5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive history of Calcio
Having grown up through the days of Rivera, Mazzola, Sivori, Charles when Italian football was the most important thing in everyone's life, this book gave me a very good background of the way the modern game has developed in Italy. Controversial in parts with its description of certain characters (Nereo Rocco for one), but accurately puts its finger on the reasons for...
Published on 18 April 2012 by Guido

3.0 out of 5 stars Good without being amazing
It took me a while to read the whole book; I found myself dipping in and out of it, and I guess that is the good and bad about it: you can read it and enjoy it but it ain't going to set your world alight in the way that Tardelli or Zola did. Foot clearly knows his stuff and has done his research and some of the book is very interesting, but a lot of it drags on rather, as...
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by Ivan

4.0 out of 5 stars happy with my purchase, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
I have only just started reading this book and I like what I see. Also the book arrived well on time and in a very good condition. I shall be ordering more books in the near future.

Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
Not got round to reading all of the book, but I have read certain parts and found it interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the history of Italian football.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
A fantastic book covering most of the turning points and major scandals of Italian football. Delivery was quick and it is definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico!, 8 April 2006
By A Customer
A brillian book. Authoritative, fascinating, highly readable and at times very funny. The author looks at all aspects of Italian football - its long and complicated history, the fans, the players, the scandals (of which there are many), the referees and why Italians hate them, violence (there is a superb section on Heysel), foreigners and all other aspects. Buy it now!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate for Britons. The rest of the world, not so much., 13 Mar 2008
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
I'm sympathetic towards the difficulty in getting in more information and pages in a book that already spans 500+ pages. I am, truly. But I feel there's a very misguided balance between what would be important in explaining Italian football and what the author feels just 'had' to be in there (see: seemingly endless words spent re-hashing the failures and few successes of British players in Italy).
I found it great in the beginning, but my enthusiasm quickly wore down as I progressed through the chapters and timeline of calcio. As items I am myself comfortable in my knowledge of came up, numerous mistakes on behalf of the author were exposed. I believe my final count of the different years mentioned for Roma's third scudetto win came to four, only mentioning the correct (2001) once. And there are many of these seemingly minor flaws (another that has stuck is the statement that Bologna is on the stockmarket; it is in fact probably the last club that would consider it, its presidents over the years leading the charge against the very 'financial doping' so very associated with the three clubs on the Milano stock exchange).

But the lack of understanding, on the part of the author, what's important is my main beef; a revolutionary coach such as Liedholm, who held such great esteem in his adopted country and was also a fantastic player in his day, 'godfather' of many of today's great coaches is mentioned only in passing. If I believed it to be intentional and not a very unfortunate overlook and miscalculation I'd deem it an insult of the highest magnitude. (Liedholm's fellow Swede at Milan in the 50's, Nordahl has been erased from Foot's history books, his incredible goal scoring record ignored and shunned, himself not even mentioned, as far as my memory serves, and if he was, like Liedholm only in passing).

But the book can probably serve well as a superficial reading for mainly a British audience who actually cares much for what Ian Rush wrote in his journal; I, most certainly, did not whatsoever.

2.0 out of 5 stars More dictionary than history, 3 April 2007
There is some wonderful material here, but it is wasted (I assume by the editors, who had typical English football supporters in mind) by the annoying sub headings and a bizarre running order. The prose comes across as stilted, and simply does not flow (it is not allowed to flow). There is no narrative, and though billed as a history of Italian football is, alas, more a dictionary of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 3 Jun 2006
Loved this - stuffed with facts and well written. Not just a chronological trawl through the facts but set out on a more random pattern.

As someone who know very little about the nitty gritty of Italian football, it was a real eye opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bellissimo!, 10 Mar 2009
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
In Italy, football is far more than just a game. It's a part of life. The loyalties and passions of those involved in the italian game and it's fan can get to quite extreme levels.

Thus this volume is far more than just a history of the game in italy, it also looks at the effect it has on the people.

It runs for roughly 548 pages, in fifteen chapters and a short afterword. The chapters in addition to covering the history of how the game got going in italy also do look at cultural aspects, such as the relationship of the italian people with the national team, some of the foreign players who have played for italian clubs over the years, and the supporter groups called ultras, the most fanatical supporters of them all.

Each chapter is divided into sub sections, which makes for nice ease of reading. There are the occasional black and white photos in the middle of the text.

The book is fully indexed, has a glossary to explain certain words, and a long section of notes listing lots of sources quoted. all such quotes are numbered in the main text and you can turn to the notes if you awnt to find where they originated.

This is a nicely comprehensive volume, but it's also a good and absorbing read. Italian football has a bit of a cult following in britain, thanks to tv coverage over the past seventeen or so years. I'm part of that following and thus I throughly enjoyed every page of this. It taught me things I didn't know. If you've not ever taken an interest in italian football [the book does make the very good point about the perception that it's overly defensive that italians are not defensively minded, rather they're just better at defending than players from other countries. for them kicking the ball out is the last not the first option] then try it anyway. It may not convert you, but you should find it an interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and well-paced read., 13 Mar 2008
Grant Coleby (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book (the updated edition with Cannavaro lifting the World Cup on the cover.) The author obviously knows his calcio. As a follower of Italian football I found this book to be a very fluid read and allowed me to discover the foundations of the game in Italy, the great teams of the past (Torino, Inter, Genoa, Juventus), the managers and players who helped make the game what is is today, wrapped in an analysis of the social and political context of the country.

I thought the author wrote very well and at a level which would be engaging for the layperson. Of course, when dealing with a history of a subject, it is difficult not to write in a style which some readers might find list-like. I didn't and I'm sure that the vast majority of readers wouldn't. The book is written with a skew towards British players (e.g the `Foreigners' chapter is Brit dominated) but the author is British and the book is aimed at a British market, so I don't think this can be a criticism.

The Heysel and Superga tragedies are mentioned very sensitively. My only criticism would be the black and white pictures which didn't do the text justice. Overall I thought the book was authoritative, comprehensive with the right level of humour interspersed. I would recommend this book to all those with an interest in the beautiful game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forza Azzuri, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Calcio: A History of Italian Football (Paperback)
If you're a football fan of any description and this book isn't on your shelf then either drop a hint that you want this book as a gift or go out and buy it for yourself. This is an absolute belter - it doesn't just focus on the remarkable achievements of Italian football but also into the inter-club rivalries, the history of how each of the great sides became great and, hardly surprising in Italian life, the scandals that have dogged even the most legendary of clubs. Beautifully written, 'Calcio' grabs you pretty much from the start and is absolutely rivetting stuff in parts. I read this on hols - and spent the second week of the hol re-reading it I enjoyed it so much. Very highly recommended.

Calcio: A History of Italian Football
Calcio: A History of Italian Football by John Foot (Paperback - 20 Aug 2007)
9.09