5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect - nothing better on a market
An excellent guide I have been waiting long time for. I will be recommending it to all my students as a basic book for field excursions. But nothing is perfect: I miss that eggs/clutches/cocoons of neither group are not depicted as one readily finds this sort of evidence that something lives in a pond/stream.

Also, the variety of dipteran larvae is not shown...
Published on 8 Mar 2007 by Martin Cerny

1.0 out of 5 stars False information in the preview.
Having just viewed the 'look inside' feature of this book and subsequently read that tardigrades have four legs I shall be giving this particular volume a miss. They have 8 legs!
Published 1 month ago by J. G. Roland

5.0 out of 5 stars Freshwater Life, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this book as much for my grandsons as for myself. It gives us all a very comprehensive and beautifully illustrated and easy to use guide to a wide variety of species found in our surrounding area. My grandsons love to pond dip in our pond and now it is easy to identify the species they find there.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
recommended to me while attending riverfly partnership course for future reference , when doing inverterbrate moniterring to check water quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Lots of info and pictures, good size for walks or desk, well written and relevant material. Well laid out. Very pleased, recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 21 Feb 2014
Jim Archer "Jim" (Hornchurch, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
I help with pond dipping at my local RSPB reserve and always recommend this book to people who want to know more. Irritatingly, the RSPB itself won't stock it, perhaps because it doesn't sell for a big enough profit;but, in comparison with its competitors, this book contains far more information about the smaller animals that provide most of the interest for my 'customers'.

This was my second copy. The last, well-used version, alas, got wet, and the pages of once-shiny paper proved impossible to separate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
I have had this book for a couple of years now, after creating a nature pond in my garden. It has been of great value to me as a reference. Very good pictures as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly useful pocket book, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Our new pond is just full of critters, but what are they? This guide has hundreds of great illustrations, laid out in easy-to-find order so it is very handy to have in your pocket to identify the species in and around the pond. One of the best I've seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers the essentials, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Has a good section for everything, bought this to help with identifying canal species for my dissertation. I wish it had a bigger plant section but is a small, handy book for taking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 July 2013
J. Tang (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
perfect for beginner ecologists and aquatic enthusiasts. Beautiful illustrations of the most common plants and creatures. the only problem is that it isn't waterproof :(

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing guide to the hidden world of pond life, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
I have been helping with pond dipping sessions for young children and this has enable me to answer their barrage of questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave this as present to someone very interested in pond life, 24 Feb 2013
Karen A. (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
So far had only good feedback from person I gave it to, and said that they frequently referred to it.

Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide)
Freshwater Life (Collins Pocket Guide) by Denys Ovenden (Paperback - 5 Mar 2007)
16.00