4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket bird guide
Nice introduction, with ints on attracting birds to your garden.
It's lovely and compact (3.75 x 4.25 x 0.5 inches), easy to use layout of one bird per page. Each page includes a brief section on identification, habits, feeding, breeding, voice and habitat. Also a clear photo of each bird with some sketches of juveniles.
My only minor dissapointment is on the...
Published on 7 Jan 2005 by N. Fulker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad buy....
Published on 31 Aug 2011 by Garden twitcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket bird guide, 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Nice introduction, with ints on attracting birds to your garden.
My only minor dissapointment is on the lack of data on the size of each bird.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Guide for the Casual Observer, 9 Aug 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
This is exactly what it say in the title, a handy little book of the one hundred or so species of the more common garden birds. It is possible, but hardly probable that you may see a Snowy Owl in your back garden, stranger things have happened, but if you do you won't find it in this book. If you live in the wilds of Scotland a Golden Eagle may be perched on your chimney pot at this very moment, but again you will not find it in this book.

Joking apart the book is for those who see a handsome little bird in their garden and think "I wonder what that one is called." This book will help them to identify those birds without having to fork out a great deal of money on an expensive book. It is also useful for those bird clues in crossword puzzles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the windowsill, 24 Jun 2007
Matt the Reader (The Fens, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
A lovely little book and just what I needed as a non bird watcher to identify what was coming into the garden. The book has a nice layout and is small enough to slip into your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 12 Jun 2009
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Garden Birds are great. I mean you go out in the garden and there they are.
What are they called?
Buy this book and find out!
Go Garden Birds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden Birds!, 11 Feb 2010
Mrs. R. J. Lloyd (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Another Lovely little book. Its never out of my reach, as I refer to it so often, its also small enough to carry in a pocket! The children like this book too, as its very straight forward, and lovely pictures on every page, with info on every bird. I would recommend it:)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad buy...., 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
....but not fantastic. I bought this to try & identify some of the many birds that come into my garden. I expected it to have all of the most common birds in, but was disappointed to find it only has one kind of sparrow in it! As sparrows are in decline I was hoping to be able to figure out which is which, but alas, it appears I will have to buy another book to figure that one out. It did, however, have the funny little bird in that I was scratching my head about & had never seen before. It also has sections on other birds, most of which you are not that likely to see in your garden. I doesn't even have the Thrush in it! So, it's an OK book, but not as comprehensive as I was expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Little Guide, 26 Feb 2009
D. King (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
A handy pocket sized book full of colour pictures with a brief description of each bird featured. It's sorted in categories rather than alphabetically but as it only features 100 birds, it's fairly easy to find what you're looking for.
Recommended for people who are just curious as to what birds are in their garden.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great litttle guide, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I got this book for my mum who has recently retired and was trying to figure out what kind of birds visited her new bird table. Its a super little book with photos and drawings of both adults and juveniles without having to wade through a huge ammount of birds uncommon to britain. Also contains a handy description of bird behaviour, which helped to distinguish similar looking birds. My mum is thrilled, and every time her grandkids turn up they use it too, so a whole tribe of budding twitchers has begun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins Garden Birds, 10 July 2010
Mr. M. D. Dugdale "Malcolm Rhiwbina" (Cardiff Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
Lovely little book. Everything we need for amateur bird watching. Great price - just hope we see half of the birds shown in the book in our garden!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Windowsill Guide!!, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Garden Birds (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I am glad I ordered this pocket guide. It is very informative and the clear photos & illustrations of each species both juvenile and adult I have found useful when trying to identify a new visitor to the garden.
The book is very suitable for the beginner and birds can be found by name or by area where they were seen - Garden birds of Britain and Ireland; Town & Park birds; European garden birds.
Most of the species are featured over 2 pages & gives both common & latin names, how to identify it, it's habits, feeding, breeding, sounds it makes and when & where it is found. At the front there is also useful tips on how to encourage birds into the garden & how to care for them.
My only criticism (and the reason I have only given it 4 stars) is that it is very small compared to other pocket guides around and it could be improved by enlarging photos as some are rather small.
Overall it is a great book at a great price!!

Garden Birds (Collins Gem)
Garden Birds (Collins Gem) by Stephen Moss (Paperback - 12 April 2012)
3.99