5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny children book
I am italian and I bought this book for my 3 years old son, I also have it in italian but sometimes I like read it in original language... The story is very very funny and it teachs you the some of real value of life. I like so much Dr. Seuss and I think this is one of the best history. For children and adults.
Published on 30 Nov 2009 by S. Marinelli

2.0 out of 5 stars Collectors beware!
The storey is great but the copyright of this particular book reads:

"Copyright 1954 by Dr Seuss.Copyright renewed 1982 by Dr Suess"

Collectors beware sales which misrepresent!
Published on 16 Nov 2010 by Fossrad

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny children book, 30 Nov 2009
S. Marinelli "Stefania" (Roma, Italia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horton Hears A Who!: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Yellow Back Books) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Powerful Hear and Respect the Vocal Downtrodden!, 5 Sep 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Horton Hears a Who! was one of her picks.
On the surface, this is a story about an elephant going the extra mile to respect those who are as different from him as they can possibly be.
"He was splashing . . . enjoying the jungle's great joys . . .
When Horton the elephant heard a small noise."
He notices a speck of dust, passing in the air. With his large ears, he can hear something coming from that dust. Quickly, he imagines that there is some sort of a creature of very small size on the dust.
No one else believes him, and he is taunted and tortured by the other animals . . . who cannot hear the small noise. They think Horton has gone mad! After tribulations that would daunt any decent, dedicated elephant, he must find a way to convince the other animals before they overwhelm him and destroy the dust (and the Whos along with it!).
He tells the tiny Whos to make as much noise as possible. But still the other animals cannot hear them. Finally, the mayor of the Whos finds a shirker who is playing with his yo-yo rather than making noise. As soon as the small Who makes his sound, all the animals can hear. Then the Whos are safe.
The metaphor here is that the strong must protect the weak, but the weak must also be as outspoken as possible if the strong are going to be able to help them. That can make for a wonderful discussion about bullies and pushy children in school.
Beyond that, I have always seen this book as Dr. Seuss's apology for his sometimes anti-Japanese cartoons (including an anti-Japanese-American version) during the early days of World War II when he was a political cartoonist (see Dr. Seuss Goes to War). Why do I think that? The book is dedicated as follows: "For My Great Friend, Mitsugi Nakamura of Kyoto, Japan". I read that as being dedicated to all those of Japanese ancestry as well. In this eloquent plea for common decency, Dr. Seuss rises to be a great man.
Discuss with your child when and where these concepts might come into play. Younger siblings and cousins can provide a good starting point. Then you can go on to talk about the role of parents in helping their children. You'll have a wonderful chat, the first of many.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horton the elephant triumphs again!, 24 April 2000
By A Customer
My five year old granddaugter loved this book. We have an arrangement whereby I buy Dr. Seuss books and she reads them to me. Then when she has finished them she takes them home. We had to spend the whole train journey back to her mother reading this because she had loved "Horton Hatches the Egg" so much, found that this seemed as good and wanted to take both books home. We finished it as the train pulled into the station! The humour is as gentle and zany as I expect from Theodore Geisel. The lesson the book teaches is valuable and its delivery delightful. The story is so gripping that I too wanted to get to the end. I strongly recommend this for young readers - and of course for their grandparents. One word of warning: the book is labelled "for the slightly more able". It is for readers who are fluent but young, not beginning beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars reading & autism, 7 Jan 2011
I purchased the book for my 9 year old grandson who is autistic.
He loves all the works of Dr Seuss. Obviously these books are
excellent because they hold the attention of an autistic child and that is one of the hardest things to do. He will sit and read these books from cover to cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Horton, 4 Nov 2007
Marta (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
All children should have the oportunity to read about Horton. He is brave and has a great and tender soul. He can teach us all that being good and being helpful makes the world a better place.I highly recomend this book as well as Horton hatches and egg.

4.0 out of 5 stars meaningful book !, 10 July 2014
This a fun meaningful book which is enjoyed by children as well as adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 23 Jun 2014
We love this book and have read it many times. The pictures in particular make us laugh and we enjoy the little details. The story is so touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service., 9 May 2014
Bought as a gift for my friends grandson. Very good book and exactly as described. Arrived quickly and would recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars So nice to have the actual book as well as the movie, 10 April 2014
Mrs. EJ Harris (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Lovely version although some of the print is quite hard to read - black print on dark blue background - always tricky to read in the lamplight at bedtime - no problem now we have read it 50 times - we know it off by heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Godson loves it!, 9 Jun 2013
Bought as a gift for his Birthday.
He loves it, but as yet mum has to read it to him and she loves it too!
Highly recommended