5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!
After a few of the middle books in The Keys to the Kingdom series being a bit slow compared to the start, I hoped very much that this one would be a worthy final instalment. The story moves between three main characters, but unlike some books where parts could become dull, the pace never relents.
Although the ending is a little brief I thought it was a great way to...
Published on 17 Mar 2010 by Miss E. Rossa

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced
I got bored with this series in book 5 and 6, but decided that I had come this far and I was so close to the end that I had to finish. I just hoped this book would be better, it had a lot to wrap up and questions to answer and a lot of expectations to meet.
Published 14 months ago by Barmy_Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
I actually did find myself enjoying this one more to start with, I went into it with an open mind, and I liked the set up, Leaf trapped at the hospital after the catastrophe, Suzy taking more control and stepping up and then Arthur - finally accepting what he is and willing to use his powers. Then we meet Lord Sunday, Saturday was a disappointment to me so I wanted him to be a formidable enemy and he seemed like he would be, he doesn't just fold or give up, he fights back making Arthur work for his success.
But then it slowed down, Arthur gets trapped, tries to escape and find the Will etc, but it's drawn out. Parts of it were good, I liked the twist with 'elephant' but the rest was trying to build up the tension a little bit too much.
I love that Leaf is more involved, but it seemed quite forced, like he couldn't really come up with a logical reason for her being there so he adds in a few disasters and twists and there she is. But in the big scheme she still doesn't really do much.
I did feel like this book got a bit slow again, at one point I was literally just reading because I wanted to finish, I almost just read the last chapter but held myself back.
But at the same time I would come across bits of the story I really enjoyed again and would speed up again. This book really kept me on the fence.
By the time I reached the last chapter I actually would have said overall that I actually did enjoy the book, I felt a bit happier, then that last chapter happened - WHAT WAS THAT?!?!
Seriously, what was that ending, what was the point of it. Where was he going with that? it was just seriously weird and totally unbelievable in my opinion. I just didn't get it. I mean Why?
So overall, I don't really know what to say, yes it had good moments but it also had slow ones too, I wasn't left with a satisfied feeling of finishing a good series, I felt a bit deflated actually. Quite disappointing. But if you've come this far in the series it has to be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 17 Mar 2010
Miss E. Rossa (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
Although the ending is a little brief I thought it was a great way to finish, with all the most important threads wrapped up nicely. It was cleverly done and I certainly didn't see what happened coming! I think I might reread the series to see if I missed any hints to the ending.
Totally worth the wait! I don't think many will be disappointed. Now Garth Nix has finished these, I wouldn't mind a new book in the Abhorsen series. I suppose I can hope!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Conclusion of an Excellent Series, 11 Mar 2010
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
Garth Nix must be one of the most imaginative writers around today. His books are always fast paced, enjoyable, laced with a wonderful dry humour that sets off the darker themes and plots perfectly. In the Keys to the Kingdom series, he puts all his talents to good effect for a younger age group than some of his other works. Nevertheless these are not just books to be enjoyed by younger readers. There are wonderful characters who become good friends in the series, and deeper explorations of ideas in a style reminiscent of - but to my mind much better than - Philip Pullman.

As the book reached its climax, it had me turning pages as fast as I could, desperate to find out what would happen next. The last few chapters were a perfect ending to a series that never failed to offer something new at each turn, and left plenty to ponder. As I turned the last page, I closed this book with a sigh, put it down and thought to myself - now *that* was a good story.

Thoroughly recommended - but if you found this page first, note that this series begins with "Mister Monday", and this book is the seventh and last of the series (no prizes for guessing the order of the other books!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, 7 Mar 2010
Mr. J. Halle (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
Lord Sunday, being the concluding book of a very enjoyable series, should in its very nature wrap up the events of the last six books, bring character arcs to a close and have an element of closure; or disclosure. Do not get me wrong Lord Sunday has all these things in abundance, however somewhere along the line it forgot to make itself anything more than that. The chapters with Arthur in are nothing more than an extended drawn out end chapter of a book. In essence I feel robbed of the thrill and adventure that had suffused the other books and made them morish. This isn't to say that Arthur's final moments in the house aren't exhilerating, but they are very brief. Gone is the long adventure through a new aspect of the house, allies, betrayals, adventure. Instead there are lengthy sections following the tedious adventures of Suzy and Leaf, who although add the element of adventure into the book, the conclusion makes all of this redundant, and ultimately unneccessary.

In particular, Lord Sunday himself is completly uninspired. The Piper, Superior Saturday,The Old One, Dame Primus, The Architect, The Mariner: All held a wonderful place in my heart( None quite reaching the heady days of Monday's Dusk, who remains my favourite)are dealt with brusquely and inconsequentially. But even that does not ammount to the disappointment of Lord Sunday and his servants, who are hastily sketched, un-memorable and in comparison to the other characters within the novel completly flawed concepts. The potential was there, but it was not exercised. Instead little jokes with Suzy and contextualisation with Leaf, lead to nothing more than a summation of the other books with a few old jokes recycled for the hell of it.

I do not think it is a bad book but neither is it like the others: a good book. Arthur's chapters are mainly pointless, until the end, where there is an excellent culmination scene, which is rushed through monstrously, ending 7 books of storyline for some characters with one or two uninspiring lines. Then the ending is quite enjoyable after that. It makes sense, it is solid, it is clear that this was always the intention for the books.

But gone is the romance of getting there. Instead, you walk through a drab and boring shell of a book...that I can only hope was rushed due to publishing contracts, rather than actually designed to be that way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 31 May 2010
Book Worm (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
I re-read the previous books in order to refresh myself on the story before i read the last one, thinking it was going to be an amazing climax to the series. It just felt like a continuation of the Saturday book whereas up until now, each one has been a separate story. I finished it in less than a couple of hours and was sorely disappointed at the ending. It feels rushed and as though the author took the easy way out. As someone else has said, a tragic loss for arthur is skimmed over with barely a thought - so much so you're wondering if it ever really happens. The ending is rushed and disjointed, and not a fit ending for the series. Sorry Garth, really poor effort on this book. Gave it three stars because it is an ending of sorts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this series of books and would recommend these for any child with an imagination and this company for their prompt service

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
last in the keys to the kingdom series. Another gripping story that kept my 12year old captivated. Highly recommend this

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Jan 2014
I have read this series many times and I just love it. admittedly the series can seem a bit samey however stick with it as the story is just magical, comical and lovable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting conclusion, 21 Oct 2013
I think after six previous books it was very much the telling of this tale that would define this book and not the ending. That said, the ending was still ambitious.

4.0 out of 5 stars The end - at last, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) (Paperback)
The last of a seven book series. All of an equal character. A reasonable read probably aimed at teenagers and childish pensioners like me.

Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7)
Lord Sunday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 7) by Garth Nix (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)
5.24