5.0 out of 5 stars Isabel Allende surpasses herself - again!
Published on 22 Jun 2004 by miltonius

3.0 out of 5 stars Eco-Enid Blyton for the modern age
This is an enjoyable enough story with all the ingredients of a decent adventure romp. There's an exotic setting (a fictious Himalayan kingdom loosely based on Bhutan), several improbably heroic 'goodies', some scary-but-not-too-scary 'baddies', a strong ecological theme, and plenty of dare devil heroics.

In fact, as a slightly cynical adult reader it's hard...
Published on 9 April 2007 by BookWorm

5.0 out of 5 stars Isabel Allende surpasses herself - again!, 22 Jun 2004
Every time a new Isabel Allende book comes out I wonder if she will surpass herself this time and every time she does! I know other people have said they found City of the Beasts (prequel to Kingdom of the Golden Dragon) rather childish but whats wrong with suspending some of our adult disbelief and revelling in the wonder of childhood? City of Beasts did that and now Kingdom of the Golden Dragon has done the same - yes perhaps itis complete fantasy but I think I prefer it to the real world!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous follow-up, 21 Jun 2004
Ms. C. L. Lindley "Lindlec" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
From the first page of Allende's sequel to City of the Beasts, I was hooked. The travels of Alex Cold and his grandmother Kate this time take them to the Kingdom of the Golden Dragon, situated somewhere near India and Nepal. In this adventure we meet Yeti's, spiritual men who can read minds, and journey through a maze to see the Golden Dragon - reminscent of Indiana Jones. Will Alex and Nadia save the day again, will they keep the Golden Dragon from the hands of the egomaniac Collector, and who is the Specialist?
Read it and find out........

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 28 Jun 2005
Chantal Lyons "C.S. Lyons" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
I was horrified to see a review of this novel that only gave it 2 stars-it deserves all 5 stars.
This novel gripped me all the way through. Not too long and not to short, it explores the culture of buddhism and leads you on a journey where myth, magic and bravery mix. It was well written, not as a previous review stated, and never caused me to lose interest.
This is one unique, absorbing novel you won't regret reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for relaxing, 12 Oct 2005
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
The Kingdom of the Golden Dragon is definitely a great book, written with a superb style and based on a very enjoyable story. The mainstream plot is a typical adventure, full of unexpected developments. What I appreciated most were anyway the continuous reminders to cultural and philosophical elements from the Tibet. Perfect book for relaxing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Eco-Enid Blyton for the modern age, 9 April 2007
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)

In fact, as a slightly cynical adult reader it's hard not to suspect that there isn't a computer programme somewhere called 'how to write a bestselling eco-adventure for 8-12 year olds' which has been used to generate this and, one suspects, the other two voulmes in this trilogy.

However, that shouldn't take away from the fact that this is a decently written, engaging and gripping story, which will doubtless be well enjoyed by its target audience. It does what it says on the tin. The setting is well described and the action quite exciting, although a little implausible. It's a sort of modern Enid Blyton, of the 'Eco-Adventurous Three go to the Himalayas' type. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on what you like.

Older/more experienced readers will find the plot predictable and the characters one-dimensional and mostly unbelievable. It also stretches the boundaries of plausibility a little too far. I'm all for good escapist fantasy, but a really good story of this type should have you so involved you don't even stop to consider whether it could possibly happen in real life or not. Plenty of recent books in the genre get away with far more imcredible plot twists and sets of circumstances than occur here, but I didn't feel this book pulled it off.

The ecological theme will be appealing to modern young readers and it does offer an interesting insight into a different way of life. The exotic setting and plentiful action make it pleasantly escapist. There are a few 'messages' not very subtly contained in the story, though nothing especially original.

On the whole, it's not a bad read, but it's not a great read either. There are plenty of much better books out there for this age group. But for the child that's read everything, this won't do any harm. I wouldn't recommend it to readers over 13 though, and this isn't one of those children's books that will appeal to adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 24 Dec 2006
Nadia Al Hazmi (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
First be warned, this is NOT a typical Allende book, as it is explained in the foreword, this book, along with the other two in the series (City of the Beasts and the Forest of the Pygmies) was written to grant the wish of her young family members. It is essentially a children's book, but as the Harry Potter books, it can fulfill the imagination of those adults among us that like to tap into our inner child whenever needed! It is relaxing and enjoyable with two young characters that stretch the limit of imagination and blend the real and metaphysical worlds in order to succeed in their adventures.

I certainly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story, once it gets going, 13 Dec 2009
Lance Mitchell (Hampshire, UK, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
I have to admit that I really struggled with this book, and nearly gave up, several times, during the first hundred pages or so. I am glad that I persisted, because it is quite a good story.

What really irritated me, early on, were the stupidly ridiculous situations which were being put before me. For example, a teenage girl arrives at JFK with her pet monkey in a cardboard box; it escapes and causes havoc, but she is allowed to continue through to the transit lounge with her pet running free. She gets through Heathrow in much the same manner, to arrive at her final destination, New Delhi. As a friend of mine was almost arrested for having an apple in his baggage when he arrived at an American airport, I found this totally unbelievable.

I was perfectly happy with shape-shifting, communication between humans and animals by telepathy and alliances being formed with yetis, but the event described above and the idea of a teenager running away to a Himalayan mountain top, and surviving, were just too much for me. Perhaps I am odd!

Anyway, the book is worth reading for the story, particularly, I think, for teenagers and young adults.

In the first few chapters, I would have rated it with only one or two stars. Eventually, I liked it, and gave it three.

4.0 out of 5 stars very, very entertaining, 6 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book very much. The story was highly entertaining and makes you feel as if you enter a magic kingdom.
The main characters were a bit plain and predictable (especially if you have read the first book of the trilogy, City of the Beasts) and the author could have cared to build and more interesting and better picture of them. But nevertheless the story remains strong. If you like children's books, I can highly recommended. Teenagers will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
Personally, I prefer to read a series of books starting with the first but began this one without realising it was the second in a series. Usually I'd put the book down and find the previous book, but i couldn't. The story drew me in with its enchanting lands and lovable characters. And though much of what I'm sure is the main story of the first book was told throughout this one, I'm still wanting to read it and be whisked away into another magical adventure. I've bought it and am sure it will live up to my expectations!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a book for children!, 20 Jan 2014
T. Hill "Tim Hill" (Lublin, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Paperback)
This was recommended to me by someone else but at first I was very disappointed by the basic writing style and almost complete lack of suspense. Only when I got to the end and read the interview with the author did I realise it was a book for children! Not sure if that is clear on Amazon.

I'm now reading Maya's Notebook by the same author and that is excellent.

Kingdom of the Golden Dragon
Kingdom of the Golden Dragon by Isabel Allende (Paperback - 7 Mar 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01