5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, history for everyman
Published on 23 April 2008 by John Richard

1.0 out of 5 stars I love my historical books
I love my historical books. Anthony beevor, richard holmes, mark urban etc. But the way this book is written, makes it unreadable too me.
Published 1 month ago by Trystan Hedges

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, history for everyman, 23 April 2008
John Richard "camban99" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Together We Stand: North Africa 1942-1943: Turning the Tide in the West (Mediterranean War 2) (Paperback)
Another epic piece of work from this prodigious young writer. I guess that most of us, of a certain at least, are aware of the outline of events that shaped WW2 around the world but have never taken the trouble to read any historical accounts, either by professional historians or by the generals who tend to publish their own accounts of how they won the war. Well this is something different, written like a novel, with personal accounts by both the generals and other participants, including the humble soldiers of all nations. Numerous reputations are made and damaged here, on the back of his obviously meticulous and copious research, we discover that both Patton and Monty were egotists of epic proportions and did not in fact cover themselves in the glory they claimed. The real genius behind the North Africa campaign we discover was in fact the quiet, unassuming General Alexander assisted in no small way by the chief of air war operations, 'Mary' Coningham, a gritty and talented New Zealander whose handling of aviation assets was vital to the eventual successful outcome. There is so much in this brilliant book that it is difficult to pick out any headline issues, perhaps the most illuminating is the unpreparedness of the allied forces, especially the US, who didn't even possess a modern army at the outset of this campaign, but who completed it with a professional, battle hardened force that has never been surpassed since. A truly remarkable exposure of little known, but important facts that have been obscured for many years by the unfortunate Hollywood version of events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 19 Feb 2006
K. Anderson (Surrey, UK.) - See all my reviews
James Holland has come from nowhere to produce the best military history book for many years, maybe the best in the last decade. If you enjoy what call “narrative” military history in the tradition of Cornelius Ryan, Max Hasting and the Rick Atkinson then Together We Stand is a must have book. It is better than the books by any of the three mentioned above and they set very high standards.
Together We Stand covers much of the same ground as the excellent An Army At Dawn by Rick Atkinson but starts far earlier in ’42. Sixty percent of the book deals with the fighting in the summer and autumn of ’42 before Torch and the North African landings.
The style is the traditional one of mixing high quality research, operational analysis and person accounts. Only James Holland does this better than even Rick Atkinson, and I am one of those who thought the hype surrounding Rick Atkinson’s An Army At Dawn was fully justified.
James Holland gives greater prominence to the air war than most books and describes that warfare more eloquently than others. But for those more interested in ground warfare, as I am, do not be alarmed as the ground war still gets the majority of the coverage and is covered in great detail.
It is a big book at over 700 pages of main text but never falters. An outstanding mixture of analysis, story telling and page turning thriller all in one. I hope there will be a long line of military histories to come form James Holland. In James Holland military history has a new star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Jun 2010
I have read many books on the second world war and this definately ranks as one of my favourites. The way Holland combines both the historical facts of the war with the personnal stories of the people fighting it, made this book extremely difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised of Bowerchalke, 6 Nov 2006
Kent Barker "Barker World" (Bowerchalke England) - See all my reviews
I live in the next village to James Holland and though it would be fun to read a book by him. I went to the libary and was shown the book that was filling a huge slot on the shelf and though oh my god i will never read this. I eventually ran out of books and picked it up and that was it i have read it like a man possed even going to bed at 9pm much to my wifes mirth for a couple of housr of uninterrupted reading. It is a brillent balance of personal account and grand over view giving the book a lovley balance. I much love this book because it really does explain the confilict so much more clearly than many of his contempories eg Antony Beevor do and it is such a large and confusing battle.

Should be compulsery reading for all A leval history students.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very comprehensive account., 10 Feb 2013
A very comprehensive account, without any glamorization of Rommel. It was after all a harsh theatre of combat.
This covers all the events until the fall of Tunis, including American involvement at El Alamein.
A lot of personal accounts are included, some of which are very moving and drawn from the many different cultures which were the amalgam called the 8th Army.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Dec 2006
P. J. Reeves "Reevesy view" (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
I found this book an excellent account of the war in North Africa. I'm hugely interested in the WWII campaigns, but this is the first book I've read that actually starts to detail the dovetailing of UK and USA forces in their first joint campaigns. A very enlightening and enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings history alive, 3 Sep 2006
Together We Stand provides further evidence of James Holland's excellence as a popular historian. Skilful handling of his source material means that Holland, for all his authority, always tells a compelling tale - made more immediate by the number of interviews with participants he himself has conducted. And he's more than happy to challenge conventional wisdom too. Of particuar interest to me were the focus he brings to the influence of 'Mary' Coningham's Desert Air Force, and his persuasive and refreshing views on the relative merits of Alexander and Monty. Astute and thoughtful on military strategy, vivid, readable and inhabited by engaging, three-dimensional characters, I can't recommend Together We Stand more highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love my historical books, 15 Nov 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Oct 2014
Fast delivery would use again