5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite in my childhood and still top notch!, 13 Sept. 2014
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Having seen a trailer at the cinema for a forthcoming film version of Paddington, I downloaded this book to read to my daughter, realising that although Paddington had been a favourite in my childhood, I hadn't yet shared it with her. It was even better than I remembered, and she loved it too, laughing out loud as I read it to her. She's keen to read further books in the series herself (she's 11, and I had wondered whether she might be too old for it, but clearly not). There were the odd bits that I needed to translate e.g. explaining the concept of seaside photographers who used to offer photo services to tourists, with big cameras using photographic plates - out of date even when I read this book as a child, and archaic in an age when everyone takes snaps on their phones and tablets. It therefore jars that the publisher has updated the currency in the book from pre-decimal to decimal currency, which doesn't make sense - I'm sure there were no photographers working like this post decimalisation (1971). But such issues are always a dilemma when reading classic children's literature.

It was an added bonus to find at the end a short, pleasant essay by the author describing how he first came to write the Paddington books, which have eclipsed everything else he ever wrote, as far as I'm aware. It was a lovely story, but then oddly contradicted by a the publisher's "About the author" bit afterwards, which gave a completely different and far less compelling account. Ok, so which is it? I prefer to believe the Bond's version - but the publisher ought to have spotted this, and to get their facts right. Not affecting my five star rating here, though, as those stars belong to Paddington and his creator, not to the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny and charming childrens classic, 11 Jun. 2008
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
Recently reintroduced to Paddington as my 8 year old daughter has been reading it. It made me laugh out loud - highly recommended particularly for young readers who don't like fantasy literature - Paddington is wonderfully real.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bear Who's Always Making Mistakes, 7 Jan. 2015
Arachne202 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
I've just read this out loud to my seven-year-old daughter at bedtime, and she likes the "always making mistakes" aspect of the stories.

Written in the 1950s, this is the first collection of stories about Paddington, a bear who arrives at Paddington Station with a suitcase and a label around his neck, all the way from Darkest Peru. He is adopted for no apparent reason by the Brown family (I guess times were less suspicious then), and taken home to live with them in their London home.

The gentle humour of the stories comes from Paddington effectively behaving like an alien visiting from another planet. He has never used a modern bath before, been to a play, been to the seaside, visited a department store, ridden an escalator, had tea and cakes in a café etc. etc., and he approaches each new experience with great enthusiasm and an amazing amount of cack-handedness - plus unfailing politeness to everybody else involved, and a repertoire of hard stares for anybody who's making a fuss.

My daughter mostly smiled during the stories, with the occasional laugh out loud. (Paddington's magic show particularly tickled her.) She would like more books from the series. Reading age 8+ years, if the child's reading it for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids, 9 Nov. 2009
J. Scrimgeour - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
I bought this book by accident, as I really wanted the picutre book for a 4 year old and this was too much text for her to read. But, I bought the picture book and gave her older sisters this book to read to her so she gets the whole store of Paddington Bear (taking British culture to the Americans) - she loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Paddington, 10 July 2011
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
I have known the books about Paddington for ages. I bought this one as a gift. It's a shame these books are much less popular now than some 20 years ago, they are classics for children and adults, just like "Winnie the Pooh", my other favourite. A note: I am a grandmother now, I read Paddington to my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Mar. 2009
R. Leslie (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This collection of Paddington Bear stories is lovely and Stephen Fry reads these classic stories in a highly engaging manner. My children (aged 4 and 6) had not come across Paddington before but often now request these stories to listen to in bed, the only disadvantage being that unlike a lot of their other stories on CD, they actually stay awake to listen to them! The Paddington stories have stood the test of time very well, and are just as good as I remember them being from my childhood (watching the cartoons on TV). The CDs are good value too, with well over 2 hours of playing time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bear Called Paddington, 9 Nov. 2010
I bought this for my baby cousin as a present for his christening. This is a special edition book to celebrate 50 years of Paddington. It's a lovely hard back book with good quality pages, that's really good value.
I just hope my cousin will grow up to love Paddington as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic childrens book, 8 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This is an absolute classic childrens book. I have been reading it to my three boys aged 8 and 4 each night. They really enjoy it and it is the one sure way to get them to bed with no fuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Popular Paddington, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
Bought this for my six year old nephew and while he absolutely loved it it was a bit too old for him. It would be better suited to seven years and over I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 29 Jan. 2010
Jenni (Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bear Called Paddington (Paperback)
One of my childhood favourites, I bought it on Amazon for a Spanish friend who has moved to the Paddington area in London and she is also hooked! Lovely to read to your kids or for the older ones to read themselves. A classic!

A Bear Called Paddington
A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2014)