the film, which was ok). I bought this expecting a fun, glamorous book, but it was actually a bit boring. I ended up mostly scan-reading towards the end. It was an ok book I guess, but nothing special, just very average chick-lit. I have chosen not to read any more of this authors books after reading this one.

Everyone Worth Knowing
Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (Hardcover - 3 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01