5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best book Ive ever read
This book had me glued from the moment I read the first page.

I hadnt read any of Freya Norths other books so I had no expectations and I have to say that this is the only book Ive ever read where I couldnt predict the ending from about chapter 4.

If you cry watching chick flicks-this is the book for you, you'll close the last page and go aww[...]
Published on 18 Jun 2007 by Ms. K. G. CRANE

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but won't change your life!
Published on 3 Aug 2010 by JE8

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but won't change your life!, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
I've read quite a few Freya North's books and have rushed through them, loving the characters and wanting to get to know them more, but there was something about this book which I can't put my finger on, which did not 'click' with me in the same way as, say Chloe, Secrets or Pillow Talk. I don't like to be critical as it must be so difficult to write novel after novel, and yes, it is still a pleasant read. But saying that, if you are approaching Ms North's works for the first time, I would recommend the others I've mentioned above first to see whether you like her style of writing. I started with Chloe and absolutely loved it! I've lent it to a friend and never had it back ... which I think says it all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful but easy read, 19 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
I read this book for 'light relief' after a previous couple of heavy novels I'd made my way through. It didn't quite reach my unfair expectations - the shocking secret that Thea discovered about Saul is not what I expected it to be. But I found most of the others outcomes quite predictable.
Some of it was a bit too 'nice' for my liking ... maybe I'm just jealous that there are people out there that can afford to buy in London at all, let alone within their 'chosen postcodes', and furnish their apartments with items that don't come from Ikea!
Like one other reader, I found the graphic sex moments a little too descriptive for my liking.
It was thought provoking and I felt it dealt with some issues that some typical chick-lit fails to mention. So well done Ms North!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking stuff, 16 Feb 2008
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
The more recent Freya North novels have stepped away from her 'arty farty' books of the 1990s and as a result, provide the reader with much better material. This book, charting the lovelives of the four main characters, Alice, Thea, Saul and Mark works very well and they appear to be believable, albeit rich and living in some rather swish postcodes in north London!

North puts a lot of emotion into her writing and most of this is conveyed by Alice and Thea. There is a certain amount of rather 'descriptive to say the least' sex scenes in the book, but they don't detract. Read or buy this book if you want to immerse yourself in a good book before bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best book Ive ever read, 18 Jun 2007
Ms. K. G. CRANE "Kezzy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
This book had me glued from the moment I read the first page.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent - and moving, 30 May 2006
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
From the cover etc, you think Love Rules will be just a light-hearted romp featuring two best friends but though it is entertaining, it is deeper too. Major issues were tackled informatively and sensitively - about whether one gains greater contentment from listening to one's head and not one's heart - or greater happiness from following one's heart and ignoring one's head. There's an amazing sub-plot too - a real shocker when all is revealed. I actually said "Oh My God" out loud! Freya North really got me thinking about whether infidelity has a sliding scale. This is not a heavy book - but i did have a little cry in it! Probably because the characters are so believable. I would say this is warm, witty, humane and intelligently written - a cut above chick-lit stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the others!, 27 Sep 2005
Sue (hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
Having read all Freya North's other books, I've never really decided if I particularly like her style of writing but I have to say this is her best one yet. Only on the rare occasion in this book does she revert to dialogue between the reader and the characters which has so annoyed me in the past. I did feel that some of the sex scenes could have done with a little less information but perhaps I'm just a prude!
Overall, a very good read with a more unusual storyline to the other chicklits around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Jan 2007
S. J. Virtue "sjv" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
One of the best books I've read in the past five years, Love Rules tells the tale of best friends Alice and Thea and the trials and tribulations of love - identifying it, finding it, keeping it and living it. Ms North writes great characters and plots - and the relationship between the best friends is as believable as the relationships the girls have with the men in their lives. I fell in love with Saul (Theas boyfriend)very early on in the story, and the twist in their relationship had me questioning myself! Suffice to say, I wouldnt have done what Thea did... A great read, buy this, then buy all Ms Norths other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - best yet from Freya North!, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
This book is Freya North's best work yet, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of her books I enjoyed this book even more. I read the whole thing within 3 days, it was compelling. You can affiliate with all of the characters, it made me laugh and cry! Brilliant - Can't wait for her next book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: Love Rules (Paperback)
I have almost read all of Freya North books and so far this is simply the best so far, it's so much different compared to her last books.
You could almost relate to either one of the characters with the likes of Alice, Thea, Saul,and Mark. It's totally orginal and very out of the ordinary. But i love it and would read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprising twist, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Love Rules (Kindle Edition)
A good read and not the usual girl falls for boy with a happy ending well worth reading and enjoying

Love Rules
Love Rules by Freya North (Paperback - 25 Jun 2009)
6.11