4.0 out of 5 stars It helped me feel prepared (and not get fat)
There's some sensible advice in this book, geared toward preparing mind and body for a natural and gentle birth.

The gist is - don't pig out on processed food and sugar or you'll pile on the weight and your baby will be too big resulting in a difficult birth. At worst you may get gestational diabetes. Be informed about the birth process and rehearse it mentally...
Published on 19 Aug 2006 by L. Haycox

2.0 out of 5 stars There is no getting away from the fact that giving birth does sting a little.
I read this book with my first child and it was difficult to follow the diet, I spent most of the time feeling guilty for not having the will of iron to go against every craving my body had. I did however try my best to stick to the diet most of the time and I had reflexology and healing and did the hypnosis pretty much everyday in the third trimester. I suppose, I really...
Published on 15 Jan 2009 by G. Guest

3.0 out of 5 stars Intimidating, 20 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme (Paperback)
This book focuses on ayurvedic and holistic techniques and foods for pregnancy. I think that if you have the money it would be a fantastic programme to follow in pregnancy. However, if you are short on funds then it is impossible to follow all the treatments and suggestions outlined in this book. For example; the pregnant woman is supposed to drink 2 different ayurvedic herbal teas every day of the pregnancy. This herbal teas is for one month's supply. Then there are the homeopatic salts that are to be taken in each different trimester, not to mention the massages that are to be booked every single week. We are also asked to cut out wheat and then gluten.Not to mention the self-hypnosis ante natal classes.It is not that I disagree at all with these methods and principles, just that if your pregnancy is not being managed by the Jayarani clinic on one of their pregnancy courses, it seems like an intimdating and overwhleming programme to follow in an already what can seem overwhelming time. Whilst there are elements of this book that I feel will be useful in my pregnancy, on the whole i just felt really out of my depth with this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 6 Oct 2014
I just don't like it

2.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if part of the Programme, 11 Jan 2012
I bought this because I thought it would give me some additional insight into how to have a 'gentle birth'. However it is more of an exercise manual for those following the Jeyarani Way Programme, which involves following a set out programme of herbs, exercise and treatments - all of which should be overseen by a Jeyarani practitioner.
Do not bother if you are not on the course/programme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 7 Sep 2011
Gita Buse (Castlebar, Mayo, IE) - See all my reviews
Very interesting. Good to know things, especially about diet and massages. I wouldn't use 100% of it, but it definitely have changed my view of healthy pregnancy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too Mother Earth, 26 April 2009
This book was recommended by a midwife friend, so I was eager to get it. It did make me a bit depressed though, as it turned out that all the things I wanted to do while being pregnant (like stuffing myself full of baquettes) were forbidden, plus I was supposed to do a number of things too gross to mention in polite conversation in order to prepare myself for the birth.

And this is it: this book makes one feel that one can actually make the birth painless and (as a result) if it is not painless it's your fault for eating carbs, not stretching various body parts, not meditating enough, not welcoming the pain, etc... Kind of makes you guilty before you even started.
So I put it away. Perhaps that's why I ended up with a c-section.

But if you into that kind of thing - it's a very well written and is user friendly book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great tips, 4 April 2008
Great book.
I wish I had it in my other pregnancies.
Great tips like avoiding wheat for easier delivery.

The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme
The Gentle Birth Method: The Month-by-month Jeyarani Way Programme by Karen Swan MacLeod (Paperback - 21 Jun 2004)