5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Collins Gem Seashore Guide
This is a great little book that fits nicely in your pocket. Ideal for the Seashore enthusiast. It has a large number of the most common species found on the shores of Britain and gives brief descriptions of the species and habitat as well as useful hints if there are similar species and how to tell them apart.
I am a marine ranger and I take this with me whereever I...
Published on 7 Dec 2004 by Ms. A. C. L. Toffolo

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
I have taken this little book with me on a number of beach and estuary walks and have not found it useful in identifying anything; birds, shells, seaweed ...
I have just bought the Collins Complete Guide To British Coastal Wildlife to replace this book. Although far more expensive and probably aimed at a different audience, the new book looks as though it will be far...
Published 20 months ago by S BROOK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Collins Gem Seashore Guide, 7 Dec 2004
Ms. A. C. L. Toffolo "Calliea" (Flintshire, North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I am a marine ranger and I take this with me whereever I go as it is idea in size and doesn't get in the way, and brilliant practical tool for any enthusiast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly laid out - an excellent little guide, 23 July 2010
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I found this little book recently whilst on holiday. Having other guides to nature - birds, mushrooms, butterflies etc - the one thing I was missing was a book on the seashore. When I spotted this, I jumped on it.
The first thing which makes this perfect is the size; it is small enough to easily and comfortably fit into your pocket. This of course means that you can easily carry it with you for instant identification. Secondly, the way that it is laid out also enables easy identification; each section is colour-coded and represents a particualr kind of seashore (i.e., rocky coast, sand-dunes, sand and shingle beaches and so on). This means, for beginners like me, it really couldn't be easier. And not only are the creatures included but there is also identification for the plants that you may see.
I love this little book. Although I do not live near the sea, whenever I visit it I shall defintiely be taking this little treasure along with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy pocket guide, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
This is small enough to tuck away and has already helped identify a couple of things while out rockpooling with the kids - ideal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seashore, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I moved to the coast about 5 years ago and decided to get educated about the wildlife around me and this little book doesn't disappoint. It gives you info on all the common things you would see while having a stroll on a beach or rocky shore i.e. crabs, seashells, seaweeds, plants, anemones etc, as well as other amazing little creatures I never new existed. Each page contain a photo of the object with a brief descripton followed by the sub headings of ; colour, length, habitat, range and similar species. An excellent little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful for all ages, 22 Aug 2010
J. M. Williams (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I bought this book before a visit to West Williamston wildlife reserve in Pembrokeshire. There were so many different species there, and with this tiny book they were easy to identify.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connect with your world, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Took this to the seaside & we were amazed to be able to identify 8 different types of seaweed. It's a lovely way of encouraging the children to take an interest in the world around us, and learn a lot ourselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars rockpools, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Collins Gem - Seashore (Paperback)
I have three children and we often visit the beach all year round - I really wish i'd bought one years ago - it list everything you can find in a rock pool including the seaweed! It's fantastic for the children now they haven't just caught a crab but know which kind of crab, very educational and easy to use, nice size as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins Wild Guide - Seashore is BRILLIANT!, 7 Dec 2011
Excellent reference book. Handy pocket size and clear photo's make identification easy. This book has become my bible whilst teaching at Beach school and also in completing my college course. Highly recommended and worth every penny. I haven't really bothered with my other books since I got this!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun for the kids at the seaside, 30 Aug 2011
A. reid - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
a great little pocket-sized book for the kids to take to the seaside. and at a great price. Lots of useful photos for recognising all sorts of creatures on the seashore and especially in the rockpools. My 8 year old loves it!

4.0 out of 5 stars really handy little book, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Seashore (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I brought this for my husband who has just done a countryside management course- we live by the sea so he wanted to extend his knowledge to our shoreline as well. It fits into his pockets and is very well organised within the book so you dont have to spend ages looking for the animal or seaweed ! you are looking for. Not hugley indepth but what you need when your out and about to help you make a quick and informed id.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Seashore (Collins Gem)
Seashore (Collins Gem) by Ken Preston-Mafham (Paperback - 1 Mar 2004)